Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Schools Out For Summer!!!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    So, all of school is out except those lucky souls that get to do summer school. But overall school is okay and the campuses around us sit empty. Does this mean that the "Gun-Free Zone" from the US Government still stands or is on "vacation" so us without permits can drive through without having to seal up the gun every five minutes? I'm pretty sure I can't around Utah Valley University but kinda silly if all the grade schools are out and no one using them. HELP!!!
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    800

    Post imported post

    As far as I know, the Gun Free School Zones Act doesn't say 1000 feet from a school that is in session.

    Guess you just need to hurry up and get that CFP so you can avoid all the hassle!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    ScottyT wrote:
    As far as I know, the Gun Free School Zones Act doesn't say 1000 feet from a school that is in session.

    Guess you just need to hurry up and get that CFP so you can avoid all the hassle!
    Tell that to BCI! I'm getting... jittering... everyday the mailbox is like waiting for Christmas.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cottonwood Heights, Utah, USA
    Posts
    545

    Post imported post

    Outsider wrote:
    ScottyT wrote:
    As far as I know, the Gun Free School Zones Act doesn't say 1000 feet from a school that is in session.

    Guess you just need to hurry up and get that CFP so you can avoid all the hassle!
    Tell that to BCI! I'm getting... jittering... everyday the mailbox is like waiting for Christmas.
    Same here... Even though I know it won't come until July (based on the day the cashed my check) I still have hope that things will speed up over there.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    Okay, what is a 1000 feet in like city blocks? I did the math around UVU the other day (put my gun in my house before I did this).

    5280 feet = 1 mile

    528 feet = 1/10 of a mile

    1/10 of a mile x 2 = 1056 feet

    About 2 blocks in Orem = 1056 feet

    So it is basically two blocks from any school? Just trying to do the math here.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    Outsider wrote:
    Okay, what is a 1000 feet in like city blocks? I did the math around UVU the other day (put my gun in my house before I did this).

    5280 feet = 1 mile

    528 feet = 1/10 of a mile

    1/10 of a mile x 2 = 1056 feet

    About 2 blocks in Orem = 1056 feet

    So it is basically two blocks from any school? Just trying to do the math here.
    How many people does this law criminalize? Once off private property (out of your driveway), any gun owner without a CFP (read: a non-OC, non-CC civilian just going to the range or hunting) who lives within 1000 ft of a school is guilty.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    How many people does this law criminalize? Once off private property (out of your driveway), any gun owner without a CFP (read: a non-OC, non-CC civilian just going to the range or hunting) who lives within 1000 ft of a school is guilty.
    Absolutely right.

    Gun owners who know about it can protect themselves by putting their unloaded guns in a locked case (complying with the exception in the GFSZA, §922(q)(2)(B)(iii)), or by putting their unloaded guns in the trunk (complying with the FOPA Safe Passage provision, §926A), but I'll bet this law is broken thousands of times every day by people who have no idea it's an issue.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    To go a step further, how many "true" criminals are arrested under this law? I know it's impossible to know how many criminals this law deters (if any), but do you know whether anyone has actually been charged with a violation of this law, and whether any other charges were also filed?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    To go a step further, how many "true" criminals are arrested under this law? I know it's impossible to know how many criminals this law deters (if any), but do you know whether anyone has actually been charged with a violation of this law, and whether any other charges were also filed?
    I'd be surprised if anyone has been charged. The first version of this law was struck down by SCOTUS as unconstitutional (US v Lopez). Congress re-passed the law with the addition of a little language specifying that the firearm has to have moved in or affected interstate commerce, but the law is still probably unconstitutional, and the feds know it.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,795

    Post imported post

    swillden wrote:
    I'd be surprised if anyone has been charged. The first version of this law was struck down by SCOTUS as unconstitutional (US v Lopez). Congress re-passed the law with the addition of a little language specifying that the firearm has to have moved in or affected interstate commerce, but the law is still probably unconstitutional, and the feds know it.
    However, State versions of the law ARE constitutional under all current rulings. So I presume that the real value of the federal law is that it encourages States to adopt mirrors of the law that can be enforced. I doubt the feds would endanger that by charging someone likely to put up a fight. That said, I'm not about to deliberately volunteer to be the test case for this theory.

    Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

    "With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

    "Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

  11. #11
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Outsider, how did you get this figuring? Did you use one of those walking measurers, or did you use a tape measure? Or did you just use really cool math skills?

    Or did you use your cars odometer?

    Explain you process please.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    Outsider, how did you get this figuring? Did you use one of those walking measurers, or did you use a tape measure? Or did you just use really cool math skills?

    Or did you use your cars odometer?

    Explain you process please.
    I don't know how he did it, but I'd use Google Maps. Zoom in on the area you want, click on "My Maps" (you may have to be logged into your Google account), click "Create Map", then use the straight line tool to draw a line. It will show you the length of the line.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Orem, Utah, USA
    Posts
    385

    Post imported post

    thx997303 wrote:
    Outsider, how did you get this figuring? Did you use one of those walking measurers, or did you use a tape measure? Or did you just use really cool math skills?

    Or did you use your cars odometer?

    Explain you process please.
    I used my car's odometer. I stopped at the very edge of the North UVU Student Parking lot (the furthest north part of the entire campus) and reset my trip odometer to 0. I then drove and watched it goto .2 miles and stopped, it was about 2 blocks. I just pulled up Google Maps and drew the line thing and confirmed. Two blocks is basically the distance you need.

    Now I was wondering something about the "Gun Free School Zone Act." I was reading Mitch's book and he said that only three exceptions on who can discharge a firearm on school property: "(1) discharging them on private property not part of the school grounds, (2) discharging them as part of a program approved by the school (like R.O.T.C. training) and (3) by law enforcement and private security officers performing their office duties" (Utah Gun Law, pag 275).

    Does that mean I can have a firearm on me but I can't use it in a school shooting? Because on page 277 sub-section (3)(A) says "except those provided in subparagraph (B)" does that exempt me because I have a Utah CFP? Meaning since in (2)(A)(ii) I have a CFP I can discharge in defense of self, family, and others or does it mean that only those listed in (3)(B) on page 278 being the only ones to discharge period?

    Sorry if that sounds a little confusing because I am confused.
    Charles A. Hall, self-proclaimed Lone Eagle || Carry: Kahr CW40
    Lone Eagle Observer (http://www.charlesahall.us)
    Facebook Page || http://twitter.com/CharlesAHall

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •