• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First negative OC experience.

KnightSG7

imported post

So, tonight, about an hour ago, I was in walmart looking for something for an Ipod for a friend.

I noticed a guy take intrest in my XD and try to follow me through the store, then he approached me asking:

Him: DO YOU HAVE A PERMIT FOR THAT!?!

Me: Sir, there is no permit for open carry in the state of Virginia.

Him: That is not what I asked!, I asked if you had a permit!

Me: Since there is no permit for open carry I do not need one so therefor I do not.

Him: Well you need a permit to buy a handgun, where is your proof of the 4 month waiting period?

:banghead:

Me: Sir there isno waiting period in Virginia for a handgun, there was a background check after paperwork that took 13 minutes.

Then he goes after an employee asking her a gun law, involving a waiting period, yeah I dont know what his problem is.

Then he said :

Him: GET SECURITY

Employee to me: I can ask someone to leave if they are making a customer feel uncomfortable.

Me: I am a customer also, what about me?

They started rambling

I said ...

Me: How about I just leave?

Then he decided to follow me out

Since it was my first experience I didnt think of many things to ask or say until I left, oh well, ill learn.

Just annoyed, because people dont know the law, I had forgotten that I had a copy of the law in my car :banghead:.

First negative experience.............but not the last im afriad.

KnightSG7

imported post

There were some more minor things he said to me, about me not knowing what I am talking about, but I dont remember really what they were, so im not going to post something im not sure of., I need to get a digital voice recorder..

KnightSG7

imported post

If he were to keep asking me questions I was about to ask who he was to ask me all of these questions, but I tried to keep him from causing hell.

He started getting closer to me, and I kept backing up keeping my strong side away from him.

I just wish people would mind their own damn business.

Sleepless

imported post

Was this a manager or a regular grunt and if he was a lowly grunt then why not ask to speak with the manager and explain the situation to that person instead??

smithman

imported post

I have heard many a negative OC story from Walmart. I haven't tried there yet but I would expect here in WI there would be a similar reaction.

Sleepless

imported post

smithman wrote:
I have heard many a negative OC story from Walmart. I haven't tried there yet but I would expect here in WI there would be a similar reaction.

Well unfortunately it is totally against Walmart Corporate Policy and this should be reported to them so that they can sort it out.

Because their corporate policy is that they follow the laws of whichever state the store is located in and seeing as that it is legal in Virginia to open-carry then they are not allowed to confront customers who follow the law and definetly not allowed to throw them out either but I believe that a complaint should be filed with Corporate and also a call should be made to the store manager so that they can deal with the employee.

Chkultr

imported post

4 month waiting period huh? Wow that is a long time to have to wait!:p
Do we need to start carrying around the corporate number along with the card that VCDL publishes in the Defender?
Sorry you had such a bad experience!
Maybe need to get a group and all go at once to Walmart!

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seems like an opportunity to hand him a ocdo card and tell him to check it out if he doesn't know the laws himself. Funny that he was trying to find an employee to ask about gun laws. :D

Bubba Ron

imported post

Chkultr wrote:
Do we need to start carrying around the corporate number along with the card that VCDL publishes in the Defender?
We haven't had the need to "start carrying around the corporate number...." in the Tidewater area - we OC in all the Walmarts around here with no problems. I have even bought ammo while OCing in Walmart without incident.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What an ass!This guy was a criminal. No doubt about it. He not only tried to violate your civil rights, he invaded your personal space too. He was probably an antithinking he could get you to draw onhim, or engage in a physical confrontation so he could martyr himself for the anti cause. . You did the right thing.

I wish I would have been there.

danbus

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Chkultr wrote:
We haven't had the need to "start carring around the corporate number...." in the Tidewater area - we OC in all the Walmarts around here with no problems. I have even bought ammo while OCing in Walmart without incident.
That's because you're down.:p

Bubba Ron

imported post

Yea, I'm down allright :shock:. If you hear from Brian, we need to quickly get together some dining outs for him....hope you, your lady, and Sir William can make them:exclaim:.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree about the dinner for Brian! Let's hope he tell us as soon as he is stateside so we can set something up.

KnightSG7,
Many of us still feel a certain lingering apprehension about OCing, just because it has been dormant so long. Consequently we let ourselves be put on the defensive by loudmouths and chuckleheads like the guy in your story. Its alway fun to think of the witty rejoinders we SHOULD have come up with, blah, blah, blah, but I say keep it simple! He was rude and intrusive. He put you on the spot with inappropriate, stupid comments. You were doing something PERFECTLY LEGAL. If he had instead made ignorant comments about your style of dress, your race, your religion, you probably would have said "I'm not going to speak to someone with your attitude. Leave me alone." Then simply walked away. Short, simple, to the point.

Different rules may apply if the person is a LEO, the store manager, your monther-in-law, etc. If his attitude is just inquisitive, you can turn it into a teaching moment, and maybe make a convert. But you don't have to justify your peaceable behavior to every ignorant boob who comes up spouting claptrap.

On the rare occasions when people have questioned my carrying a pistol, I say "Its very personal; I don't care to discuss it". Try it. it works.

Jeff83

imported post

[align=left]I see a negative trend developing for Hull St Rd. ;)
[/align]

Neplusultra

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Its alway fun to think of the witty rejoinders we SHOULD have come up with, blah, blah, blah
Yea, it is isn't it. This story makes me think of calling security myself and having the man banned from walmart for molesting the patrons. Sir, this man is verbally molesting me, I would like you to remove him from the store so I can shop in peace.....

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

If an encounter like that happens again in Wal-Mart, you should initiate a complaint to the manager. After all, you are the one confronted by another customer for doing nothing wrong. That customer should be ejected for harassing other customers.

Sleepless

imported post

Oh wait a second, was this guy who harassed you a regular person just walking around in the store??

Well then you should have immediately contacted security and have him thrown out and then have the manager called and file a complaint against that person too and possibly the employee too.

Let us know if anything else happens in this case.