• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield County

Jeff83

imported post

I just wanted to share a short anecdote about OC'ing in Chesterfield.

Several years back I was traveling through and stopped at the Wawa station on Hull St Rd. I filled up, bought a snack, and used the restroom. When I returned to my vehicle it was surrounded by at least four police units and probably eight officers.

They approached me in somewhat of a tactical manner and asked 101 questions about why I was carrying a weapon, did I have a concealed carry permit (as if it mattered), and so forth.

After determining that I was OK to leave another car rolled up marked Sergent and an older officer began to chastise me about how his residents didn't appreciate it and I needed to conceal if I was going to be in his county.

After informing him that was not going to happen he told me to put it in my truck, which I disregarded with a polite comment and drove off. I was then followed for several miles until I merged onto the interstate.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe that happened "several years ago" but we are all about what is happening now.

I OC all over the Chesterfield County area and have run into only a very few places that have asked me to either cover up or go away. The two closest branches of the bank that holds my money have those "No Revolvers" signs on the door but have never said anything to me about OC'ing - even when I'm wearing the ivory-gripped court revolver.

OC is so much not a big deal now that most of us forget to post our experiences in new places like we had just come back from previously unexplored territory. And we are very happy that life is like that!:celebrate

stay safe.

skidmark

Jeff83

imported post

[align=left]This wasn't exactally ancient history, I would venture to say 2005.
[/align]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Jeff83 wrote:
[align=left]This wasn't exactally ancient history, I would venture to say 2005.[/align]
Yes, it's ancient history in Internet time - it only take a year or 2 for law enforcement in any state where open carry starts a happenning to sort of calm down and take OC in stride.

Jeff83

imported post

[align=left]OC has been big for many years, the internet did not start the trend.
[/align]

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
OC is so much not a big deal now that most of us forget to post our experiences in new places like we had just come back from previously unexplored territory. And we are very happy that life is like that!:celebrate

stay safe.

skidmark

I quit bothering to post any outings I've had in either the Northern VA or PWC threads because none were notable, and I carry everyday. Should something be worth mentioning in the future, I'll be sure to share it, but otherwise there is no point.

"And we are very happy that life is like that!:celebrate"

Neplusultra

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark

I quit bothering to post any outings I've had in either the Northern VA or PWC threads because none were notable, and I carry everyday. Should something be worth mentioning in the future, I'll be sure to share it, but otherwise there is no point.

But isn't that the point of posting? To make the point that there was nothing "notable" that happened :)?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark

OC in Chesterfield and greater Richmond is a non-event. I also seldom post as to where I have been OCing for this reason. If anything unusual (worth telling) were to occur, I would make note of it here. I carry 24/7.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/447.html

Come to our June OC dinner and see for yourself.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/11546.html
BTW - it's in Chesterfield County this month. :monkey

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
Only if you accept that something should happen.
Ok :^). My understanding was that the posts were primarily to be a repositry of experiences showing the anti-guners evidence of record that "blood" had not flowed in the streets and that most sane people had no problem with carrying.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark

I wish to ask you sir to please continue to post your OC'ing outtings from time to time, especially when they occur in places new to you or us. It helps those who may wish to visit those places to know what a member has experienced.