• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Barnes and Noble in Reston

NetRangerM

imported post

Hey guys,

Sorry I never posted anything over the weekend, wound up house and dog sitting for a friend up in MD over the weekend. Anyways, was thinking of heading back to the bookstore tonight around 7 to grab that book I ordered if any of you all still want to join in. Still haven't heard anything from B&N corporate, so I tried following up again this afternoon. Hopefull I'll hear back from them again in the next day or two.

NetRangerM

caltain

imported post

You're on, buddy. Buy you a cup @ Charbucks when I get there.

We can meet there, then just duck around the corner to get your book and wander around. Pretty much have to see us if you're a rightie, too. I'll be the guy with the gun on my hip and a smile on my face.

Dan

treadresistant

imported post

I spent about 45 minutes in the Clarendon B&N, a lot of it was spent next to the escalator with lots of staff coming and going. Not so much as an awkward glance.

caltain

imported post

Mike and I spent a fair amount of time at the store, waited in the line at the info desk, and twice through the checkout line. Also spent 5 or 10 chatting next to the checkout counter and a lap through the mags and stacks. Not a second glance. Guess this was just one aberrant employee with a chip on his shoulder and a card hanging from his neck.

All in all, it was a good time. Mike's a great guy.

NetRangerM

imported post

Dan,

Was nice to meet you off the boards as well. Let me know if you ever want to meet up for a cup of coffee again, I'm buying next time.

We should try to get some sort of outing or dinner going in Reston sometime for those of us in the area.

NetRangerM

NetRangerM

imported post

Well it took a while, but this past week I finally got a chance to speak on the phone with someone with B&N's customer retention department, the same supervisor who initially responded to my e-mail a few weeks ago. We had a pleasant conversation in which she confirmed that Barnes and Noble does not have a standing firearms policy for their stores, preferring instead to follow the laws of the state the store was in. From what she was able to find out, another customer had seen me in the store that day and had gone to complain to the manager. The manager, in turn, came to me and asked me to leave under the guise of store policy. As there is no such policy, it was "inappropriate" for me to have been asked to leave and "should not have happened" (Quotations are her word) Furthermore, she told me that both the store management and the district manager had been "Recoached" to prevent further incidents, so it seems that everything has been handled. I've been back to the store twice since I spoke with her, and absolutely nothing has happened, hopefully it will remain that way.

NetRangerM

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

NetRangerM wrote:
Well it took a while, but this past week I finally got a chance to speak on the phone with someone with B&N's customer retention department, the same supervisor who initially responded to my e-mail a few weeks ago. We had a pleasant conversation in which she confirmed that Barnes and Noble does not have a standing firearms policy for their stores, preferring instead to follow the laws of the state the store was in. From what she was able to find out, another customer had seen me in the store that day and had gone to complain to the manager. The manager, in turn, came to me and asked me to leave under the guise of store policy. As there is no such policy, it was "inappropriate" for me to have been asked to leave and "should not have happened" (Quotations are her word) Furthermore, she told me that both the store management and the district manager had been "Recoached" to prevent further incidents, so it seems that everything has been handled. I've been back to the store twice since I spoke with her, and absolutely nothing has happened, hopefully it will remain that way.

NetRangerM
Good for you! And great that you followed up on it.

This is how it should work and you helped everyone with your actions. A big thank you.

RichB 99GTP

imported post

I know this is a bit old, but there is a current thread in the Colorado forum that is similar. This is the email that I got back from the same "Mary" in Customer Retention regarding B&N open carry:

Thank you for your email.

While we are unable to discuss customer situations with an uninvolved
third part, to answer your question, Barnes & Noble complies with the
law and, except where prohibited by law, does not prohibit its customers
from carrying handguns or other firearms in a Barnes & Noble store in
accordance with the laws of the state in which a store is located.