• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

License Plate theft?

Eagleeye

imported post

This is slightly OT, but well worth keeping an eye out for.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-jun0608-license_plate_gas_thieves.64a2c92.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local thieves stealing license plates to steal gas

[size="-1"]02:21 PM MDT on Friday, June 6, 2008[/size][size="-1"] [/size]

Police see huge spike in gas thefts BOISE - The Boise Police Department is reporting a rise in license plate theft. Department officials say thieves are ripping off license plates – so they can steal gas.

Police are investigating some cases where they say suspects stole license plates, drove to local gas stations, filled up their tanks – then drove off without paying.

"We several cases right now that are pretty significant where they have done a large number of these," Curt Crum with the Boise Police Crime Prevention Unit said.
Crum says gas theft has always been an issue. But he says lately, more people are stealing license plates before they steal gas.

"It's not like we have seen a huge spike but we have a number of cases we are working that do involved stolen license plates," Crum said.
Boise Police have seen enough of a spike that they are taking a proactive step by alerting the public and asking them to be aware.

“How often do people go out and check to see if their license plate is there or check to see that the right plates are on there?” he said. “We have had incidents where they put other plates on there so the driver may not know.”
Those caught stealing can face steep penalties.

“They are looking at the potential for jail time, probation, fines and then of course civil restitution, the business can go after them to recruit their losses,” Crum said. “The bottom line is - it doesn't matter what kind of theft it is, we pay for it, because there is only one way to recoup those losses and that’s just to tack it on to the honest customer.”
Crum says most gas stations now have enhanced surveillance systems and he says that makes it hard for thieves to get away with the crime.

Crum said one thing not helping the theft problem is that there are still some local gas stations that do not require the customer to prepay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might also be an idea to Get a locking fuel cap, I have a feeling siphoning will be starting soon if it already hasn't.

BrianEMT

imported post

In all honesty it would just be easier to siphon the gas than to try and rip off a gas station, unless you are Oregon you actually have to GET OUT of your car to get gas. Well...hello...the cameras they put on top of pumps now have a crystal clear picture of your FACE, much better than changing a plate...:banghead:

Oh and if you do get a locking gas cap, make sure it is a RARE one, especially not a factory one. Anyone with a brainstem and a few brain cells can pose as a bona fide locksmith, pickup a key for $6, and open nearly 95% of locking gascaps on the road.

Eagleeye

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
In all honesty it would just be easier to siphon the gas than to try and rip off a gas station, unless you are Oregon you actually have to GET OUT of your car to get gas. Well...hello...the cameras they put on top of pumps now have a crystal clear picture of your FACE, much better than changing a plate...:banghead:

Oh and if you do get a locking gas cap, make sure it is a RARE one, especially not a factory one. Anyone with a brainstem and a few brain cells can pose as a bona fide locksmith, pickup a key for $6, and open nearly 95% of locking gascaps on the road.
There is also a Down Side to Locking caps.

I've been hearing that in Commiefornia they are just drilling a hole in the tank if there is a locking cap.

know a guy online over there that said he encased his tank in 1/4" steel plate after it happened to him twice.

BrianEMT

imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
BrianEMT wrote:

I've been hearing that in Commiefornia they are just drilling a hole in the tank if there is a locking cap.

know a guy online over there that said he encased his tank in 1/4" steel plate after it happened to him twice.

Riiiiiight...and the only thing that would do is add weight to the car. If they really wanted to drill into your gas tank, that plate better be at least 3/4" thick! Then again if you live in California, chances are you aren't thinking perfectly straight.

imported post

Better solution, no locking cap, just keep your car on empty so there is nothing to steal,. I haven't been able to fill my truck up in the past 4-6 weeks.:cuss:

Eagleeye

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
Eagleeye wrote:
BrianEMT wrote:

Riiiiiight...and the only thing that would do is add weight to the car. If they really wanted to drill into your gas tank, that plate better be at least 3/4" thick! Then again if you live in California, chances are you aren't thinking perfectly straight.
Considering that he drives a 1 ton Diesel Truck loaded up with welding equipment I doubt a little sheet metal would "Weigh it Down" much at all.

Personally I doubt they would be using a drill that could even go through 1/16" steel, most are being reported as using cheapo Harbor Freight cordless drills & most of those have trouble drilling wood never mind metal.

563 wrote:
Better solution, no locking cap, just keep your car on empty so there is nothing to steal,. I haven't been able to fill my truck up in the past 4-6 weeks.:cuss:
Know the feeling well, havn't had a full tank since diesel hit $3.69 a gallon.:banghead:
(it's currently averaging $4.79 a Gallon)