• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Educate me

SgtMaj

imported post

I've never owned a firearm (at least not outside of military service, but technically I didn't own my service pieces anyway, good ole' uncle sam did), but I've been thinking about getting a little handgun. So can one you please explain the process of obtaining a firearm liscense / carry permit / concealed carry permit in the state of Tennessee?

Also, what would you recommend for a firearm? I'm looking for something kinda small, nothing flashy or fancy. Also, looking for something cheap... don't have a great deal of money to spend on it. I was thinking about maybe some kind of a .22 or possibly even a glock if that's not too big.

Fallguy

imported post

Here is the info from the state's website on the process of getting a HCP - Handgun Carry Permit.

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/qualifications.htm

Basically you have to take a state approved Handgun Safety Course...I know of two ranges in Memphis that offer them.

Take that certificate and $115 to a full service DL station, fill out the application, get finger printed, turn all that in and wait up to 90 days.

As far as recommending a pistol....Not something I usually do because everyone has different taste, I carry a Glock 32 (Compact .357 sig) I think they are around $475 new.

J-Frame S&W revolvers are nice too if you want a wheel gun.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As far as the gun goes, look into the Taurus Millenium Pro series. They are very compact and come in 9mm, .40 or .45 and they can be had for less than $400 new. Unless you're absolutely sure you can hit someone in the eye every time a .22 is only a step above throwing rocks.

SgtMaj

imported post

Hey, no joke, those aren't bad prices... (apart from the application fee... $140? It can't cost them more than $50 to actually process the application.)

I really thought it would be difficult to find a new handgun under $1000. By the way, what are the drawbacks to buying a used firearm?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you're on a $1000 budget you can get nearly any defense handgun you want. For a new shooter may will recommend a revolver because it is very simple to operate, however if you're willing to invest some time, learning how to use a semi-auotmatic is not difficult.

If you want an idea of costs, this site sells many handguns. Keep in mind that these prices run $50-$75 under what you will find in most gun shops because you have to pay about that much in transfer and shipping charges if you buy online.

Bare minimum you would want for a defense handgun would be .380 auto or .38 special revolver.

Look and see if there is a range nearby where you can rent guns.

You also mentioned interest in glocks. I love mine and glocks are renown for their reliability. Glock offers 2 very compact .45ACP pistols. The 6+1 Glock 36 and the 10+1 Glock 30 are both very compact guns with great stopping power.