• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A night on the town

ScottyT

imported post

The opening night of my wife's play was tuesday night, so I went with a couple of friends of ours to see her in "Picasso at the Lapin Agile" at the Rose Wagner. The play was written by Steve Martin and is absolutely hilarious, but that is a bit off topic...

I was supposed to meet my wife in front of the theater at 6:30 to get my ticket from her, but I needed to get out of work, so I found myself downtown at about 5:50. I decided to stretch my legs, so I turned on my voice recorder (shirt pocket) and walked around the Salt Palace and Gallivan Center areas. Nary a peep from the peasants, as they say...

I arrived at the theater a bit early and busied myself walking around looking at various posters and artwork. None of the staff ever mentioned my firearm, nor did the Sherrif's Deputy working security, who got an eyeful on more than one occaision.

The play was fantastic and afterwards the four of us went across the street to Squatter's, which was actually the first time I had ever visited the place. The waitress saw it and never missed a beat, one guy at the next table kept eyeing me, but he looked more curious than concerned. The service was superb and the Burger was one of the best I have ever had (this coming from a burger connoisseur!).

Another uneventful day in Open Carry land!

If you are looking for some quality entertainment this weekend, "Picasso at the Lapin Agile" plays tonight, friday and saturday at 7:30 pm in the Black Box theater at the Rose Wagner Center for the Arts (300 south 125 west). Disclaimer: The play uses the "F" word once and has quite a bit of innuendo, if that matters to you.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I have figured out why you keep having these "non-events". People see that you are carrying an XD, and realize that in the event you pulled your gun, it probably won't work anyways. :p Sorry, I am still upset that I was the only guy in the group on Tuesday with a Glock. ;)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
Ouch, Kev, that's harsh! Even after I went to Barlow's with you...

Yeah, and did you notice that Barlow's does not sell the XD? :p

Don't make me comment in your XD lovers thread, Dave. ;)

ScottyT

imported post

Right2Carry wrote:
How long is the play running? Where can we get tickets?

I LOVE MY XD!! :p
The play is running tonight and tomorrow at 7:30. You can get tickets at ArtTix, but it is cheaper to go to a box office and avoid the internet service fees. Tickets are $12.

tarzan1888

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I have figured out why you keep having these "non-events". People see that you are carrying an XD, and realize that in the event you pulled your gun, it probably won't work anyways. :p Sorry, I am still upset that I was the only guy in the group on Tuesday with a Glock. ;)

Kevin......Bite your Tongue.

For the record. I don not own an XD. I would love to own an XD .45, but I do not.

I have a son-in-law, who has one and it is great, but I don't own one. :(

Tarzan

PS I also have a son-in-law who own a Block....I mean Glock and I have shot that too.

I will never own a Glock.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Hey, don't get me wrong. I too would love to own a ported XD 40. I even looked at an XDm yesterday... very nice! Just one problem, everyone wants money for their XD's. Where are all of the free ones?

tarzan1888

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Hey, don't get me wrong. I too would love to own a ported XD 40. I even looked at an XDm yesterday... very nice! Just one problem, everyone wants money for their XD's. Where are all of the free ones?

Sounds like you have the same problem i do Kevin....

Tarzan

Francis Marion

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:

PS I also have a son-in-law who own a Block....I mean Glock and I have shot that too.

An adequate discription of the pistol. It does feel like a block in my hands which is why I will never buy one.

tarzan1888

imported post

Francis Marion wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:

An adequate discription of the pistol. It does feel like a block in my hands which is why I will never buy one.

The blocky feel is only pat of it. The grip-frame angle on the Glock is different than on most American made pistols.

There were two prominent gun designers in the early 1900's, browning and Luger.

The Browning designed pistols have a more ergonomic angle, which, for me makes those pistols point to shoot, very well.

The Luger, on the other hand, has an angle that makes the pistol point way high, when I bring it up to shoot.

I know you can train yourself to adjust and hit the target, but when it comes to instinct shooting, I prefer being on target without having to think about it.

The Glock angle is based on the Luger design.

Tarzan