• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Job Corps - What kind of school?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So, what kind of school would a Job Corps location count as? It seems that it would be hard to call it K-12 due to the age bracket, but then again they do offer GEDs and High School diplomas.

Do vocational/educational institutions count as Universities?

What are the carry implications of a Job Corps location? Obviously, if they are K-12 schools, that will mean no carry within 1000 ft. If they count as Universities, that would presumably mean no carry on actual school property, correct?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Do vocational/educational institutions count as Universities?
If they count as Universities, that would presumably mean no carry on actual school property, correct?
I'm not sure if a vocational school is counted as a private college or university, but I do know the law applies equally to public and private schools.

Decoligny

imported post

Negative on that one. Job Corp falls under the auspices of the Department of Labor and has no connection to the U.S. Military.

Decoligny, TSgt, USAF Retired

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My guess is, as a vocational school, it probably counts as a university.

My real concern is if it could be claimed to be a K-12 school, as they do offer GEDs and high school diplomas. At the same time, it's really not a high school by any definition I would use.

Decoligny

imported post

California Penal Code defines exactly what a University is:

626. (a) As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:

(1) "University" means the University of California, and includes any affiliated institution thereof and any campus or facility owned, operated, or controlled by the Regents of the University of California.
(2) "State university" means any California state university, and includes any campus or facility owned, operated, or controlled by the Trustees of the California State University.

Job Corp does not fall into this definition.

Not a school or a university.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

626.9(h) states:

(h) Notwithstanding Section 12026, any person who brings or possesses a loaded firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or administration by, a public or private university or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it is with the written permission of the university or college president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college authority, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.
Code: