Thread: Moving to Wisconsin

Post imported post

I am contemplating moving to WI this summer. Appleton / Nina area.

I understand the CC is a no no in WI, what about OC.

Can anyone summerize the laws there pretty good?

How bad is the "Hassle factor" in WI towards OC?

Thanks

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Welcome.

OC is not addressed in WI Statutes. http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html There are a thousand chapters of Statutes, each of which may have hundreds of sub-sections that may mention guns. Guns are also regulated in the Administrative Codes and Regulations by DNR, children's welfare, education - - - .

OC is not directly addressed in WI Statutes; guns are not allowed on school grounds, public property or where alcohol is consumed. Loaded and uncased guns are not allowed in cars. OC risks a charge of Disorderly Conduct.

There is a 'hassle factor', how bad it is depends on your sensitivity.

Welcome.

Post imported post

WI is not a very gun friendly state. I open carry. It is legal, but the police dont know that. They (police) need to be better trained to know the laws. I was detained, threatened with arrest for disorderly conduct, and released by the Kenosha police for open carrying a handgun. Out of the 5-6 police officer on the scene, there was one good cop that actually had a vague understanding of the laws. The cop even mentioned that it would be a lot easier if WI passed a concealed permit law so that law enofrcement would not have to deal with calls of people armed with guns when they are really not doing anything wrong.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Welcome.

OC is not addressed in WI Statutes. http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html There are a thousand chapters of Statutes, each of which may have hundreds of sub-sections that may mention guns. Guns are also regulated in the Administrative Codes and Regulations by DNR, children's welfare, education - - - .

OC is not directly addressed in WI Statutes; guns are not allowed on school grounds, public property or where alcohol is consumed. Loaded and uncased guns are not allowed in cars. OC risks a charge of Disorderly Conduct.

There is a 'hassle factor', how bad it is depends on your sensitivity.

Welcome.
    Public property can also be streets, sidewalks, parks, preserves, dumps, rivers, streams, and lakes. So we have to be more specific to answer that question.

Banned

Post imported post

The OP wrote:
    Can anyone summerize the laws there pretty good?

lockman wrote:
    Public property can also be streets, sidewalks, parks, preserves, dumps, rivers, streams, and lakes. So we have to be more specific to answer that question.
    It's not nuclear engineering.

And as far as that goes, I have enough trouble in practice and principle with the Statutes Annotated to not have yet considered DNR Regulations.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

OC is not directly addressed in WI Statutes; guns are not allowed on school public property
    Cite?

Or did you mean to say Public Buildings?

Banned

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    OC is not directly addressed in WI Statutes; guns are not allowed on school grounds, public property
    Are you asking about the different versions of my quoted statement, or my attempt to "summerize the laws there pretty good?"

Wisc. Stats. 941.235

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

I'll be in Port Washington Monday 09 June afternoon and evening.

Post imported post

Thanks, kinda goes along with what the WI gun forum said.

Post imported post

Re: "public property"

Firearms are, generally, not allowed inside government owned or leased buildings.

There is no prohibition from having a gun on the street, sidewalk,lake, river, (DNR does regulate while in a boat)dump orin a park (although in state parks it must be unloaded an encased in most circumstances). As far as I can tell the only place where one is absolutely prohibited from possessing a firearm, without permission, is inside a goverment owned/leased building. Correct me if I've overlooked anything. With the appropriate permission, you can have them anywhere.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"