• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Schools Out For Summer!!!

Outsider

imported post

So, all of school is out except those lucky souls that get to do summer school. But overall school is okay and the campuses around us sit empty. Does this mean that the "Gun-Free Zone" from the US Government still stands or is on "vacation" so us without permits can drive through without having to seal up the gun every five minutes? I'm pretty sure I can't around Utah Valley University but kinda silly if all the grade schools are out and no one using them. HELP!!!

ScottyT

imported post

As far as I know, the Gun Free School Zones Act doesn't say 1000 feet from a school that is in session.

Guess you just need to hurry up and get that CFP so you can avoid all the hassle!

Outsider

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
As far as I know, the Gun Free School Zones Act doesn't say 1000 feet from a school that is in session.

Guess you just need to hurry up and get that CFP so you can avoid all the hassle!
Tell that to BCI! I'm getting... jittering... everyday the mailbox is like waiting for Christmas.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Outsider wrote:
ScottyT wrote:

Tell that to BCI! I'm getting... jittering... everyday the mailbox is like waiting for Christmas.
Same here... Even though I know it won't come until July (based on the day the cashed my check) I still have hope that things will speed up over there.

Outsider

imported post

Okay, what is a 1000 feet in like city blocks? I did the math around UVU the other day (put my gun in my house before I did this).

5280 feet = 1 mile

528 feet = 1/10 of a mile

1/10 of a mile x 2 = 1056 feet

About 2 blocks in Orem = 1056 feet

So it is basically two blocks from any school? Just trying to do the math here.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Outsider wrote:
Okay, what is a 1000 feet in like city blocks? I did the math around UVU the other day (put my gun in my house before I did this).

5280 feet = 1 mile

528 feet = 1/10 of a mile

1/10 of a mile x 2 = 1056 feet

About 2 blocks in Orem = 1056 feet

So it is basically two blocks from any school? Just trying to do the math here.
How many people does this law criminalize? Once off private property (out of your driveway), any gun owner without a CFP (read: a non-OC, non-CC civilian just going to the range or hunting) who lives within 1000 ft of a school is guilty.

swillden

imported post

timf343 wrote:
How many people does this law criminalize? Once off private property (out of your driveway), any gun owner without a CFP (read: a non-OC, non-CC civilian just going to the range or hunting) who lives within 1000 ft of a school is guilty.
Absolutely right.

Gun owners who know about it can protect themselves by putting their unloaded guns in a locked case (complying with the exception in the GFSZA, §922(q)(2)(B)(iii)), or by putting their unloaded guns in the trunk (complying with the FOPA Safe Passage provision, §926A), but I'll bet this law is broken thousands of times every day by people who have no idea it's an issue.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

To go a step further, how many "true" criminals are arrested under this law? I know it's impossible to know how many criminals this law deters (if any), but do you know whether anyone has actually been charged with a violation of this law, and whether any other charges were also filed?

swillden

imported post

timf343 wrote:
To go a step further, how many "true" criminals are arrested under this law? I know it's impossible to know how many criminals this law deters (if any), but do you know whether anyone has actually been charged with a violation of this law, and whether any other charges were also filed?
I'd be surprised if anyone has been charged. The first version of this law was struck down by SCOTUS as unconstitutional (US v Lopez). Congress re-passed the law with the addition of a little language specifying that the firearm has to have moved in or affected interstate commerce, but the law is still probably unconstitutional, and the feds know it.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

swillden wrote:
I'd be surprised if anyone has been charged. The first version of this law was struck down by SCOTUS as unconstitutional (US v Lopez). Congress re-passed the law with the addition of a little language specifying that the firearm has to have moved in or affected interstate commerce, but the law is still probably unconstitutional, and the feds know it.
However, State versions of the law ARE constitutional under all current rulings. So I presume that the real value of the federal law is that it encourages States to adopt mirrors of the law that can be enforced. I doubt the feds would endanger that by charging someone likely to put up a fight. That said, I'm not about to deliberately volunteer to be the test case for this theory.

Charles

thx997303

imported post

Outsider, how did you get this figuring? Did you use one of those walking measurers, or did you use a tape measure? Or did you just use really cool math skills?

Or did you use your cars odometer?

Explain you process please.

swillden

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Outsider, how did you get this figuring? Did you use one of those walking measurers, or did you use a tape measure? Or did you just use really cool math skills?

I don't know how he did it, but I'd use Google Maps. Zoom in on the area you want, click on "My Maps" (you may have to be logged into your Google account), click "Create Map", then use the straight line tool to draw a line. It will show you the length of the line.

Outsider

imported post

thx997303 wrote:

I used my car's odometer. I stopped at the very edge of the North UVU Student Parking lot (the furthest north part of the entire campus) and reset my trip odometer to 0. I then drove and watched it goto .2 miles and stopped, it was about 2 blocks. I just pulled up Google Maps and drew the line thing and confirmed. Two blocks is basically the distance you need.

Now I was wondering something about the "Gun Free School Zone Act." I was reading Mitch's book and he said that only three exceptions on who can discharge a firearm on school property: "(1) discharging them on private property not part of the school grounds, (2) discharging them as part of a program approved by the school (like R.O.T.C. training) and (3) by law enforcement and private security officers performing their office duties" (Utah Gun Law, pag 275).

Does that mean I can have a firearm on me but I can't use it in a school shooting? Because on page 277 sub-section (3)(A) says "except those provided in subparagraph (B)" does that exempt me because I have a Utah CFP? Meaning since in (2)(A)(ii) I have a CFP I can discharge in defense of self, family, and others or does it mean that only those listed in (3)(B) on page 278 being the only ones to discharge period?

Sorry if that sounds a little confusing because I am confused.