• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Things to do in Salt Lake City?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Coming into town one night next week for a class. What's there to doin SLC on a Saturday night? I was thinking about going to see the Bees play.
That is one option.

If you've not yet visited Temple Square it is well worth seeing. (Not really gun friendly, so CC, or if you plan to go inside the Tabernacle--as in Mormon Tabernacle Choir--on the tour, leave the gun in your room or car as the buildings on Temple Square qualify as houses of worship and are legally off limits since the LDS Church has given notice. Misdemeanor offense.)

The Utah State Capital is quite beautiful and well worth a visit if you're into history and architecture. OC/CC friendly.

Depending on how soon you are headed this way, Snowbird may still be open for skiing. If not, some overpriced, but good food in Park City. More reasonably priced food in SLC. The buffet restaurant on the top floor of the Joseph Smith memorial building (formerly the Hotel Utah) is quite good--great views too--and has desserts to die for. Probably not the best place to OC, but CC perfectly legal. And one of the few places where you won't be able to get coffee. Ditto the Lion House restaurant.

Tiburon in Sandy City (about 10 miles or 20 minute drive south of SLC) is fabulous and has a decent wine menu I'm told.

A trip out to the Great Salt Lake (either Saltair or Antelope Island) can be quite nice.

Hill AFB has a good air museum. (I'd guess NOT OC or CC friendly).

If you're in town for more than just one night, the Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City (about a 3 hour drive south from SLC) is one of the best in the nation.

Those who consider shopping to be entertainment seem to enjoy the Gateway.

The Cathedral of the Madeleine is also wonderful to see.

Or, check out the various options listed at <http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60922-Activities-Salt_Lake_City_Utah.html>

Or <www.onlineutah.com/museums.shtml>.

Enjoy your trip.

Charles

UTOC-45-44

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Coming into town one night next week for a class. What's there to doin SLC on a Saturday night? I was thinking about going to see the Bees play.
That is one option.

If you've not yet visited Temple Square it is well worth seeing. (Not really gun friendly, so CC, or if you plan to go inside the Tabernacle--as in Mormon Tabernacle Choir--on the tour, leave the gun in your room or car as the buildings on Temple Square qualify as houses of worship and are legally off limits since the LDS Church has given notice. Misdemeanor offense.)

The Utah State Capital is quite beautiful and well worth a visit if you're into history and architecture. OC/CC friendly.

Depending on how soon you are headed this way, Snowbird may still be open for skiing. If not, some overpriced, but good food in Park City. More reasonably priced food in SLC. The buffet restaurant on the top floor of the Joseph Smith memorial building (formerly the Hotel Utah) is quite good--great views too--and has desserts to die for. Probably not the best place to OC, but CC perfectly legal. And one of the few places where you won't be able to get coffee. Ditto the Lion House restaurant.

Tiburon in Sandy City (about 10 miles or 20 minute drive south of SLC) is fabulous and has a decent wine menu I'm told.

A trip out to the Great Salt Lake (either Saltair or Antelope Island) can be quite nice.

Hill AFB has a good air museum. (I'd guess NOT OC or CC friendly).

If you're in town for more than just one night, the Shakespearean Festival in Cedar City (about a 3 hour drive south from SLC) is one of the best in the nation.

Those who consider shopping to be entertainment seem to enjoy the Gateway.

The Cathedral of the Madeleine is also wonderful to see.

Or, check out the various options listed at <http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60922-Activities-Salt_Lake_City_Utah.html>

Or <http://www.onlineutah.com/museums.shtml>.

Enjoy your trip.

Charles

76-10-530. Trespass with a firearm in a house of worship or private residence -- Notice -- Penalty.
(1) A person, including a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm pursuant to Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, after notice has been given as provided in Subsection (2) that firearms are prohibited, may not knowingly and intentionally:
(a) transport a firearm into:
(i) a house of worship; or
(ii) a private residence; or
(b) while in possession of a firearm, enter or remain in:
(i) a house of worship; or
(ii) a private residence.
(2) Notice that firearms are prohibited may be given by:
(a) personal communication to the actor by:
(i) the church or organization operating the house of worship;
(ii) the owner, lessee, or person with lawful right of possession of the private residence; or
(iii) a person with authority to act for the person or entity in Subsections (2)(a)(i) and (ii);
(b) posting of signs reasonably likely to come to the attention of persons entering the house of worship or private residence;
(c) announcement, by a person with authority to act for the church or organization operating the house of worship, in a regular congregational meeting in the house of worship;
(d) publication in a bulletin, newsletter, worship program, or similar document generally circulated or available to the members of the congregation regularly meeting in the house of worship; or
(e) publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the house of worship is located or the church or organization operating the house of worship has its principal office in this state.
(3) A church or organization operating a house of worship and giving notice that firearms are prohibited may:
(a) revoke the notice, with or without supersedure, by giving further notice in any manner provided in Subsection (2); and
(b) provide or allow exceptions to the prohibition as the church or organization considers advisable.
(4) (a) (i) Within 30 days of giving or revoking any notice pursuant to Subsection (2)(c), (d), or (e), a church or organization operating a house of worship shall notify the division on a form and in a manner as the division shall prescribe.
(ii) The division shall post on its website a list of the churches and organizations operating houses of worship who have given notice under Subsection (4)(a)(i).
(b) Any notice given pursuant to Subsection (2)(c), (d), or (e) shall remain in effect until revoked or for a period of one year from the date the notice was originally given, whichever occurs first.
(5) Nothing in this section permits an owner who has granted the lawful right of possession to a renter or lessee to restrict the renter or lessee from lawfully possessing a firearm in the residence.
(6) A violation of this section is an infraction.

[line]

Amended by Chapter 203, 2003 General Session

swillden

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
TJ quoted the law, but just to clarify the point, it's an infraction (like a speeding ticket), not a misdemeanor.

Still, I'd ask everyone not to OC in temple square for political reasons, even if you don't mind getting a ticket. Getting the church annoyed about it would likely have negative effects on our rights. The church doesn't often use its political muscle, but it's enormously powerful and we don't want it flexing against us.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I'm just in for a night or so for a class and wont be carrying (flying in). I dont know anyone in SLC and actually have very little free time but you guys have given me some neat ideas on things to see.

Thanks!

Jim
When on Saturday night will you be here, ProShooter?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
(6) A violation of this section is an infraction.
[line]Doh!!!

UTOC is absolutely correct. Tresspas in a House of Worship is an infraction. That is what I get for typing with the brain disengaged. Thanks for the correction.

Charles

UTOC-45-44

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I come in late on Friday, the 13th and leave very early on Sunday the 15th

I'll see if I can make it to the Camping trip. If not (due to gas-prices) maybe we could meet for brief dinner? Other might chime in here ?

TJ