• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First LEO "encounter"

cmbf117

imported post

And it was uneventful. :)Mostly because I called them, I'm sure. ;)

Explanation: I've moved out of Blacksburg for good, as of tonight. I packed as much as I could in my car with me and my degree,and left that boring little hole in the wall. Unfortunately, I guess my car didn't want to leave, so it decided to blow one of its tires out 200 miles from home. :(The belt came loose and sent the balance out of whack, shaking ensued, and finally, BLAMMO.

Anyway, I pulled out the cell, hit #77, and a short while later VSP shows up. He makes sure I'm ok, helps me get set up with a tow truck, and asks me about my G19. The conversation went something like this:

Trooper: "What's that on your side, there?"

Me: "Oh, my Glock 19."

T: "What's it doing out in the open like that?" (He had a knowing smile on at this point)

Me: "I like to open carry it with me, especially on the 4 hour car rides to and from school."

T: "Ah yeah, we don't see people doing that very often. I don't blame you, either."

It got cut short here as he got a response from dispatch about my AAA status (dispatch does AAA? :?), but I have a feeling he was talking about some of the places along 81 in the southern part of VA, like Buchanan. I know I'd been through Buchanan before, and let's just say I did not feel comfortable enough to ever return...:shock:Hell, when I called my old man and let him know what was up, he was happy I had the gun on me...this from the same man who was really upset when I told him I was going to purchase it! :lol:

Anyway, the trooper was cool, even came back an hour later to check up on me, and the tow guy was nice and professional. All in all a decent night, despite the delay. :)

EDIT: forgot to mention, who named "Dismal Hollow Road"? Seriously? Worst street name ever.

Chkultr

imported post

ed wrote:
You should call in to find out who he was and drop a letter in the mail for his courtesy and professionalism.

Ed
I agree! You have to give the compliments as well as give the complaints! Glad you had an uneventful encounter!