• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry OK at forest service campground in Plumas National Forest?

wayneco

imported post

I find myself camping tonight at a developed (sites, running water, vault toilets) US Forest Service campground on the Feather River in the Plumas National Forest. I've found signs regulating discharge but not carry. Is it OK to open carry? Loaded or unloaded?

FYI, Plumas County has about 20,000 residents, I seem to recall this means I can open carry loaded since the county is rural w/ less than xxx,xxx residents (like we do everywhere next door in Nevada), correct?

I eagerly await your reply -- and I apologize in advance for asking -- but your CA gun laws are mighty confusing and I want to be sure...

writing to you live from Keddie Wye...

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Population is irrelavent, and is only mentioned in statute as criteria for a local sheriff to issue permits to carry loaded. To my knowledge no such permit has been issued in the entire state.

You can carry loaded if you are (1) not in an incorporated area (e.g. within city limits) and (2) not in an area where discharging a firearm is prohibited.

Also, you may want to be wary of carrying while you go camping. If you are in a state or federal park I don't think you can carry at all.

Also, while you are camping and within your campsite/RV/etc you are exempt from our concealed carry and loaded firearm laws.

I encourage you to read our Open Carry Flyer, which may tell you something I missed here.

Enjoy your stay.

cato

imported post

wayneco wrote:
I find myself camping tonight at a developed (sites, running water, vault toilets) US Forest Service campground on the Feather River in the Plumas National Forest. I've found signs regulating discharge but not carry. Is it OK to open carry? Loaded or unloaded?

FYI, Plumas County has about 20,000 residents, I seem to recall this means I can open carry loaded since the county is rural w/ less than xxx,xxx residents (like we do everywhere next door in Nevada), correct?

I eagerly await your reply -- and I apologize in advance for asking -- but your CA gun laws are mighty confusing and I want to be sure...

writing to you live from Keddie Wye...

Whenin UNincorporated areas andif discharge is prohibited by law then loaded carry is prohibited (PC 12031g). Keep the loaded mags exposed and separate from the firearm.

If in an UNincorportate area and discharge is not prohibited then loaded open carry (loaded mag in well)is not prohibited provided you're not in another prohibited area like a 1000' school zone.

National Forests are usually all found in UNincorporated areas.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Also, while you are camping and within your campsite/RV/etc you are exempt from our concealed carry and loaded firearm laws.

It's not just at your campsite, you can carry concealed on the way to your campsite according to 12026.2:

Code:
12026.2.  (a) Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:
(11) The transportation of a firearm by a person when going
directly to, or coming directly from, a lawful camping activity for
the purpose of having that firearm available for lawful personal
protection while at the lawful [b][b]campsite[/b].[/b] This paragraph shall not be
construed to override the statutory authority granted to the
Department of Parks and Recreation or any other state or local
governmental agencies to promulgate rules and regulations governing
the administration of parks and campgrounds.
Of course, 12025 is the list of concealed carry definitions:
12025. (a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when
he or she does any of the following...

So technically, as long as it's okay to have a firearm in the park, then you can carry _directly_ to and from the campsite. Not sure if that means from your car to your campsite, or from your house to your campsite, or what. I'd probably take it to mean your car to your campsite.

LOW2000

imported post

Generally with few exceptions, open carry is legal in any National FOREST, National PARKS however are the exact opposite.

I would call the ranger office for that Natl Forest and just ask to make sure.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Also, you may want to be wary of carrying while you go camping. If you are in a state or federal park I don't think you can carry at all.
he said he was going to a federal forest - as we know, open carry is allowed there unless unlawful as a matter of state law.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member