• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Seattle...?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'm gonna be passing through Seattle Monday and Tuesday unless my plans change. I will be heading to Lynnwood and taking the bus. Depending on the time of day I either take the 511 from near the ball park, or the 301 in the Metro Tunnel, and will be as usual OCing.

Business as usual, or mebbe tone it down a bit in Seattle for the time being? I'm inclined to keep doing what I do myself.

antispam540

imported post

We went through some similar questions recently (we just got a major gun bill passed in Georgia). The consensus seems to be that when there is a lot of political pressure, and a lot of media attention, we should tone down our actions a bit. It's more important to the cause as a whole ;)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

deanf wrote:
Why all the big secrets around here?
Not that it's any of your business, but I was going to talk to Steve about possibly having dinner or picking him up in Lynnwood when he arrives. Also I was going to suggest that he OC business as usual during the call.

Now that I'm done airing out the laundry, are you satisfied now? :cuss:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

SV,
I PM'd you with my work location and number. Maybe we can link up on Tuesday for lunch. I'm on call all this week so I have to drive in. Depending on how late you are in Seattle and if we have a maintenance release, I'll have space for a ride home.

gsx1138

imported post

The sparrow flies at midnight....the sparrow flies at midnight....

the baker has one red shoe...the baker has one red shoe...

See you guys there. Don't forget the secret knock. :p

Misguided Child

imported post

OC as usual, I haven't seen any reason to change. I don't think SPD will have changed anything about how they approach OC since the shooting was pretty clearly an abberation.

But don't forget your secret decoder ring!

Mainsail

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Business as usual, or mebbe tone it down a bit in Seattle for the time being? I'm inclined to keep doing what I do myself.
I'm confused. Did something happen? I thought Seattle was up to speed on the law now.

joeroket

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
I'm confused. Did something happen? I thought Seattle was up to speed on the law now.
Lonnie asked in another thread that we tone things down in Seattle for the time being.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

No I didn't call for not open carrying, I did call for everyone to stop the rampant speculation and to not start the street protests...yet.

joeroket

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
No I didn't call for not open carrying, I did call for everyone to stop the rampant speculation and to not start the street protests...yet.
No where in my post did I say that you "called" for no open carry. I was referring to this post you made. I guess the "tone it down" part was a little off from what you actually said.

I've been advised by a friend in the movement to ask for a "Hold" on any action at this point. This is much bigger than the open carry movement as all of us know since Seattle seems to be targeting either all gun carriers or just concealed carriers. There are some behind the scenes work being done to help resolve this issue in our favor but us *immediately* open carrying at Seattle Center in response would probably inflame the situation further and make it more difficult for it to be resolved in the long run.

deanf

imported post

Now that I'm done airing out the laundry, are you satisfied now? :cuss:

For now . . .

But when you answer a public question in a public forum with a message that implies that you have something private to tell the OP about the issue at hand, eyebrows are raised. This is particularly true in light of your history of telling people on this board that you are working behind the scenes on this or that particular sub-cause, and that you can't give any details or names, but something is about to change . . . . I think your request for a PM from the OP would have been better handled with a . . . . PM.

I like open government, and I like open activism.

Wheelgunner

imported post

all that is gold does not glitter
not all those who wander are lost

the old that is strong does not wither
deep roots are not reached by the frost

a fire from the ashes shall be woken
a light from the shadows shall spring

renewed shall be the blade that was broken
the crownless again shall be king

just_a_car

imported post

OC'd today in Seattle.

Was meeting a friend I hadn't seen in a while to return a vest and sweater she left in my car. We then went from her work garage in downtown up to Dick's burgers on Broadway in Capitol Hill. There was an SPD walking around the lines and parked in the parking lot. I stood in line with her for a good 10 minutes chatting and the cop had already gone to his car by the time we got in line. The father and daughter that stood in line behind me obviously noticed, but didn't say anything. Got my cheeseburgers and ate them at my car, chatting more with her. As we got to the car, she said "Nice firearm.", having just noticed, and I said "What?.. Oh, thanks." Just before leaving, an SPD car drove by and had to stop behind me (in full view of my OC'd G27) due to people waiting to exit and either he didn't notice or just didn't care and continued on.

Then I joined her while she went shopping at the QFC down the road there on Broadway. Spent probably 20 minutes or more there. No comments and no overtly noticeable stares.

Another day of uneventful OC. I'm pleased to say that all my possible encounters with Seattle PD have been either uneventful or educational for the officer(s).

RangerAv8r

imported post

Lonnie, Tried to IM this to you earlier:

(18:52:36) RangerAv8r: Hi Lonnie. I've been doing the army this weekend.
(18:54:58) RangerAv8r: I heard from a Seattle PD Supervisor, who happens to be my Sergeant Major, that the Seattle mayor is planning to announce that carrying a gun in Seattle at a festival or other public gathering will now be illegal and you will be arrested and have your gun confiscated. I told him that state law preempts such foolishness and he agreed.

John Hardin

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
deanf wrote:
Why all the big secrets around here?
Jeez, most people don't want their phone number made public on the web, so a request for a PM is reasonable I would say.
So why not make the request in a PM?

Also, it's kind of hit-and-miss to assume somebody will be reading a given thread.

deanf

imported post

I heard from a Seattle PD Supervisor, who happens to be my Sergeant Major, that the Seattle mayor is planning to announce that carrying a gun in Seattle at a festival or other public gathering will now be illegal and you will be arrested and have your gun confiscated. I told him that state law preempts such foolishness and he agreed.

Isn't this the kind of thing the guys in VA organize and sue over?

I will be calling Washington Arms Collectors tomorrow after the press conference to see what we are planning on doing.