• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentwood law vs State Law

Darth_Tux

imported post

Hi all
I am a first time poster and fairly new member of this excellent forum. I have become very interested in OCing in Kentwood and Grand Rapids area. To that end i contacted the office of senator Bill Hardiman and spoke with Joe T. Joe was very helpful and found out information that would on the surface make OCing in Kentwood illegal. For example this ordinance
Sec. 38-196. Public possession.
"No person shall, without authority by law, possess or brandish any firearm, air rifle, air pistol, paintball gun or other dangerous weapon in any public street, park or place open to, or within the view of, the general public."
I know there are state laws that counteract this ordinance, however it seems to me that if arrested for this it would still cost money for a lawyer plus my time to fight this if i were arrested. any thoughts you might have would be great.
Thank you

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Darth_Tux wrote:
Hi all
I am a first time poster and fairly new member of this excellent forum. I have become very interested in OCing in Kentwood and Grand Rapids area. To that end i contacted the office of senator Bill Hardiman and spoke with Joe T. Joe was very helpful and found out information that would on the surface make OCing in Kentwood illegal. For example this ordinance
Sec. 38-196. Public possession.
"No person shall, without authority by law, possess or brandish any firearm, air rifle, air pistol, paintball gun or other dangerous weapon in any public street, park or place open to, or within the view of, the general public."
I know there are state laws that counteract this ordinance, however it seems to me that if arrested for this it would still cost money for a lawyer plus my time to fight this if i were arrested. any thoughts you might have would be great.
Thank you

They will not arrest you for this as you are doing nothing illegal. We have a few lawyers that will take the case at a reduced rate in the event you do need a lawyer. The arrest might take place, but we know of no cases that have been prosecuted for open carry let alone a conviction. The prosecutor would not prosecute, what would he charge you with? The lawful carry of a firearm, oh wait that won't work.

Sounds like Joe T. is an idiot.

Darth_Tux

imported post

I plan on getting in touch with the local prosecutors office as well. Who are the lawyers who would represent me and at what discount? i really would like to OC as well as CC.

Ruger001

imported post

Darth_Tux wrote:
I plan on getting in touch with the local prosecutors office as well. Who are the lawyers who would represent me and at what discount? i really would like to OC as well as CC.

This is a City Ordinance so you would have to contact the City Attorney.They would be the one to prosecute, not Kent Co. pros office..

If you read " without authority by law"...State law allows this so there is your "authority"...

Give the City Att. a call and see what they have to say ???

mastiff69

imported post

May i suggest that you come to the outing/meeting in Flintat the car show and outing that many of us will be attending and many if not all of your questions will be answered i am from Battle creek and many of us are from lansing, Grand rapids, Flint, all over. We always have a good time:D