Thread: Watch Monday's Editorial section of the Journal Sentinel...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've been lurking here for a while now, finally got around to registering. I sent a letter to the MJS in response to the article about the Concealed Carry issuance yesterday which slided into a discussion about Open Carry, and they just called me, saying it'll be in Monday's editorial section.

Here's the letter:

I do not understand why 48 other states trust their citizens with concealed weapons, but Wisconsin does not, only allowing former law enforcement to receive carry permits. It’s unfortunate that Wisconsin lawmakers stand fast with their convictions about Concealed Carry, but a lot of Wisconsin citizens would be satisfied with an alternative, Open Carry, the process of carrying a firearm on your person unconcealed, open for all to view, such as in a holster. This alternative is actually legal under Wisconsin law, and Governor Doyle himself even endorsed Open Carry as a legal alternative to Concealed Carry when under fire for his stances on the latter back in 2006. Unfortunately, many law enforcement agencies around the state are not aware of the legality of Open Carry, and have arrested and convicted many individuals who have Open Carried citing Disorderly Conduct. Just a few weeks ago a man was arrested in West Milwaukee for lawful Open Carry, and awaits his charges, while his firearm is impounded indefinitely as evidence. It’s time that the legality of Open Carry in this state is officially recognized, and Wisconsin citizens that have nothing to hide be allowed to openly carry firearms for their protection.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have also been informed by the MJS that my letter to the editor will be published. I have posted it elsewhere on the forum. It looks like our open carry efforts are finally getting attention.

Post imported post

Guys, this is great.

More people are starting to hear about this. I am slightly surprised that the JS will print two pro OC letters.... but I've been surprised before.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Our editorials are available online:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=759430

While I'm glad they printed it, they cut the "their" out of the end of my letter, which I think makes the sentence sound worse. The letter was 199 words with it included, guess they wanted 198...

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Good letters. Thanks.

Ahh, 'editorials' are product of the editorial board or 'guest editorials,' y'all wrote fine 'letters to the editor'. I recommend 'The Writer's Art' by James J. Kilpatrick, the book or the column by the same name. He's the last real editor and retired in Charleston, SC - where they carefully avoid his lessons and presence.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar

Post imported post

Mr. Greg wrote:
    Our editorials are available online:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=759430

While I'm glad they printed it, they cut the "their" out of the end of my letter, which I think makes the sentence sound worse. The letter was 199 words with it included, guess they wanted 198...
    Read them both. Good valid points in each.

Now I'd really be interested in you guys keeping us up to date on what if any reply is published arguing AGAINST your letters, asreading letters from those openly opposing our constitutional rights will help show us where we need to further educate.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
    Read them both. Good valid points in each.

Now I'd really be interested in you guys keeping us up to date on what if any reply is published arguing AGAINST your letters, asreading letters from those openly opposing our constitutional rights will help show us where we need to further educate.
    Oh, definitely. I can't wait for the responses.

Post imported post

Unfortunately, that's the only reason they publish our letters. They will now publish letters by people with names like "Gharitty McNett" that facially address your points without refuting them, and then claim victory for their side...

Post imported post

I read them today online. Nice job. Point taken about the responses......those kinds of idiots don't present logic or truth, interesting to see what will be written.

Post imported post

Incidentally, I also agree that both letters were well written and I think they bothrepresent right-to-carry advocacy in a positive way. Good jobs, guys!

Post imported post

Has anybody read responses to these letters?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

smithman wrote:
    Has anybody read responses to these letters?
    As far as I know, the JS hasn't printed any response letters to it. Do you know something I don't? :P

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I have not received any responses to date. Regardless the responses. Our victory is that the MJS published the letters at all. The MJS is known to be anti-gun.

Post imported post

The JS probably did this for a few reasons, since they want to appear neutral on the issue, they want to have most views at least presented....but they REALLY want anti-gun responses as a result.

Post imported post

The baiting isn't working for them; there were two more pro-gun letters today.

edit: spelling

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I couldn't find the letters, could you post a link to them

Post imported post

Crap, sorry - they're onyl up for one day and I didn't screen capture them. THey both referred to the "study" on local background checks supposedly being better than state or national checks. They were basically just saying "hey, don't blame those of us who buy guns legally for the thugs committing crimes," IIRC.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Rick Finsta wrote:
    Crap, sorry - they're onyl up for one day and I didn't screen capture them. THey both referred to the "study" on local background checks supposedly being better than state or national checks. They were basically just saying "hey, don't blame those of us who buy guns legally for the thugs committing crimes," IIRC.
    I had no problem finding them, Rick. :P

On the JS website, hit Editorials on the left-hand menu, then all of the letters show up in around the middle of the page.

Here's Friday's letters:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=761933

Post imported post

Mr. Greg wrote:
    I do not understand why 48 other states trust their citizens with concealed weapons, but Wisconsin does not, only allowing former law enforcement to receive carry permits.

The anti-gun governer and other lawmakers who think they know whats best for us actually believe that it will become the wild west in shoot outs with each other. They believe everyone will be settling simple arguements with gunfire.

HR 218, which allows retired P.O.'s to CCW, is not recognized by Gov Dolye.