• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry T-Shirt?

Orygunner

imported post

Hi,

I'm new to the forums here, an almost lifetime Oregon resident, and full supporter of the individual's right to keep and bear arms for protection of self, family, property, and state.

I've carried openly from time to time (usually while going to or coming back from "plinking" in the woods), and have even carried a concealed handgun while hunting deer (as ORS 166.260 (2)(b) allows).

I'm considering open carry until I go for my Concealed Handgun License, but I'm somewhat torn between a few different schools of thought.

1. Wearing a handgun openly in public, although perfectly legal, calls unwanted attention to yourself and may cause a problem with ignorant people & law enforcement

2. By practicing open carry, you have the opportunity to educate people about our rights and the law.

3. By carrying concealed, nobody knows, nobody gets educated (unless something happens and you have to use it).

I've browsed through the Forum here for a little while, and seen some neat stories about opportunities to educate the public and some law enforcement about the law and our rights as law-abiding citizens, but also about some getting funny looks and still others about nobody noticing at all.

My idea is this: How about an "Open Carry T-shirt"?

Medium Lettering on Front & Back:

"Yes, it's LEGAL" (with an arrow pointing towards your hip)
"Ask me about YOUR Rights to keep and bear arms!"

or maybe,

"Law-Abiding Citizen" (Large letters)
"Yes, it's Legal!" (Medium letters, arrow towards hip)
"Ask me about YOUR Rights!" (Smaller letters)

The shirt could be either day-glo orange (or similar) for those wanting to be real advocates for open carry and educating the public, or just a generic dull color shirt with a contrasting color for those wanting to be less conspicuous, but still a positive advocate for our rights.

What doyou think?

Orygunner.

t3rmin

imported post

I appreciate the sentiment, but unfortunately I think it'll be ruled that drawing attention to it/yourself in that way is a Bad Idea(tm).

SetivaSicWood

imported post

I get where your coming from. It's a good idea but has the potential for unintended events. Somehow it will scare someone and you'll get confronted.

Some cities prohibit loaded open carry w/o a CHL.

Anothershirt saying "Yes, it's legal to carry this unloaded handgun" might be worth considering. ;)

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

ssp%202.jpg

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/images/ssp 2.jpg
:celebrate