• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

scary encounter

Semper Paratus

imported post

For the first time I can say I was happy to not be carrying!:what:

I had just finished dinner and was going outside to play frisbee with my daughters. I was going out to the court yard in our apartment complex. I was 25 to 30 ft in front of my kids going around the corner. It was overcast and dim light and the area I was in had a burnt out light. Suddenly coming strait at me from the other side of the corner was a large man ( when I say large you have to know I am 6'5' 220lbs so quite a big fellow) this guy was looking over hi shoulder behind him. he was holding what appeared to be a AR15. I sidestepped and reached for my CZ52, but it was in the apartment. I was just getting ready to jump the guy knowing he was going in the direction of my kids. then I noticed a orange cap on the muzzle. and saw a 10 or so year old boy chasing behind him with a pistol that was a toy (but if it was a little bit darker it would of looked real). At this point I gave the guy a WTF and told him that playing in the bushes with toy guns could get him in trouble or even themselves shot. turns out the guy was mentally retarded and was playing with his nephew. I took my kids inside and tried to find the guy and boy again to talk to the boys parents or a competent relative but I could not find them again.

I had no doubt in my mind that had I been packing I would have drawn and possibly fired depending on the guys response. No telling what the response would be from some one that was not mentally all there. Two thoughts keep going through my mind. One is thank god I was not carrying. and two if it turned out to be a real gun why was I not packing when my kids and myself needed me to be.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Dang
Without knowing exactly what this guy was doing with his toy gun, I won't comment. Was the muzzle pointed up, or at something?

If the gun was carried in a possibly dangerous fashion I certaintly would have gotten very nervous.

OTOH, I have OC'd long arms before around the marina, going from one boat to another.

The behavior was certaintly suspicious enough to warrant a second look from what you describe though.

You carry a CZ-52? Sweet. I want one of those or a Tokarev. Do you have a decent defensive load for it? The military loads strike me as too fast, and overpenetrating.

Semper Paratus

imported post

the gun was being carried with two hands muzzle pointed strait in front of him in the third eye position finger on the trigger.

For my CZ I use surplus rounds. they are cheep for practice. I would recommend the CZ over the Takarov. the dual cams on the CZ makes it a nail driver. The CZ dos have abrittle firing pin. no dry fire!! but there is an aftermarket replacement that is better and the safety/decocking leavers have issues. on some if you use the decocking leaver when the hammer goes down it will fire but there is a simple test for that.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Semper Paratus wrote:
the gun was being carried with two hands muzzle poined strait infront of him in the third eye position finger on the trigger.

For my CZ I use surplus rounds. they are cheep for practice. I would recomend the CZ over the Takarov. the dual cams on the CZ makes it a nail driver.
Yeah I would have pulled on that. Hopefully would have yelled "Drop it"...

The Tokarev has such a cool history though.

Well, one more excuse to get a CZ-52 though. Neat guns, awesome round.

just_a_car

imported post

Semper Paratus wrote:
(snip)
on some if you use the decocking leaver when the hammer goes down it will fire but there is a simple test for that.
Yup... make sure pistol is unloaded (check again and again), insert pencil with eraser end in, point muzzle up and decock. If the pencil bounces or moves at all, the decocker is no good and you cannot use it safely.

I would love to pick one up when I have the cash. That round is a real penetrator as per http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

Not the best self defense round, but if you're up against body armor, it makes for a good back up weapon. Although, at that point, you either aim for the head or get a rifle.

compmanio365

imported post

Yeah, that was a situation that could have turned ugly fast......would you have been justified in what you might have done? I think so......but I guarantee you'd have to get a jury to decide.......I still would have rather been carrying than not.