• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry.org and Sgt Jensen in the LA Times!

unreconstructed1

imported post

Legba wrote:
Outstanding, all this exposure. I don't know how many customers I've tried to tell this to. They complain how much it costs for a permit and I remind them that they don't strictly need one and I get this "damn, you're a nutcase" look most of the time. Maybe they'll believe it when they see it in the press (although I don't know why they should on that basis...)

-ljp

that depends on where you are at. I normally don't nitpick, but some places you DO need a permit, even to OC.

and it's great to see C making such big waves everywhere.

Giustiniani

imported post

There are 105 pages of comments as of 8am EST. I have read about six of them. There are a few antis in there, but mostly what I have seen have been RKBA advocates trying to explain our position. And what I have noticed isfrom the postsof the antis.. theydon't care - they are prone to emotional responses and berating language- calling us whack jobs and nutcases. They don't like guns, and we(anyone) shouldn't either.

Imagine, then, you antis, a shooter comes into a restaurant that you are eating dinner with your family, and guns have been banned in this country. Where'd he get the gun? Where are the cops? Why is he shooting? And to wish you had the right or ability to defend yourself, or at least, that someone else was prepared enough to do so, so that you and your family might make it home safely, if a bit shook up. But now you can't.

I, on the other hand, will defend myself, and take my chances with the cops - and if it's self defense, then with the cops, there's no risk involved.

Gwee

imperialism2024

imported post

Giustiniani wrote:
Imagine, then, you antis, a shooter comes into a restaurant that you are eating dinner with your family, and guns have been banned in this country. Where'd he get the gun? Where are the cops? Why is he shooting? And to wish you had the right or ability to defend yourself, or at least, that someone else was prepared enough to do so, so that you and your family might make it home safely, if a bit shook up. But now you can't.
Or better yet, he comes in with a knife, or even a menacing-looking blunt object.

Oh, and it's illegal for you to resist the attack.

Welcome to the UK.

I'll admit that 5, 6 years ago, when the UK handgun ban was still new, I used the "first they ban guns, then they'll ban knives, and so on because people will keep finding ways to kill each other" as a rhetorical device. Unfortunately, it has been proven true now.

What is most disturbing is the people who don't believe in a right to self-defense. Fortunately, many anti's in this country still believe that you should be able to resist an attack, but just not with a gun, as you should sacrifice that right in the interest of reducing total gun ownership. We can work with that, I think. What's scary is the new crop of anti's, mostly being seen in the UK, who don't believe that you should resist a violent attack, and that sitting by idly watching your daughter get raped is a mark of good character.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I read thru about 25-30 comments on the LA story before I had to stop. These anti folks spewing "Theres nothing to fear" crap makes me sick. A whole lot of "only cops and military should own them"...ecchh...even a Marine in Iraq was bashing OC/CC, freakin unbelievable...but hey, they have a right to their opinion as do I, as long as they don't infringe upon my rights (or beg for protection as the BG's are raping their wives and daughters), then so be it.

AnaxImperator

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
...even a Marine in Iraq was bashing OC/CC, freakin unbelievable...

Yeh..... Then again, I've seen plenty of "Veterans For Obama" stickers around here on post. :uhoh: And I've encountered a few others in the Armywho are very anti-gun.

Hell, my own "acting" cmdr refused to let me keepthe SLR-95 (Arsenal AK-clone) at my on-post house. (I inherited it from my father-in-law when he passed away)Initially she was ok with it, but once shelearned that it was a semi-automaticcarbine in 7.62x39, I was ordered to lock it in the unit arms-room. Sheasked me what I intended to use it for, and I told her "target-practice& small-to-medium game hunting". That, and the caliber, caused her to flip out.

She completely lied to me, stating that the Provost Marshal told her that it was illegal tohunt with a semi-auto 7.62mm firearm, and her own personal view was that it would "cause cruel & unusual punishment" to an animal if shot with a 7.62x39mm round. Even so, when I asked if I could draw my SLR from the arms-room for a day of plinking, I was refused until I obtained a CWP, Army range-safety qualification, hunting permit, and 40hrs of hunter-safety classes. WTF?!? Why would I need anything related to hunting, if it was illegal to hunt with the rifle?!?

I learned that her view was shared by others, as the IG investigator totally disregarded the fact that she lied in a sworn-statement because he agreed with her.... and didn'teven bother to ask the Provost Marshal about the legality of the rifle & caliber in question for use in hunting. I had printed out every Federal, State, and Armylaw, regulation, and statute regarding the supposed illegality of a 7.62x39mm semi-automatic rifle being used for hunting (in Colorado or nationwide).I was roughly dismissed when I pointed out that the only restrictions were; A. FMJ ammunition cannot be used for game-hunting, and;B. nomagazines greater than 5-rounds may be used.

When our acting-cmdr was replaced, I brought the subject up to the new cmdr & 1st Sgt..... and not even to try and keep the SLR at my house, but only to be able to draw it from the arms-room for target-practice, and not have to get a CWP, etc. But it turned out that they're just as anti-gun as the previous cmdr. On top of the previous prerequisites I was given to draw my rifle from the arms-room, additional ones were added. I had to have an E-6 or above signforMY rifle out of the arms-room,accompany me to the range, and not let me fire any other firearms while at the range! It turns out that none of those restrictions were placed on soldiers living off-post, or E-6's and above living on or off-post.

And the thing that really got me was that these rules weren't in place because I am a "high-risk" or "disciplinary-problem" soldier.... it was simply because my cmdrs & senior NCOs considered my rifle an "assault-weapon", they believed the lies given by the previous acting cmdr, and because of my rank. Evidently, rank somehow denotes maturity.... even though I'm almost 30yrs old, never had any disciplinary issues..... and I've known several senior NCOs with the maturity level of a 12yr old.

Sorry.... rant off. It just really bugs the hell out of me when I encounter leftist liberalanti-guninfestingour military. :banghead:

Evil Ernie

imported post

How the F*** can one be in the military and anti-gun?!?!?!??! Especially on an infantry based post?!?!?!? sheesh, my head hurts...

Why do I always choose hobbies that the gummint wants to ban/cease/kill? Oh yeah, cuz they're fun...can't allow anyone to have "fun", they might overthrow the government with a "Fun Revolution"....eccchhhh......

MetalChris

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
AnaxImperator wrote:
Sorry.... rant off. It just really bugs the hell out of me when I encounter leftist liberalanti-guninfestingour military. :banghead:
And how do those differ from right-wing conservative nanny-statists? :uhoh:
The right-wingers like guns, so that makes them coo. ;)

Legba

imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
Legba wrote:
Outstanding, all this exposure. I don't know how many customers I've tried to tell this to. They complain how much it costs for a permit and I remind them that they don't strictly need one and I get this "damn, you're a nutcase" look most of the time. Maybe they'll believe it when they see it in the press (although I don't know why they should on that basis...)

-ljp

that depends on where you are at. I normally don't nitpick, but some places you DO need a permit, even to OC.

and it's great to see C making such big waves everywhere.
True - I meant local (Ohio) jurisdiction.Better clarifybefore some reader from somewhere else takes this as blanket permission/approval.

-ljp

AnaxImperator

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
How the F*** can one be in the military and anti-gun?!?!?!??! Especially on an infantry based post?!?!?!? sheesh, my head hurts...
You'd be surprised.... I've ran into most anti-gun soldiers in support MOS'es. Invariably they all joined for the college, and see the marksmanship aspect of being in the Army as a necessary evil. That's why they picked admin/logistics specialties; to avoid combat. I went from a combat-maintenance unit in Germany, to a supply/support unit here.... I never dreamed that there was such a company in the Army that would actually relieve every soldier of their ammunition in a combat zone!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Agreed. I am a Quartermaster, and there are some pretty liberal, anti-gunners in my company. They are only there for the free tuition. Other than that, they bitch and moan about nearly everything.

MetalChris

imported post

In my 8 years inthe "Ch"Air Force, I have yet to meet anyone that's anti-gun, and I'm in an IT AFSC ...I'd never DREAM there would be anti-gunners in the Army! When I filled out my registration paperwork for having firearms on base (/vomits all over the floor) the commander had no issues signing it...

JosephMingle

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:

It's important to understand that though military service is unique, those who make up the services are simply a microcosm of the larger society. Most of my troops (I'm in a join unit) were quite ignorant of anything having to do with firearms asthey relate to civilians. My troops think its "cool" that a senior officer carries a sidearm all the time.