• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So leaving the NRA Range today...

Glock27Bill

imported post

I don't want to start an "Us vs Them" turn to this, but when I joined the Izaac Walton League, one of the board members stated that NRA's state organization:

Virginia Shooting Sports Association

The Official State Association of the NRA

Protecting Virginia Gun Rights Since 1938

was the only group looking out for our state rights.

He claimed that the VSSA was the only organization defending our rights year round, and that the VCDL was only in play during legislative sessions, then disappeared during the rest of the year. I didn't argue, since my membership was pending.

If you go to the VSSA website, the vast majority of their data is how to sign up new members. If you look for legislative successes, you will be disappointed.

I've seen lots of infighting among organizations during the past year or so, and there's no need for it. Each organization serves its purpose, there's no need to try to cannibalize members. And there's no excuse for misrepresenting each other, either.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I don't want to start an "Us vs Them" turn to this, but when I joined the Izaac Walton League, one of the board members stated that NRA's state organization:

Virginia Shooting Sports Association

The Official State Association of the NRA

Protecting Virginia Gun Rights Since 1938

was the only group looking out for our state rights.

He claimed that the VSSA was the only organization defending our rights year round, and that the VCDL was only in play during legislative sessions, then disappeared during the rest of the year. I didn't argue, since my membership was pending.

If you go to the VSSA website, the vast majority of their data is how to sign up new members. If you look for legislative successes, you will be disappointed.

I've seen lots of infighting among organizations during the past year or so, and there's no need for it. Each organization serves its purpose, there's no need to try to cannibalize members. And there's no excuse for misrepresenting each other, either.
I joined VSSA also. After two years, I dropped my membership.

I heard from them at renewal time, with their newsletter (which I found singularly uninformative) and at banquet time. Neither of the banquets they advertised ended up having the advertised speaker. I never saw an accomplishment.

But then, NRA claims to have been working the National Parks issue for years, and we mere paeons never saw that either. Perhaps VSSA emulates them.

I encourage anyone who wants to join any pro-rights organization to do so. For my money, though, VCDL wins hands down.

unrequited

imported post

VCDL also throws great cake parties.

Seriously though, I've learned more about activism and 2A stuff through VCDL either by their VA-ALERT (sign up for their newsletter) or by attending their meetings than I've ever learned on my own or through the NRA (2-year member, and already jaded).

Also, a lot of the local activism such as going to PTA meetings or crashing (er... attending) Million Mom March info sessions are planned in the social circles around VCDL (such as the Starbucks meetup before each meeting or the Fuddruckers one right after). It's a great group of people, and most here on OCDO are already members.

The info about robblahblah is unsettling Agent19... I'm wondering why an NRA instructor's gotta play dumb too.

Glock27Bill

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Also, a lot of the local activism such as going to PTA meetings or crashing (er... attending) Million Mom March info sessions are planned in the social circles around VCDL (such as the Starbucks meetup before each meeting or the Fuddruckers one right after). It's a great group of people, and most here on OCDO are already members.

The info about robblahblah is unsettling Agent19... I'm wondering why an NRA instructor's gotta play dumb too.

Bingo.

For me, activism and direct participation is what it's all about.

I won't prejudge the NRA guy's motives, but it sure would be nice to hear it in his own words.

I don't bash any gun rights group, I hope his intent is innocent.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
.... NRA could be so much more, perhaps if they allowed real grassroots affiliates to organize around VCDL's model....
At the VCDL table during one of the Tidewater gun shows last season, an older gentleman told me:

"The NRA is a business, businesses make money, the NRA needs conflict to stay in business"

I've never thought about it that way....but the way the NRA capitulates on some issues makes the above statement more believable.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Actually, the one that I thnk is the worst is GOA.

Under their heading of "Veterans Disarmament Act" they stated "Stabbed in the Back."

The implication as to who did the stabbing was kinda obvious.

So I sent Larry Pratt a letter voicing my displeasure at the apparent infighting.

Although I belong to many organizations (Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms—life member; GOA; Jews for the Protection of Firearm Ownership; NRA—life member; US Conceal Carry Assn; Virginia Citizens Defense League), I told Larry that if I decided to preen my memberships the first ones to go would be those that sought to elevate themselves by publically downgrading others.

I believe that each of these organizations has a role--the NRA has the political clout to open doors, and GOA can then drive their truck through it...it's all good.

Of course the VCDL is closest to my heart, as it is through them that I can actually DO something besides sending letters & emails, although I support all the others as I am best able.

While I've have anjoyed the Hillary/Barrack slug-fest,that crap ain't gonna happen in my community without those involved being called out.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Actually, the one that I thnk is the worst is GOA.

Under their heading of "Veterans Disarmament Act" they stated "Stabbed in the Back."

The implication as to who did the stabbing was kinda obvious.

So I sent Larry Pratt a letter voicing my displeasure at the apparent infighting.
<snip>
Good job, G27B. I have been considering joining GOA, but for a few months earlier this year, it seemed all they wanted to do was bash NRA. I have to admit it's made me think twice, though I'll probably still join eventually.

Neplusultra

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
According to VCDL's leadership NRA was pretty good about allying themselves with VCDL in Richmond this past session, so things may be looking up.
Yes, I would agree. The NRA has changed towards more substantial argument more to the point of the 2A. Remember how they were all about "hunting" rights and now are much more into defensive use. They may eventually get to the point of actually defending the 2A for the same reason it was written.

Bulldog1967

imported post

VCDL is, BAR NONE, one of the best grass roots gun rights organizations in the COUNTRY.

In fact, several other states have modeled their grass roots gun rights groups after VCDL.

My goal as a VCDL member this year is to recruit one new member a month at least.

Glock27Bill

imported post

unrequited wrote:
ed wrote:
unrequited wrote:
I'm wondering why an NRA instructor's gotta play dumb too.

We do? I don't think I do? I dont; think VCDL Executive Member Dave Vann does? I don't think Glock27Bill does. <shrug>
I meant specifically the NRA Range instructor who was mentioned earlier in this thread.
That's who I took you to mean, bud.