• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Refusal Weekend: Illinois Cops Will Forcibly Take Blood

bayfire66

imported post

Sometime soon, drunken driving suspects in Kane County will have a new choice: Get your blood-alcohol level measured in a breath, blood or urine test, or have your blood drawn involuntarily.

On No Refusal Weekend the option of refusing to take a test will not be available. At least not to drivers arrested by St. Charles, Batavia and Geneva police and Kane County sheriff’s deputies.

Kane County State’s Attorney John Barsanti announced the proposal Wednesday. He refused to say what weekend the program will be instituted. The idea was brought to his attention by First Assistant State’s Attorney Clint Hull, who read about its use in other states.

Read entire article

imperialism2024

imported post

Well, it's for "safety".

Granted, the "give us your blood or be found automatically guilty" kind of goes against "innocent until proven guilty", even though that's a now-defunct concept in today's society of nanny-statists and theocratic statists. If it's not "for your own good", it's because you shouldn't be doing it anyway, so they say.

I believe we have some members on here who rabidly oppose "drunk" driving, by whatever arbitrary standard is being used that day. But who then turn around and oppose background checks and other so-called "preventative" measures for gun control. Go figure.

Anyhow, this shouldn't really be much of a surprise in Illinois... as we all know of their opinion on relying on personal responsibility for gun ownership.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Well, it's for "safety".
... and tyranny.

It does put an interesting spin on South Carolina's issue of the definition of a 'medical facility', where legal carry is prohibited. Some have argued that unsupervised phlebotomy is a medical practice - now unlicensed phlebotomists will be drawing blood.

I wonder whence the empirical opinions on this? I have the scars to document my extensive experience.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed whre they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
"give us your blood or be found automatically guilty"

Hmmm. That raises a question for me. The above statement phrases a provision in the law for the suspect to make a choice. How can the CA arbitrarily and temporarily remove that provision from the law?

I think if I was a state legislator I would have to take a paddle to the CA for presuming to do my job better than I already do, without authority.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I agree. It seems that discussion of the limits on State action inevitably are interpreted as limits on the enforcers of State policy and thus 'harsh criticism'.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with sits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Samuel Adams

imported post

IWasn-t-Using-My-Civil-Liberti.jpg

imperialism2024

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
"give us your blood or be found automatically guilty"

Hmmm. That raises a question for me. The above statement phrases a provision in the law for the suspect to make a choice. How can the CA arbitrarily and temporarily remove that provision from the law?

I think if I was a state legislator I would have to take a paddle to the CA for presuming to do my job better than I already do, without authority.
I don't really even agree with that option.

As the "drunk" driving regulations are written now, one must prove one's innocence when accused by the government of being guilty. That screams "unconstitutional" to me. Not to mention the pointlessness of the laws to begin with...

G9M&P15

imported post

That's how it works in Virginia, already. If you refuse to give a breathalizer, they take you to the station and draw blood. Implied Consent: one of the restrictions to using public roads is that you consent to DUI tests and can be required to show your license.

LEO 229

imported post

I donot really like the ideaof citizens having to be forced to turn over their blood against their will...

But drunk drivers injure and kill other innocent people on the roads. This is simply not right!!

There are people who cause accidents and the police respond to work the wrecks. If theimpaired driverwas high on crack cocaine and refused to take ANY sobrietytests... how do you prove he was impaired when you go to court?

He gets an attorney and wins and this means he gets to drive and do it all over again. He is charged with a minor violation instead of getting the DWI jail time he deserves. Additional DWI convictions equal MORE jail time to keep him off the roads.

Keeping in mind... You and your family could fall victim to his driving.

So if you are driving and suspected of being impaired... I actually like the idea that you must submit to the test.

Sorry.... nobody has the right to drive impaired and kill people.

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I doreally like the ideaof citizens having to be forced to turn over their blood against their will...

I Disagree! Forcing someone to turn over thier blood agiasnt there will in my opinion is nothing more than a form of self-incriminating. you are bearing witness agiasnt yourself! but the courts don't see it that way.

But I agree nobody has the right to drive impaired and put my life or other's at risk.

A good read on DUI laws and how MADD has helped erode our civil rights.

http://www.duicenter.com/lectures/exception01.html

LEO 229

imported post

563 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I doNOT really like the ideaof citizens having to be forced to turn over their blood against their will...

I Disagree! Forcing someone to turn over thier blood agiasnt there will in my opinion is nothing more than a form of self-incriminating. you are bearing witness agiasnt yourself! but the courts don't see it that way.

But I agree nobody has the right to drive impaired and put my life or other's at risk.

A good read on DUI laws and how MADD has helped erode our civil rights.

http://www.duicenter.com/lectures/exception01.html
Whoops!! I did not say that correctly!! I was editing and lost the word NOT.

benron

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I donot really like the ideaof citizens having to be forced to turn over their blood against their will...

But drunk drivers injure and kill other innocent people on the roads. This is simply not right!!

There are people who cause accidents and the police respond to work the wrecks. If theimpaired driverwas high on crack cocaine and refused to take ANY sobrietytests... how do you prove he was impaired when you go to court?

He gets an attorney and wins and this means he gets to drive and do it all over again. He is charged with a minor violation instead of getting the DWI jail time he deserves. Additional DWI convictions equal MORE jail time to keep him off the roads.

Keeping in mind... You and your family could fall victim to his driving.

So if you are driving and suspected of being impaired... I actually like the idea that you must submit to the test.

Sorry.... nobody has the right to drive impaired and kill people.
I do agree with you when you say that nobody has that right to drive impaired,but we are treading on a very slippery slope,when we start to violate peoples constitutional rights.

LEO 229

imported post

benron wrote:
I do agree with you when you say that nobody has that right to drive impaired,but we are treading on a very slippery slope,when we start to violate peoples constitutional rights.
Sorry.... after doing the job and seeing so many get to avoid jail and get to go do it again has hardened me in a few ways. I despise those that drive while impaired and if this one thing helps to make sure they go to jail... I am for it.

In Virginiayou are required to provide a sample or blood or breath if you drive on the roads. Refusal causes you to lose your privilege to drive for a year. But you can STILL be driving drunk on the road instead of jail.

As I said... I do not care for the idea of forcing someone to give blood... but I would like a mandatory sample for those suspected of drunk driving.

But..... that will probably never happen here anyway. ;)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
As I said... I do not care for the idea of forcing someone to give blood... but I would like a mandatory sample for those suspected of drunk driving.

Well gee anyone coming out of a restaurant could be suspected of drunk driving, where are you drawing the line with that one?

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Well gee anyone coming out of a restaurant could be suspected of drunk driving, where are you drawing the line with that one?
Do not get me wrong... I am talking about circumstances that require it as a last resort. The guy that wrecks and hurts people but refuses the sobriety tests. If he had alcohol you would know and could use what you observed. Buta guy that has indicators of being on drugs is far harder to prove level of intoxication.

But this REALLY is a non-issue because you can just go get a search warrant real quick and return for his blood. Then you get the blood. The bad part is thatthe level decreases while you draft it and getthe warrantsigned.

thewise1

imported post

So, this seems like it'd be great for any attorney defending these DUI offenders - Couldn't they get this evidence thrown out as under the 5th amendment? After all you can't be forced to incriminate yourself, right?

IANAL though, maybe I'm way off

imported post

thewise1 wrote:
So, this seems like it'd be great for any attorney defending these DUI offenders - Couldn't they get this evidence thrown out as under the 5th amendment? After all you can't be forced to incriminate yourself, right?

IANAL though, maybe I'm way off
You'd think so, But the Courts have once agian butchered the consitution, the 5th only applies to spoken testimony.

TheOldSarge

imported post

Actually, the protection against self-incrimination is a little broader thatn just spoken words.

As a former police officer and then US Marshal, I can tell you that in most states, if not every state, the officer first must have probable cause to stop you. That is, he must be able to articulate a valid reason, one that any reasonable person would agree with, to stop you. I think most courts would not find simply coming out of a restaurant (as you suggest, LEO 299) would constitute probable cause. I don't say it never happens, but 99% of the time the courts will require something more: a swerving vehicle, staggering walk, slurred speech, the usual stuff.

The other side of the coin is that while protection against self-incrimination is a constitutional right, operating a motor vehicle is not. So in most, perhaps all,states you have the right to refuse the breathalizer, the right to refuse to provide a blood sample, etc., but the state has the right to prevent you from driving if you don't meet their conditions.

Just happened here: twenty three convictions for drunk driving, license had been suspended a couple of years ago, but just the other week the man was driving drunk, crossed the center line, killed the mother and one of the children, and put the father in a wheelchair for life.

What really bothers me is that there have been many, many, many instances of an individual who has a lengthy record of drunk driving convictions like that driver(convictions, not just being stopped by an officer) yet they still keep on driving until they kill someone.

More than thirty years ago, because as a police officer, I had seen the terrible damage drunk drivers had done to innocent families, the deaths and carnage they had caused,I developed a proposal that US police copy the European system and randomly put up roadblocks and check each car for proper insurance, an equipment/safety check, driver's license, etc. We researched the civil rights aspect and determined that there was no civil right to driving: it was a privilege granted by the state. However, the proposal was shot down because the public would not have stood for it.

Now, after so many needless deaths, terrible injuries, etc., the public has become much more open to the idea.

Think of it this way: what if that person who is dearest to you were paralized for life by an impaired, uninsured, unlicensed driver, someone with no assets, so it would be pointless to sue them. What do you do? You can't afford round the clock caregivers. Do you quit your job to take carer of that loved one? And if that driver had a record of repeated drunk driving offenses, you'd be deeply angry that more hadn't been done to get drivers like that off the road, wouldn't you? How much of your "freedom" to drive would you have wished that you had given up to keep that accident from happening?

I'm all for our constitutional rights, I know acouple dozenways the government (at every level) has violated our rights. I've seen government documents that instructed government agents to ride roughshod over our rights, and I fear for my children and granchildren- but giving a suspected drunk driver a choice between consenting to a test and surrrendering their driver's license doesn't bother me very much.

Some things to think about....