• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So leaving the NRA Range today...

hsmith

imported post

I have a pelican case for my ar, I put my VCDL sticker on it because I don't put bumper stickers on my car, and the lady at the front desk says " I think I've heard of them before "

doh

So I said to look into them because they so good work - but it is amazing people don't know the group that ensures their rights are safe

rob99vmi04

imported post

Just had a curiosity what has VCDL done. I'm not being sarcastic/mean/ funny, I'mlooking at joing but I want tomake sure theyits not just agroup thatgets noticed but does little, but what have they gotten passed, that has their name on it.

hsmith

imported post

VCDL does a LOT for us in VA. I am on my phone so I can't link, checkout vcdl.org

They have lobby days during legislative sessions, they testify at hearings, they make sure localities aren't preempting state law, and so on.

By far the best organization in VA to join

rob99vmi04

imported post

I'm just looking for actual stuff that they have passed that has got there name on it.

I'm not harping on anybody here, and I'm actually probably going to join, but I'm just curios is there an actual record of stuff they have gottoen passed.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Thndr wrote:
http://www.vcdl.org/static/accom.html

Have a read then look over the sight I think you will get your questions answered.
many won't click the link to go see.. so here:

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Instrumental in Getting Virginia's Concealed Carry Law Changed From "May Issue" to "Shall Issue" in 1995, Swelling The Number of Permit Holders From a Few Thousand in 1994 to Over 110,000 as of Mid 2002

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Worked with Henrico Board of Supervisors to get ban on permit holders in Henrico parks removed

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Played a key roll in getting preemption laws strengthened so that permit holders are *totally* protected from grand fathered ordinance while carrying or possessing a firearm.

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Distributed Pro-Self-Defense Literature at The Stand For Children Rally in Washington, DC

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Engineered a Change in Fairfax County's "Hunting Laws" to Exempt Persons Lawfully Carrying Firearms For Personal Safety From County Hunting Restrictions

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Derailed "Operation Scarlet Letter" in Bath County

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Stopped a Proposed City Gun Ban in Harrisonburg

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]The ONLY Organization to Get Pro Gun Bills Introduced in Each of The Last 6 Legislative Sessions

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]VCDL Originated Technical & Procedural Improvements Were Made in 1999 to The Concealed Carry Law

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Pressured Lowe's Stores to Allow Concealed Carry on Premises

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Worked With Legislators to Get Three Pro-Gun Bills Introduced in The 1998 Legislative Session. One, The Bill to Repeal The Ban on Carrying Concealed in Restaurants, Passed The VA Senate, Before Dying in an Anti-Gun House Committee

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Defeated Fairfax County's Illegal County Facility Gun Ban Regulation in Court

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Stopped Mandatory FBI Fingerprint Registration of CHP Applicants in Fairfax And Prince William Counties

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Forced Fairfax County to comply with the Virginia CHP law by eliminating:

...* Personal history form
...* Police interrogation of applicant
...* Excessive fees

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Forced Fairfax County Police to Revamp Their "Firearms Safety Presentation"

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Compelled The Prince William County Police to Revise Its' Gun Safety Brochure

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Forced Roanoke and Salem Civic Centers to remove wording from signs banning guns

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Instrumental in Getting The Governor to Allow For Concealed Carry in State Parks

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Got a Strengthened Preemption Bill Signed Into Law in 2002 Session, Forcing Arlington to Drop its Gun Ban in City Buildings

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Had City of Richmond Remove Illegal Signs Banning Guns From City Hall Building

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Stopped an Illegal Gun Ban in Henrico County Buildings

[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [*]Got Cities of Richmond, Hampton, And Williamsburg And Counties of Isle of Wight And Franklin to Remove Illegal Signs Banning Guns in Parks And Libraries
[/font]

hsmith

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
I'm just looking for actual stuff that they have passed that has got there name on it.

I'm not harping on anybody here, and I'm actually probably going to join, but I'm just curios is there an actual record of stuff they have gottoen passed.
Well since the VCDL doesn't get to vote on anything or write bills, they really can't "pass" bills

All that matters it he lobbying to ensure bills they assist with get through.

IanB

imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
You wont find any bills with VCDL's name on them. EVERYTHING that pertains to firearms rights in VA is the doing of VCDL. Name one thing the NRA has done in VA.

The NRA is asleep at the switch happily collecting money through scary home mailings to support the extravagant salaries (Looking at you, WAYNE) of their senior leadership.

Severely bloated and waaaay past it's prime, that NRA group is.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:

Disclaimer: I'm a member of VCDL but am not a spokesperson for them. All comments are therefore unofficial and not binding on VCDL.

VCDL does not seek glory by having legislation "named" after it, such as the"VCDL Shall-Issue Concealed Handgun Permit Act," or the "VCDL Statewide Firearms Law Pre-Emption Bill," or the "VCDL Made Us Repeal Our Crappy [insert name of various Counties/Cities] Regulation Prohibiting Firearms inthe County/City Administration BuildingBill," or the "VCDL Says We Have to Make Our Police Obey the Law Again Regarding Carrying Firearms at Harborfest Bill" (never saw the light of day because Hampton City Council refused to consider it, so now they are looking at a court imposing "Chet's Law").

Instead, VCDL promotes the preservation of citizens' rights as they relate to firearms, and provides education to all levels of government as well as the general population regarding those rights and the law. Additionally, VCDL seeks out Delegates and Senators who are in agreement with the precepts of VCDL to introduce legislation to further protect the rights of firearm owners, andto decrease the limitations imposed on firearms owners by current law - such as the continuingstruggle to repeal the "restaurant ban" regarding concealed carry.

VCDL has been behind just about everything that has happened regarding firearms since the organization was incorporated. VCDL does that by standing in the front lines, appearing before local and state government bodies, and trying to get equal press coverage whenever the antis appear with their useless but feel-good ideas.

If you own a firearm in Virginia you owe it to yourself to be a member of VCDL. You do not have to agree with everything they do or do not do. VCDL knows where & why I disagree with them because that's part of being an active member.

stay safe.

skidmark

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Double +1, to you all! Join the ranks rob99vmi04. This is an organization that is respected throughout the General Assembly and Commonwealth.Any numberof our carry and ownershiplaws have been a result of the VCDL interaction with our Reps ans Senators. Other states with similar groups have crafted their organizationfrom theVCDL.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Don't forget being on the forefront of getting the National Parks Handgun Ban fixed, they filed a brief with the DOI years ago that got the ball rolling, resulting in the Federal legislative action you see today.

We also attend numerous Town Council meetings when someone's rights are violated (Norfolk and Prince William County come to mind).

Marco

imported post

Just so everyone knows.

rob99vmi04 is an instructor over at theNRA andanother local range, rob isn't his name and I will not disclose it.
He is well aware of the VCDL and what it has done, if he doesn't he lives under a rock.

However, I know him to be a good guy so I'm not sure as to his motives.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Another difference is that VCDL is totally volunteer. Nobody gets a dime in salary. If I had to chose between which organization to send a dues check to, it's no contest.

IanB

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Just so everyone knows.

rob99vmi04 is an instructor over at theNRA andanother local range, rob isn't his name and I will not disclose it.
He is well aware of the VCDL and what it has done, if he doesn't he lives under a rock.

However, I know him to be a good guy so I'm not sure as to his motives.
Care to respond to this, Rob?

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rob - I don't care who you are, just wanted to say thanks.

Thanks for reminding me to send in my renewal, and maybe a lil extra for support.

And ed, thanks for filling me in on:

• Stopped Mandatory FBI Fingerprint Registration of CHP Applicants in Fairfax And Prince William Counties
I remember heading to PW Records where the cabbies get fingerprinted to get my record countersigned to take to the clerk. When Lisa wanted hers I brought her there first and was turned away directly to the clerks office. I had wondered how/when/why that changed.

;)

casullshooter

imported post

A recent quote from Delegate Black of the VA House of Delegates."VCDL is the most effective grass roots organization of ANY type in VA". This is an exact quote as I was there when he said it.(Saslaw Dinner/Reston):exclaim:

If you want to be in the loop join VCDL it will be the best $25 that you will ever spend.

Tomahawk

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
They have accomplished a ton.

Yup. Back when I moved to Virginia and I was looking to get more involved in securing my right to bear arms, I did a little research. At a gun show at Hugo's (remember those? :cry:) I picked up a newsletter by an organization called Virginia Shooting Sports Association. One page had an article in which all they did was trash VCDL for beig "too radical" and trying too hard to get pro-carry laws fixed or passed. They actually bragged about how VCDL had failed at some of these efforts, believing that all this right-to-carry stuff would hurt their "right to shoot ducks". They are also an NRA affiliate, by the way.

I immediately joined VCDL, and I have never regretted it. VCDL is dedicated, founded on a firm basis of lawful, non-hysterical activism, and most important to the bottom line, effective.

That said, I am still a life member of NRA, though I send them no money and don't count on them for real support. NRA could be so much more, perhaps if they allowed real grassroots affiliates to organize around VCDL's model. According to VCDL's leadership NRA was pretty good about allying themselves with VCDL in Richmond this past session, so things may be looking up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

My unofficial update of VCDL's accomplishments which is only current through March of 2007.

VCDL Accomplishments
(National, State & Local)

National:

Proclaimed 2004 Grass Roots Organization of the Year
by the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Working to promote national reciprocity for concealed handgun permits (CHP’s)

Networking with other states’ gun organizations to help them learn from our successes and become more effective in their own states.

State:

VCDL’s proactive, energetic, and unrelenting push for pro-gun legislation, rather than just waiting to defend against attacks on our rights, has helped change the atmosphere in the General Assembly to where pro-gun legislation is now the norm.

The only organization to get pro gun bills introduced in every legislative session since 1997.

2006-07 Highlights- Worked to bring about the elimination of fingerprinting for CHP renewals.

Promoted lifetime concealed handgun permits that begin when money is appropriated.

Instrumental in preventing the Commonwealth from disarming you during an emergency or disaster.

Killed several bills that would have negatively impacted your right to carry.

Set up gun dealer’s legal defense fund to help dealers targeted by N.Y. Mayor Bloomberg.

Partial List of Previous State Results:

Instrumental in getting Virginia concealed carry law changed from “may issue” to “shall issue” in 1995, swelling the number of permit holders from a few thousand in 1994 to over 137,000 in 2006.

Got a strengthened statewide preemption bill signed into law.

Active in getting law passed allowing concealed carry in vehicle on K-12 school property.

Instrumental in getting statewide firearms preemption law, eliminating local gun control ordinances.

Originated technical and procedural improvements in 1999 to the concealed carry laws.

Played a key roll in getting preemption laws strengthened so that permit holders are totally protected from grand fathered ordinances while carrying or possessing firearms.

Helped protect shooting ranges from confiscation under Eminent Domain.

Instrumental in getting our governor to allow concealed carry in state parks.

Successfully backed legislation extending CHP expiration dates of military members to 90 days past end of deployment.

Compelled the Virginia State Police to update their forms for background check to comply with law - no social security number required.

Pressured Lowes Stores to allow concealed carry on premises.

Local: Cities & Counties

Compelled Cities of Richmond, Hampton, Newport News & Williamsburg and Counties of Franklin, Henrico & Isle of Wright & to remove illegal signs banning guns in parks and libraries.

Compelled various localities to comply with Virginia law by dropping unauthorized gun bans (Roanoke, Hampton, Fairfax City, Norfolk, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Lynchburg and others).

Arlington - forced city to drop its gun ban in city buildings.

Bath County - derailed “Operation Scarlet Letter”.

Dinnwiddie County - forced county to stop requiring references/photo to get CHP.

Christianburg - stopped from requiring SSN on CHP application.

Fairfax County - defeated County’s illegal County Facility Gun Ban in court.
- forced county police to revamp their “Firearms Safety Presentation”.
- influenced county to mail out CHP rather than requiring them to be picked up.
- engineered change in “Hunting Laws” to allow lawful carry for personal safety.
- caused removal of ‘no guns’ sign from fire station.
- forced county to comply with Va. CHP law by eliminating 1- personal history, 2- police interrogation of applicant, 3- excessive fees.

Franklin County - got illegal signs banning guns in parks & libraries removed.

Hampton - had illegal signs banning guns in parks & libraries removed.

Harrisonburg - stopped proposed gun ban.

Henrico County - stopped illegal gun ban in county buildings.
- worked with Board of Supervisors to remove ban on permit holders in parks.
- stopped county from unlawfully fingerprinting those renewing CHP.

Isle of Wright County - had illegal signs banning guns in parks & libraries removed.

Louisa County - instrumental in convincing Board of Supervisors to not change discharge ordinance.

Prince William County - compelled police to revise its Gun Safety brochure.

Richmond - had city remove illegal signs banning guns from City Hall.
- got illegal signs banning guns in parks & libraries removed.

Roanoke - forced Civic Center to remove wording from signs banning guns.

Rockingham County - stopped county from unlawfully fingerprinting those renewing CHP.

Salem - caused removal of wording from signs banning guns.

Spotsylvania - pressured into removing illegal park signs banning guns,

Williamsburg - removal of illegal signs banning guns in parks & libraries.

Local: (Outdoor Recreation)

Accotink Park - caused Northern Virginia Park Authority to remove ’no guns’ sign in park.

Creeper Trail - forced Abingdon & Damascus to allow the carry of firearms on the trail.

Mott’s Run Reservoir - caused revision in Hiking & Trail Guide and Fishing & Boating Guide to remove no guns provision.

New River Trail Park - caused revision in Park Guide to remove firearms prohibition.

VCDL is an all volunteer organization. No member is paid one red cent from your annual membership.

Yata hey

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Also
Having localities remove countless invalid 'no guns' signs.

Mobilized members to fight gun owner harassment in Staunton, Manassas, Norfolk and elsewhere.

Helping revive open carry by publicizing OC in restaurants loophole.

Fighting Mayor Bloomberg and his harassment of gun dealers through various protests and legislation.