• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Always Think Freedom

bayfire66

imported post

Rep. Bill Sali To Government Agency:
"Always Think Freedom"

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://www.gunowners.org

Friday, June 6, 2008

Representative Bill Sali is introducing a bill to send a message to
the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
(BATFE) that freedom still means something in this country.

As part of its Asset Forfeiture training program for agents, the
BATFE ordered 2,000 Leatherman tools inscribed with the words
"Always Think Forfeiture." The program urges agents to focus
on seizing private property.

Rep Sali believes the agency should be thinking 'Freedom,' not
'Forfeiture.' The Idaho Republican complained about the program
and recieved a letter from Acting ATF Director Michael Sullivan,
who apologized for the "confusion" over the issue.

While Rep. Sali appreciated the apology, he said that, "My
constituents deserve to know the truth about this marketing program,
which has been interpreted by many Idahoans as anti-gun and
anti-private property."

The agency halted distribution of the tools in the face of public
outcry, but "[t]he fact remains that the ATF thought it was OK to
think 'Always Think Forfeiture' instead of focusing on
protecting our constitutional rights," Sali said.

In a letter to his fellow Congressmen, Sali noted that "the inscription
raises serious concerns to law-abiding citizens as to the intent of an
ATF agent who is performing investigations, particularly with
respect to law-abiding gun owners."

Rep. Sali plans to introduce the 'Always Think Freedom' bill
sometime next week. The bill will prohibit the agency from
making purchases of tool kits "on which any reminder of
forfeiture appears."

Action: Please urge your Representative to become an original
cosponsor of the "Always Think Freedom Act."

You can visit the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htmto send your Rep. the
pre-written e-mail message below.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just sent this (slightly modified):

Dear Representative:

I urge you to become an original co-sponsor of Rep. Bill Sali's "Always Think Freedom" bill, which will be introduced shortly.

As part of its Asset Forfeiture training program for agents, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ordered 2,000 Leatherman tools inscribed with the words "Always Think Forfeiture." The program urges agents to focus on seizing private property. I do not think this is funny, nor do I think it is professional, nor is it befitting from ANY governmental agency.

What next? Coffee cups with "Guilty until proven Innocent!" around the BATFE offices?

The agency, which has been the frequent subject of congressional inquiry into its heavy-handed law enforcement tactics, should focus on protecting our Constitutional rights.

Rep. Sali's bill will simply prohibit the agency from making purchases of tool kits "on which any reminder of forfeiture appears."

I think this behavior on the part of a US Government agency is outrageous and speaks to their institutional disdain for law abiding American citizens and our Constitution. I do not wish to live in the America that the BATFE envisions. Please ensure this does not happen and support this bill by signing on as an original cosponsor.

Hugs and Kisses,
BobCav

bayfire66

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Just sent this (slightly modified):

Dear Representative:

I urge you to become an original co-sponsor of Rep. Bill Sali's "Always Think Freedom" bill, which will be introduced shortly.

As part of its Asset Forfeiture training program for agents, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ordered 2,000 Leatherman tools inscribed with the words "Always Think Forfeiture." The program urges agents to focus on seizing private property. I do not think this is funny, nor do I think it is professional, nor is it befitting from ANY governmental agency.

What next? Coffee cups with "Guilty until proven Innocent!" around the BATFE offices?

The agency, which has been the frequent subject of congressional inquiry into its heavy-handed law enforcement tactics, should focus on protecting our Constitutional rights.

Rep. Sali's bill will simply prohibit the agency from making purchases of tool kits "on which any reminder of forfeiture appears."

I think this behavior on the part of a US Government agency is outrageous and speaks to their institutional disdain for law abiding American citizens and our Constitution. I do not wish to live in the America that the BATFE envisions. Please ensure this does not happen and support this bill by signing on as an original cosponsor.

Hugs and Kisses,
BobCav
Bravo BOB:)