Thread: Kentwood law vs State Law

Post imported post

Hi all
    I am a first time poster and fairly new member of this excellent forum. I have become very interested in OCing in Kentwood and Grand Rapids area. To that end i contacted the office of senator Bill Hardiman and spoke with Joe T. Joe was very helpful and found out information that would on the surface make OCing in Kentwood illegal. For example this ordinance
    Sec. 38-196. Public possession.
    "No person shall, without authority by law, possess or brandish any firearm, air rifle, air pistol, paintball gun or other dangerous weapon in any public street, park or place open to, or within the view of, the general public."
    I know there are state laws that counteract this ordinance, however it seems to me that if arrested for this it would still cost money for a lawyer plus my time to fight this if i were arrested. any thoughts you might have would be great.
    Thank you

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Darth_Tux wrote:
    Hi all
    I am a first time poster and fairly new member of this excellent forum. I have become very interested in OCing in Kentwood and Grand Rapids area. To that end i contacted the office of senator Bill Hardiman and spoke with Joe T. Joe was very helpful and found out information that would on the surface make OCing in Kentwood illegal. For example this ordinance
    Sec. 38-196. Public possession.
    "No person shall, without authority by law, possess or brandish any firearm, air rifle, air pistol, paintball gun or other dangerous weapon in any public street, park or place open to, or within the view of, the general public."
    I know there are state laws that counteract this ordinance, however it seems to me that if arrested for this it would still cost money for a lawyer plus my time to fight this if i were arrested. any thoughts you might have would be great.
    Thank you
    They will not arrest you for this as you are doing nothing illegal. We have a few lawyers that will take the case at a reduced rate in the event you do need a lawyer. The arrest might take place, but we know of no cases that have been prosecuted for open carry let alone a conviction. The prosecutor would not prosecute, what would he charge you with? The lawful carry of a firearm, oh wait that won't work.

Sounds like Joe T. is an idiot.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I plan on getting in touch with the local prosecutors office as well. Who are the lawyers who would represent me and at what discount? i really would like to OC as well as CC.

Post imported post

Darth_Tux wrote:
    I plan on getting in touch with the local prosecutors office as well. Who are the lawyers who would represent me and at what discount? i really would like to OC as well as CC.
    This is a City Ordinance so you would have to contact the City Attorney.They would be the one to prosecute, not Kent Co. pros office..

If you read " without authority by law"...State law allows this so there is your "authority"...

Give the City Att. a call and see what they have to say ???

Post imported post

May i suggest that you come to the outing/meeting in Flintat the car show and outing that many of us will be attending and many if not all of your questions will be answered i am from Battle creek and many of us are from lansing, Grand rapids, Flint, all over. We always have a good time