• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police called at TJMaxx, stopped by government agent...

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

A Marine is no more a "government agent" than I was when I worked for James Madison University as an upper level student affairs administrator!

Give that dispatcher a cookie!

Neplusultra

imported post

jack wrote:
I wonder if this is the same idiot that was pulling over motorists last fall. His last traffic stop was a off duty Fairfax County police officer. She said, " really , I'm a police officer too (displayed her credentials) and then asked to see his.
I doubt it, I think he's doing jail time......

nova

imported post

Law prohibits the Armed Forces from performing domestic law enforcement.

That guy was violating the Constitution he swore to uphold and protect.

PavePusher

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Aaargh!!!:banghead: As a 17 1/2 year member of the USAF, here's my recommendation.

Immediately ask him to identify which statute you are breaking. When he/she can't answer, tell them you need their name, rank and unit, and the name, rank and contact info of their commanding officer, first sergeant, legal office and Public Affairs unit. Immediatly contact these folks and report the behavior of the member, explain to them what the law is, and offer tohelp brief the troops on local gun laws. The offending troop will certainly have his/her ass eaten for breakfast, lunch and supper, and you may actually get to meet some folks who are genuinely interested in learning something. Contacting the police is also a very good idea, once they get pulled in, the chain of command will follow automaticly.

If one of my troops did something like that, I'd recommenda minimum of two weeks extra duty, a lot of lectures and reading about gun law and law enforcement as pertaining to U.S. military, and require them to attend, at their own expense, a NRA or state class on gun carry, concealed or otherwise.

On behalf of the U.S. Military, I'd like to apologize for your harassment and any loss of faith in our armed forces that may have occured. Unfortunately, we too have some ass-hats amongstus.

I know, bad form to quote myself, but...

I think you should contact the P.A. office and/or Legal office of the nearest Marine base ASAP, and make a report of what occured, even though you don't know who this guy was.If thishe was a Marine, he (and everyone else in the military) needs to be get someremedial training immediately, before he does something that actually gets him in trouble. If he wasn't aMarine, well, hopefully everyone goes awaybetter educated and the old saw about an ounce of prevention takes effect.

I'm going to use this incident as an example of what not to do to my troops on Monday.

Sorry to be punching the deceased equine, but as an active duty member, this sort of behavior makes my eyes start to bleed...

soloban

imported post

You could try to FOIA request the transcript of the call to see if you could get this guys name then report this guy to Quantico or Henderson Hall.

This guy was way out of line.

unrequited

imported post

soloban wrote:
You could try to FOIA request the transcript of the call to see if you could get this guys name then report this guy to Quantico or Henderson Hall.

I thought you couldn't ever FOIA the complaintant for fear of retaliation?

soloban

imported post

unrequited wrote:
soloban wrote:

You're probably 100% right on that...I didnt even think about it from that angle.

Neplusultra

imported post

soloban wrote:
unrequited wrote:
soloban wrote:

You're probably 100% right on that...I didnt even think about it from that angle.
No, I seem to remember reading FOIA reports here that included the name and phone number of the person that filed the complaint. I might be wrong but I seem to remember that because I, like you, thought that wouldn't be included.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

soloban wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Don't let this rest. A well written letter to JAG will get the appropriate attention. Impersonating a Federal Agent is illegal.

kbeazzy

imported post

BobCav wrote:
soloban wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Don't let this rest. A well written letter to JAG will get the appropriate attention. Impersonating a Federal Agent is illegal.
Good job :celebrate

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
Law prohibits the Armed Forces from performing domestic law enforcement.

That guy was violating the Constitution he swore to uphold and protect.

Oooooo. SLAM. Yesssss!

wchiang

imported post

BobCav wrote:
+1. Pulling rank and impersonating someone with law enforcement powers is completely out of line.

LEO 229

imported post

BobCav wrote:
soloban wrote:

Call the local CID office for the nearest base and report it. They will bring him in and nail him for impersonating a federal agent.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Can't you get him on this one?
§ 18.2-174. Impersonating officer.
Any person who shall falsely assume or exercise the functions, powers, duties and privileges incident to the office of sheriff, police officer, marshal, or other peace officer, or who shall falsely assume or pretend to be any such officer, shall be deemed guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(Code 1950, § 18.1-311; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)

TheOldSarge

imported post

When I was young (many years ago) I was doing some security work for a major corporation in a major eastern city. This was back before cell phones, when CB radios were at their peak of popularity, and were not infrequently stolen from cars. Some time after midnight I was told that there was a suspicious person on the fifth level of the parking garage.

When I got to that area, I stopped a man who seemed to be loitering. He flashed a US Treasury badge and told me he was a Secret Service agent doing dignitary protection, so I let him go. Of course, the next morning, the car that was parked at that very spot had a smashed window andwas missing its radio. The lesson I learned: anyone can have a badge and claim to be anything.

And I had to fire I guy who worked for me; he stoppeda guy for running a stop sign. You guessed it! The fellow he stopped was a real police officer.

Fast forward about seven years, and I was a US Marshal. Sitting around in an FBI office, in the publicwaiting room area, I was looking for a pen to fill out some paperwork. I opened a desk drawer and there was an FBI badge- which I or anyone could have walked off with- a perfect opportunity for anyone to "become" an FBI agent.

So it's always wide to be suspicious of anyone claiming to be an officer. But, real world, many officers will get real hostile if you question them in any way. Shouldn't be that way but it's a fact of life. You walk a fine line between being taken advantage of by a fake and being arrested for "obstruction" by a real officer.

And if I had a dollar for the number of times someone has told me that they/their father/their brother/their uncle/their cousin twice removed had a "federal license to carry" I'd be enjoying my retirement a lot more! Ain't no such thing, folks!

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.