• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senator Stevens support for Vitters' amendment

Flintlock

imported post

Here is Senator Stevens' response to my request for his support onthe admendment (S.A.4757) from Senator Vitter.

Thanks for contacting me regarding the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act of 2007, H.R.980. I will remember your support for S.A.4757, an amendment offered on May 15, 2008, to permit the transportation of a concealed firearm by a person not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping or receiving a firearm.]

As a former member of the NRA's Board of Directors, I have long been a defender of our Second Amendment rights. I have sought to protect firearm owners' constitutional rights, civil liberties, and rights to privacy. I am an original cosponsor of the Senate version of this bill, S.2123.

On September 6, 2007, the Senate approved a gun rights amendment to the Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, for fiscal year 2008. I voted for this amendment that specifically prohibits the use of funds by international organizations, agencies, and entities for requiring the registration or taxes on guns owned by U.S. citizens.

You may be interested to know that S.1001, a bill to restore Second Amendment rights in the District of Columbia, was introduced to the Senate on March 27, 2007. I am an original co-sponsor of this bill.

My support for our Second Amendment rights remains undiminished, and I firmly believe that controlling guns is no substitute for enforcing existing laws and controlling criminals. I do not support placing restrictions or unnecessary burdens on the legitimate right of Americans to purchase and possess guns.

With best wishes

Cordially,

TED STEVENSU.S. Senator