• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

EAA Witness .45 ACP

RedRuger

imported post

I own the blued steel version. It has a good solid feel to it, good grips, and shoots where I aim it. The concern I have is that the front end of the slide has sharp edges on it that can cut you. The polymer version may be better in that respect.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have the same firearm, I won it at a banquette dinner. I hadn't noticed any sharp edges, but I'll double check now that I know what to look for.

My question was more about would this firearms be appropriate for open carry. Some on here had indicated that wearing my six-gun quick draw rig with the 8.33-inch barrel .44mag would create undo attention and potentially a bad first impression.

I'll take advice on appropriate PP ammo as well.

RedRuger

imported post

Yes, I think the 8.33 inch barreled 44 mag might be a little more visiable than you would want for open carry. A black Witness 45 in a dark brown or black holster hung on dark slacks would certainly be less likley to invoke comment.

As for ammo, I like the Corbon DPX and Winchester SXT hollow points.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I might look at the EAA in 10mm. You could use the slow stuff to get used to the weapon, then as you got better, you could work into the 175gr Silvertip Winchester. It holds more rounds in 10mm and the slow stuff is about equal to the 40 S&W or 45 ACP. The full bore stuff is about equal to the .41 Magnum.

Better would be a 357 "N" Smithwith 8 shots and a 5" barrel, but I digress...