Thread: open carry OK at forest service campground in Plumas National Forest?

Post imported post

I find myself camping tonight at a developed (sites, running water, vault toilets) US Forest Service campground on the Feather River in the Plumas National Forest. I've found signs regulating discharge but not carry. Is it OK to open carry? Loaded or unloaded?

FYI, Plumas County has about 20,000 residents, I seem to recall this means I can open carry loaded since the county is rural w/ less than xxx,xxx residents (like we do everywhere next door in Nevada), correct?

I eagerly await your reply -- and I apologize in advance for asking -- but your CA gun laws are mighty confusing and I want to be sure...

writing to you live from Keddie Wye...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Population is irrelavent, and is only mentioned in statute as criteria for a local sheriff to issue permits to carry loaded. To my knowledge no such permit has been issued in the entire state.

You can carry loaded if you are (1) not in an incorporated area (e.g. within city limits) and (2) not in an area where discharging a firearm is prohibited.

Also, you may want to be wary of carrying while you go camping. If you are in a state or federal park I don't think you can carry at all.

Also, while you are camping and within your campsite/RV/etc you are exempt from our concealed carry and loaded firearm laws.

I encourage you to read our Open Carry Flyer, which may tell you something I missed here.

Enjoy your stay.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

wayneco wrote:
    I find myself camping tonight at a developed (sites, running water, vault toilets) US Forest Service campground on the Feather River in the Plumas National Forest. I've found signs regulating discharge but not carry. Is it OK to open carry? Loaded or unloaded?

FYI, Plumas County has about 20,000 residents, I seem to recall this means I can open carry loaded since the county is rural w/ less than xxx,xxx residents (like we do everywhere next door in Nevada), correct?

I eagerly await your reply -- and I apologize in advance for asking -- but your CA gun laws are mighty confusing and I want to be sure...

writing to you live from Keddie Wye...
    Whenin UNincorporated areas andif discharge is prohibited by law then loaded carry is prohibited (PC 12031g). Keep the loaded mags exposed and separate from the firearm.

If in an UNincorportate area and discharge is not prohibited then loaded open carry (loaded mag in well)is not prohibited provided you're not in another prohibited area like a 1000' school zone.

National Forests are usually all found in UNincorporated areas.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Also, while you are camping and within your campsite/RV/etc you are exempt from our concealed carry and loaded firearm laws.
    It's not just at your campsite, you can carry concealed on the way to your campsite according to 12026.2:

Code:
    12026.2.  (a) Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
    following:
    (11) The transportation of a firearm by a person when going
    directly to, or coming directly from, a lawful camping activity for
    the purpose of having that firearm available for lawful personal
    protection while at the lawful campsite. This paragraph shall not be
    construed to override the statutory authority granted to the
    Department of Parks and Recreation or any other state or local
    governmental agencies to promulgate rules and regulations governing
    the administration of parks and campgrounds.
    Of course, 12025 is the list of concealed carry definitions:
    12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when
    he or she does any of the following...

So technically, as long as it's okay to have a firearm in the park, then you can carry _directly_ to and from the campsite. Not sure if that means from your car to your campsite, or from your house to your campsite, or what. I'd probably take it to mean your car to your campsite.

Post imported post

Generally with few exceptions, open carry is legal in any National FOREST, National PARKS however are the exact opposite.

I would call the ranger office for that Natl Forest and just ask to make sure.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    Also, you may want to be wary of carrying while you go camping. If you are in a state or federal park I don't think you can carry at all.
    he said he was going to a federal forest - as we know, open carry is allowed there unless unlawful as a matter of state law.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

State laws apply while in National Forests, so 12025 and 12031 apply. However, much of the forest is unicorperated territory, so loading is OK as long as you are not near roads, water, or campgrounds. Of course, you can load in your own campsite per 12031.

Here's links to the USFS policy:

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog.../welcome.shtml

And the BLM while I'm at it:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/rec...ing.print.html