• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Barnes and Noble in Reston

NetRangerM

imported post

Was browsing about the Reston Barnes and Noble this afternoon OCing my Glock 19 when an employee came up and asked me to leave the store, citing "Store Policy" that prohibited carrying weapons in the store. Unfortunately, I was on the phone with a family member at the time, and couldn't break off the phone to discuss the matter, so I simply made my way to the exit.

I've carried in that sorre and numerous other Barnes and Noble Locations before without ever having any issues, even when dealing with store management on other matters like locating a book or whatnot. Does anyone here know what the official Barnes and Noble policy is regarding OC or CC in their store? Did a search, but couldn't find much ouside of this post, but that appears to deal more with cops:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=3671&forum_id=54

Anyone know if there is an official policy against carrying? Or did this guy just make something up because he didn't like what I was doing?

Thanks,
NetRangerM

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Go back tomorrow, carry your gun, pick up one of every gun book they have, walk to the register and ask them what their gun policy is.

When they say no guns, tell them that you were going to buy all of the books and now you wont and just leave them on the counter for them to put away. :)

NetRangerM

imported post

Lol. Why not really screw with their heads, and pick up every Anti-gun book I can find? Barnes and Noble does have such a delightfully large fiction section after all. I can almost imagine the consternation on their faces when a man with a gun walks up, arms laden with every treatise ever written by some Brady-esque fool. the only downside to that is if this guy today wa wrong, and their is no such policy, then I'm standing at the register with a pile of stuff I wouldn't want to waste my money on.

Hmmmmmmm...... Decisions, Decisions.......

NetRangerM

hsmith

imported post

Call the manager, get the policy. If that fails, or you get a bad response, call the district manager, and so on.

Was it the manager or some $8/hr kid?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Recommend you PM unrequited to ask him about it. I can't recall whether he managed to get a B&N policy or not, but I believe the manager there told him it was not a B&N policy.

caltain

imported post

Like you, I'm a bit surprised. I've carried there openly at least a hundred times. I've OCd there in all seasons, at all times of the day, and had mayn't interactions with the floor staff, and of course the checkout folks. Never once had an issue or even a second glance that I caught. I'm betting that he assumed a policy, or flat made it up 'cause he's nervous about guns. I suppose that another clerk could even have put him up to it, saying that there was a policy.

I'll be happy to meet you there to OC & see what happens. One is just a guy, but two is a trend or even a movement. I've supported myself off of retail when the tech work was thin. I know what buttons to push...

I'd also be happy to contact corporate and get the scoop, if you don't want to, or whatever.

PM me with the clerk's name, if you got it. I know you were on the phone. A description would do, or you could point him out if we hook up. I want to make sure that he at least applies the policy to everyone, if it exists.
Dan

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I frequently OC at the Barnes and Noble in Manassas. Also the Borders in both Manassas and Warrenton. Never a problem. Not long ago at checkout (B&N, Manassas), the young man asked me a bunch of questions and even asked me to hang around as he finished up the next person in line to ask more questions. All in a very positive manner. He was all for it.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

I've open carried at two different Barnes and Nobles in the Richmond area several dozen times without incident.

The employee was making things up - or getting confused (as employees often do) about a "no gun at work" policy that applies only to employees.

If you approach the manager, be sure to be as calm and sensible as possible - you don't want to corner a risk-averse manager who then feels no other option but to tell you guns are not allowed!

caltain

imported post

Went by the Reston BN today to get some mags and look for some books on various topics. Not a glance or word from the 6 employees I worked with. Seems I got really needy today. Your guy is full of it. I even made it a point to turn weakside for long periods and always keep the help on my strong side. Nothing.

NetRangerM

imported post

Thanks for all the input. I've sent a message off to their Customer service department, so We'll see what they have to say. I read back through the posts started by Unrequited that I linked to above, and Tess was right, mention was made there that a manager had said there was no such policy.

One way or another, I will be going back in a few days to pick up a book that the nice folks at the customer service desk ordered for me before their coworker kicked me out. I'll let you all know what happens when I go back in to get it.

Anyone up for joining me? There's a starbucks there for the caffeine junkies amongst us.

Mmmmmm......... Caffeine..........

NetRangerM

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I get up hugely early for work, and so crash just as early. But if it is a good day/time for me I will be willing to join you. I've never had a problem at a BN before either.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've OCd at several B&N stores myself, most often at Springfield, with nary a problem as well.

unrequited

imported post

( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/3671-1.html -- long thread )

harry_potter_carry.jpg

...threatening... I know...

Yeah, Tess remembered I had a bad experience there but I think that was more because of Harry Potter night than B&N. B&N's corporate policy and I have this recorded from the district manager who handles all of DC, VA, MD is that B&N respects the laws of the state that they're in, but they'd "prefer" you leave it in the car.

Here's my call with the district manager Bob Crabtree. It's long and boring... a ten-minute-fourty-second wishy-washy answer which is mostly positive and finally a conceeded answer that there is no prohibition.

1:10 -- "Not a stated policy... no."

1:45 -- "Is it a written policy, no it's not."

6:10 -- "Not policy (prohibit) but I'd prefer if you didn't" (open carry).

I ask him again about the written policy and there is none prohibiting legally carried firearms. Yeah, it's a wishy-washy answer, but it's the best I could get. Here it is:

http://www.christopherwu.net/files/bn/2007-08-09-bob_crabtree_district_manager_call.mp3

I'm sorry but I don't have his # anymore, I'm assuming you could get it from any B&N store in the area. For yourself though, I've open carried into the same store (Potomac Yard in Alexandria) and others in the area about once every three weeks at the minimum (sometimes more than once a week) and haven't had a single problem since by any manager. Sorry to hear yours didn't go so well. If you have any other questions, lemmie know.

Rey

imported post

NetRanger,

Just let me know the time and date bro, I'll see about making it out there. Any weekday after six will do fine for me.

NetRangerM

imported post

Sure thing, I'll post here when my book comes in and when I'm gonna swing by and pick it up.

Unrequited - Thanks for the link to the phone conversation. I know you said you don't have his phone number any more, but would you happen to have an e-mail address or something? I'd love to have an e-mail from someone high up in corporate on hand just in case I happen to run into this guy again. I've sent one off to their customer service department online, but no telling when I'll here back from them.

Of course, naturally if more than just me goes back there, nothing will happen. If nothing else though, it'll be a good chance to meet some of you foks.

I'll post back soon.

NetRangerM

unrequited

imported post

I got nothing... I had a folder with all the info, but I can't seem to find it now. Just ask the manager at your local store for Bob Crabtree's info, they should know him by name.

NetRangerM

imported post

Had 2 things for B&N in my inbox this afternoon.

First, the book I ordered is in stock, and I can pick it up whenever. I'm pretty busy the next few days, and was thinking of going in sometime this weekend.

Secondly, I had a reply from a supervisor in the Customer Retention Department. I copied it below for anyone who would like to read it. Doesn't say much, but I hope to hear back from them again soon. I'm hoping that they're actually doing something, the last tiem I had to e-mail customer service I got a reply same day. This took a few days to get back to me.

Anyways, I'll let you all know what the final outcome is.

Thanks,

NetRangerM

Dear Mr. ________,

Thank you for your email.

We are currently researching your concerns and will follow-up with you
regarding this in the near future.

We appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Mary Ausman
Supervisor, Customer Retention
Barnes & Noble, Inc.
122 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10011

Rey

imported post

This weekend is father's day, so I'll be out of town. I'll be back by monday though! Hope I make the party.