• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Town Council passes firearms ordinance

supernaut06

imported post

First off let me say I'm new to the forum and hello. Now then I just wanted to inform/rant a little bit about what Cicero did recently.

http://www.county29.net/cms2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14910&Itemid=230

Cicero Town Council members pass firearms ordinance

Written by Darla Kinney Scoles, on 06-05-2008 08:59

Members of the Cicero Town Council unanimously passed an ordinance Tuesday prohibiting the discharge of firearms and the use of bows and arrows within town limits. The council tabled the matter May 20.

Concern over no exception for businesses, such as an indoor shooting range, delayed the ordinance’s passage by several weeks.

Council moved ahead Tuesday after brief discussion of a proposed indoor range at Wyatt’s Sporting Goods, a facility that later brought concern from one resident who felt the safety issue involving weapons being carried into the town for range use outweighed the need for a business exception.

Indoor ranges, council members noted, would still be subject to state and federal regulations with regard to safety and operation.

The firearms ordinance, which will become effective 30 days after public print notification, makes additional exceptions for peace officers and soldiers in their official duties as well as individuals using firearms in necessary self-defense.

Those found in violation of the new ordinance are subject to a fine up to $2,500.

The five-member council also moved forward on the South Stringtown Pike Pedestrian Walk system, giving Town Engineer Keith Bryant permission to proceed with the design of the first phase of the project, estimated to cost $80,000. Some of those costs could be reduced by having the Town itself do some of the work rather than an outside contractor, noted Bryant, who is hoping a parks grant will cover $40,000 of that amount as well.

Final notification of that grant will take place in August but council gave Bryant, who submitted a study of the two phases for review by the Council, the go-ahead in order for the work to be completed by the end of the year.

“The project overall,” said Bryant, “will include a walk path from the Town Park at Britton Street and Stringtown Pike to 216th Street. The Town installed the path from the park to Voss Hiatt last year. Phase 1 from the study last night will continue to l Lincoln Drive North. Phase 2 will continue from that point to Lincoln Drive South.”

Right-of-way and utility work has already been done on the project and an additional $50,000 was earlier budgeted for the path.

Know More

The next Cicero Town Council meeting is 7 p.m. June 17 at Cicero Town Hall. Cicero Town Council meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at 70 South Byron Street. Visit http://www.ciceroin.org for agendas and additional information.

By Darla Kinney Scoles
Correspondent

To me it seems that they are playing off the fact that Wyatt's wanted to build an indoor shooting range as a coincidence. Well no one in Cicero is presently firing their firearms, we don't have murders, nor has anyone been shot because some yahoo just had to fire a gun. So it leads me that some one on the board really didn't want Wyatt's to build this range, which is bullsh**. Also apparently shooting a bow and arrow is now also off limits inside the town, because we all know what a threat they are.

aikidoka

imported post

Council moved ahead Tuesday after brief discussion of a proposed indoor range at Wyatt’s Sporting Goods, a facility that later brought concern from one resident who felt the safety issue involving weapons being carried into the town for range use outweighed the need for a business exception.

Apparently the council was too stupid to realize that resident's concern is irrelevant as residents of Indiana are allowed to carry when licensed and even have the guns *shudder* loaded! :banghead:

Seems to me Wyatt's might have a case of the law being written expressly to restrict them, which is against the constitution IIRC.

supernaut06

imported post

Yeah, I don't know who the resident they quoted was but I'm betting they might just faint if they knew people actually walked around town carrying. It would be hard to convince me that this law wasn't passed just because of Wyatt's. They've been talking about doing this for at least two years but this year they actually started to make things happen. They started clearing trees on their property in anticipation of being allowed to build and then this happens. There was a council meeting scheduled for the 22nd of May, which I believe was because of a possible zoning issue, but apparently this was passed on the 20th. To me it sounds like they got blindsided.