Thread: Day 46..

Post imported post

Venting..

I just called the Circuit Court as today is day 46 on my CHP. They said it isn't ready because my background check/fingerprints aren't back.

I then called the Police Department and they said they didn't know when my prints would be back. She said I could come in and get fingerprinted on the computer which would only take a couple of days to get back. I'm not too fond of that idea. Don't feel I should have to go back and resubmit my fingerprints.

Anyways, I guess I'll just go and request a temporary permit and hope everything comes back in those 90 days.

Sigh..

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Do what the law provides for you, get your temporary. :celebrate

Post imported post

Been lurking for a few weeks, this is my first post:

According to the VA State Police web site:

If Your Application is Not Complete within 45 Days

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identificationuntil the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified. If the applicant is found to be disqualified after the de facto permit is issued, the applicant shall surrender the de facto permit to the court and the disqualification shall be deemed a denial of the permit and a revocation of the de facto permit. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.

Danny

Post imported post

Welcome, Danny.

Great first post, and glad to see you supporting the OC tradition of citing your sources.

Do you know about the Richmond OC Dinners? Next one is 6/17. See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/11546.htmlfor details.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Welcome Danny!

Glad to see that you made it here!

Jim
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I do get around, I'm just kinda quiet about it.

I just may see you guys on the 17th.

Danny

Post imported post

I'm going to try to make it on the 17th as well.

Danny, if you come, bring yourfather and daughter. I'm sure the others in the group will get a big kick out of seeing the 3 generations carrying.

Jim
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

phixion wrote:
    Venting..

I just called the Circuit Court as today is day 46 on my CHP. They said it isn't ready because my background check/fingerprints aren't back.

I then called the Police Department and they said they didn't know when my prints would be back. She said I could come in and get fingerprinted on the computer which would only take a couple of days to get back. I'm not too fond of that idea. Don't feel I should have to go back and resubmit my fingerprints.

Anyways, I guess I'll just go and request a temporary permit and hope everything comes back in those 90 days.

Sigh..
    What county? I had the same issue not too long ago in Arlington. As soon as I pressed the issue and got my temporary, they called the next day and my actual permit was ready...from that thread if I recall, that was a pattern that other people had seen as well.

Post imported post

Alexandria took about 48 days to get me my permit. I'd say give them until about day 50. If you haven't seen the $50 check clear your bank, then I would call. Once the check clears thats how you know your permit is on the way.

Post imported post

Just got my renewal permit last week after 57 days/Fairfax County Circuit Courts.

I spoke with Carol Snow in the Clerk's office who found there had been a MESS of clerical errors. Appearently the woman who is (more or less) competant with filing permits and getting the magistrates to sign them went on her honeymoon 2 weeks ago; and the temp they got to fill in was a "work-release" nightmare. there was also some judicial conference or seminar that also delayed eveyrthing. Bottomline if you filed between End of April to Middle of May. . .expect delays.

ETA: While this makes me less than happy and while I acknowledge that incompetance is no excuse to violate the law. . .Carol was a vital asset in getting everything resolved and expiditing getting my permit to me once she identified where the errors were. Carol was a Godsent; contact her if you have any problems getting yours.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

That is why they get away with extra days getting the permits back because too many people give them extra time by not forcing the issue. If some cities/counties can get the permits back in less than a week or twothen there is NO, I repeat! NO!, reason the rest cannot do it too. So push back when getting pushed around and demand then do what the law says they have to do. If everyone pushed back, they would get swamped with extra work and have top waste there time having to issue temporary permits. This would make them go ahead and do what they are supposed to do in the first place.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

Jim,

Since Dad lives about 75 miles away, it is kind of rare to get him in Richmond. Unless she is working, I expect that Kristin will come with me.

BTW, Dad bought a Glock 23 earlier this week and I went down to see him today and also bought one. Now I'm searching for a CC holster for it that will work with my mode of dress.

Since he lives out in the middle of nowhere, we both fired a few rounds to get a feel for the new hardware. It feels a little odd after the Colt 1911, but I think I'll get used to it.

Danny

Post imported post

dbc3804 wrote:
    Jim,

Since Dad lives about 75 miles away, it is kind of rare to get him in Richmond. Unless she is working, I expect that Kristin will come with me.

BTW, Dad bought a Glock 23 earlier this week and I went down to see him today and also bought one. Now I'm searching for a CC holster for it that will work with my mode of dress.

Since he lives out in the middle of nowhere, we both fired a few rounds to get a feel for the new hardware. It feels a little odd after the Colt 1911, but I think I'll get used to it.

Danny

Danny,

Congrats to you and your dad on the new purchase! I'm sure you will love the Glock 23. As I stated in class, I've carried alot of guns in alot of different holsters and I have found the 23 to feel like an extension of my hand.

I hope you find it as enjoyable as I do. Check that holster website that I mentioned in class and see if they have something that you like. Its www.RMholsters.com.

Jim

James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

Today is day 58 on waiting for my CHP. I did go in today and receive my de facto permit but I feel there is no reason it should take this long, screw up with my fingerprints/background check or not. I didn't recieve notice that the 45 days had expired nor did I receive a certified application; I had to go to the courthouse and get it myself. Perhaps because I called and talked to the clerk, they didn't feel it was necessary to send me a copy. I don't know.

What should I do? Contact someone or just wait it out?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advace

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

phixion wrote:
    Today is day 58 on waiting for my CHP. I did go in today and receive my de facto permit but I feel there is no reason it should take this long, screw up with my fingerprints/background check or not. I didn't recieve notice that the 45 days had expired nor did I receive a certified application; I had to go to the courthouse and get it myself. Perhaps because I called and talked to the clerk, they didn't feel it was necessary to send me a copy. I don't know.

What should I do? Contact someone or just wait it out?
    ???????

You've got the permit;the law makes them give you the application as the permit. This mechanism was put in place in anticipation of localities screwing aroundby delaying.

Read one of the early posts. The poster quoted 18.2-308, saying your application-serving-as-permit is good for 90 days.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

What citizen said.

It will be tough fo folks to give you any advice on dealing with your loaclity if we don't know where you are.

If you'd rather not say, that's OK, too, but it will limit any useable advice.