Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: First Day OC'ing..... First OC'ing Comment from J.Q.Public

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    Ever since returning back Stateside from my 2nd tour in Iraq, I've been wondering about the allowances & restrictions regarding OC in Colorado. I've always considered OC'ing, but due to the rather nebulous nature of trying to track down the applicable laws, I held off on it until I could be absolutely sure that I wouldn't walk across some invisible anti-gunboundary & get popped with a criminal gun charge.

    The L.A. Times piece on OC'ing led me to this website, and all my questions and concerns were thereby allayed.

    So..... Yesterday I confidently belted-on my Norinco M213 in a Bianchi Accumold, and sallied forth to a pleasant afternoon of plinking at my favorite range. Afterwards I wandered back into town for a bite to eat (plinking always gives me a powerful hunger for ribs), and found myself in a nice BBQ joint. The place was rather empty, aside from a half-dozen other patrons and the wait/cook-staff. Being that this was my first time OC'ing, I kept track of the other patrons & employees as I walked to my table, fully expecting to be the subject of stares & whispers.

    I wasn't given even a second glance by any in the establishment, and mymeal was finished without incident.

    Upon leaving, I noticed a small art-gallery adjacent to the resteraunt, and that it was open for an exhibition. Being the inquisitive soul that I am, I wandered in to find a setup showcasing the entire body of work by a little 87yr-old lady. The gallery itself was actually a small converted bungalow, with a coffee-bar & tiki-patio located in the back. Attending the exhibition was a dozen or so middle-to-late vintagedhipsters & baby-boomers. Again, I was initiallygiven no more than a passing glance as I wandered through the display rooms.

    After making my way to the coffee-bar for a hot cocoa and returning to a particular painting that caught my eye earlier, a middle-aged normal approached and began talking to me about the artist's talents & style. A few minutes of small talk later, and he wandered off, and then was replaced shortly after by a middle-aged woman normal (borderline hipster). And the first thing she said to me was;

    "Is that a real gun?"

    I gave her a smile, and answered in the affirmative. "Wow. Is that, um... legal?" Again, I answered "yes" politely, gave her a very brief run-down on Colorado's OC laws, and why I carried ("Better to not need it & have it, etc"). And with that, said middle-aged woman proceeded to ask me about my favorite paintings there, and if I liked to paint or draw. After another few minutes of art-related chit-chat she returned to the tiki-patio, and I left for home.

    While I was driving home, it struck me that I had wandered into what should have been a den of anti-gun sentiment & ignorance.Of all places whereI would've likely encountered a negative statement or attitude towards my OC, it should've been then & there. Instead, it seemed as ifaside from that one lady, everyone else had simply not noticed that I had alarge, brushed-chrome, 9mm semi-automatic hangun at myhip. And when I was given a comment, it was out of sheer curiosity, rather than fear or anger.

    So all in all, my first day OC'ingwas a fine one, and my initial nervousness has evaporated.

    Bah.... who needs a CCW?



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hampton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    495

    Post imported post

    AnaxImperator wrote:
    Ever since returning back Stateside from my 2nd tour in Iraq, I've been wondering about the allowances & restrictions regarding OC in Colorado. I've always considered OC'ing, but due to the rather nebulous nature of trying to track down the applicable laws, I held off on it until I could be absolutely sure that I wouldn't walk across some invisible anti-gunboundary & get popped with a criminal gun charge.

    The L.A. Times piece on OC'ing led me to this website, and all my questions and concerns were thereby allayed.

    So..... Yesterday I confidently belted-on my Norinco M213 in a Bianchi Accumold, and sallied forth to a pleasant afternoon of plinking at my favorite range. Afterwards I wandered back into town for a bite to eat (plinking always gives me a powerful hunger for ribs), and found myself in a nice BBQ joint. The place was rather empty, aside from a half-dozen other patrons and the wait/cook-staff. Being that this was my first time OC'ing, I kept track of the other patrons & employees as I walked to my table, fully expecting to be the subject of stares & whispers.

    I wasn't given even a second glance by any in the establishment, and mymeal was finished without incident.

    Upon leaving, I noticed a small art-gallery adjacent to the resteraunt, and that it was open for an exhibition. Being the inquisitive soul that I am, I wandered in to find a setup showcasing the entire body of work by a little 87yr-old lady. The gallery itself was actually a small converted bungalow, with a coffee-bar & tiki-patio located in the back. Attending the exhibition was a dozen or so middle-to-late vintagedhipsters & baby-boomers. Again, I was initiallygiven no more than a passing glance as I wandered through the display rooms.

    After making my way to the coffee-bar for a hot cocoa and returning to a particular painting that caught my eye earlier, a middle-aged normal approached and began talking to me about the artist's talents & style. A few minutes of small talk later, and he wandered off, and then was replaced shortly after by a middle-aged woman normal (borderline hipster). And the first thing she said to me was;

    "Is that a real gun?"

    I gave her a smile, and answered in the affirmative. "Wow. Is that, um... legal?" Again, I answered "yes" politely, gave her a very brief run-down on Colorado's OC laws, and why I carried ("Better to not need it & have it, etc"). And with that, said middle-aged woman proceeded to ask me about my favorite paintings there, and if I liked to paint or draw. After another few minutes of art-related chit-chat she returned to the tiki-patio, and I left for home.

    While I was driving home, it struck me that I had wandered into what should have been a den of anti-gun sentiment & ignorance.Of all places whereI would've likely encountered a negative statement or attitude towards my OC, it should've been then & there. Instead, it seemed as ifaside from that one lady, everyone else had simply not noticed that I had alarge, brushed-chrome, 9mm semi-automatic hangun at myhip. And when I was given a comment, it was out of sheer curiosity, rather than fear or anger.

    So all in all, my first day OC'ingwas a fine one, and my initial nervousness has evaporated.

    Bah.... who needs a CCW?

    Sounds like a great day to me.

    How I miss it in CO. Would love to relax at the park and watch the sunset on the moutains.

    OT - I used to live on Fountain Blvd in the apartments Whispering Pines, IIRC.

  3. #3
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    danbus wrote:
    AnaxImperator wrote:
    Ever since returning back Stateside from my 2nd tour in Iraq, I've been wondering about the allowances & restrictions regarding OC in Colorado. I've always considered OC'ing, but due to the rather nebulous nature of trying to track down the applicable laws, I held off on it until I could be absolutely sure that I wouldn't walk across some invisible anti-gunboundary & get popped with a criminal gun charge.

    The L.A. Times piece on OC'ing led me to this website, and all my questions and concerns were thereby allayed.

    So..... Yesterday I confidently belted-on my Norinco M213 in a Bianchi Accumold, and sallied forth to a pleasant afternoon of plinking at my favorite range. Afterwards I wandered back into town for a bite to eat (plinking always gives me a powerful hunger for ribs), and found myself in a nice BBQ joint. The place was rather empty, aside from a half-dozen other patrons and the wait/cook-staff. Being that this was my first time OC'ing, I kept track of the other patrons & employees as I walked to my table, fully expecting to be the subject of stares & whispers.

    I wasn't given even a second glance by any in the establishment, and mymeal was finished without incident.

    Upon leaving, I noticed a small art-gallery adjacent to the resteraunt, and that it was open for an exhibition. Being the inquisitive soul that I am, I wandered in to find a setup showcasing the entire body of work by a little 87yr-old lady. The gallery itself was actually a small converted bungalow, with a coffee-bar & tiki-patio located in the back. Attending the exhibition was a dozen or so middle-to-late vintagedhipsters & baby-boomers. Again, I was initiallygiven no more than a passing glance as I wandered through the display rooms.

    After making my way to the coffee-bar for a hot cocoa and returning to a particular painting that caught my eye earlier, a middle-aged normal approached and began talking to me about the artist's talents & style. A few minutes of small talk later, and he wandered off, and then was replaced shortly after by a middle-aged woman normal (borderline hipster). And the first thing she said to me was;

    "Is that a real gun?"

    I gave her a smile, and answered in the affirmative. "Wow. Is that, um... legal?" Again, I answered "yes" politely, gave her a very brief run-down on Colorado's OC laws, and why I carried ("Better to not need it & have it, etc"). And with that, said middle-aged woman proceeded to ask me about my favorite paintings there, and if I liked to paint or draw. After another few minutes of art-related chit-chat she returned to the tiki-patio, and I left for home.

    While I was driving home, it struck me that I had wandered into what should have been a den of anti-gun sentiment & ignorance.Of all places whereI would've likely encountered a negative statement or attitude towards my OC, it should've been then & there. Instead, it seemed as ifaside from that one lady, everyone else had simply not noticed that I had alarge, brushed-chrome, 9mm semi-automatic hangun at myhip. And when I was given a comment, it was out of sheer curiosity, rather than fear or anger.

    So all in all, my first day OC'ingwas a fine one, and my initial nervousness has evaporated.

    Bah.... who needs a CCW?

    Sounds like a great day to me.

    How I miss it in CO. Would love to relax at the park and watch the sunset on the moutains.

    OT - I used to live on Fountain Blvd in the apartments Whispering Pines, IIRC.
    Hey danbus;

    So now you're down in the tidewater of Virginia. That ain't so bad, either. Fact is, there's beauty all over this great nation we call America.. be it mountains, coastal shores, plains, or deserts. Can't imagine living anywhere else in the world. We really have it all right here.


    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    danbus wrote:
    Sounds like a great day to me.

    How I miss it in CO. Would love to relax at the park and watch the sunset on the moutains.

    OT - I used to live on Fountain Blvd in the apartments Whispering Pines, IIRC.
    That's not to far from my favorite gun store, Specialty Sports.


  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Glad to hear you had such an uneventful experience.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    EDIT: Internet hiccup - double tap
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    AnaxImperator wrote:
    Bah.... who needs a CCW?
    Me, to carry my side arm loaded in a car

    Sounds like a great first experience.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    David.Car wrote:
    AnaxImperator wrote:
    Bah.... who needs a CCW?
    Me, to carry my side arm loaded in a car

    Sounds like a great first experience.
    So are you saying that it's illegal to have your sidearm upon your person whilst in the car? (No CCW)

  9. #9
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    Seems like that article has been a really good thing so far.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    icode wrote:
    David.Car wrote:
    AnaxImperator wrote:
    Bah.... who needs a CCW?
    Me, to carry my side arm loaded in a car

    Sounds like a great first experience.
    So are you saying that it's illegal to have your sidearm upon your person whilst in the car? (No CCW)
    In some states yes. See the www.opencarry.org home page for state by state info.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,261

    Post imported post

    I had my first open carry confrontation about 35 years ago with the chief of police in New Haven, Ky. It worked out in my favor and we became friends.

    I want to relay a real funny incident meeting a lady similar to the starter of this post, AnaxImperator.

    I am a part time Correction Officer and have an official shirt and badge (no decoder ring) that I was wearing one particular day in a retail store in Kentucky. I was openly armed as is my wont when on duty.

    I hear this: "Sir? Sir?" I turn my head and this 30 something long, long haired bejeweled lady in what looks like a flowing robe was trying for my attention.

    She continues: "Sir, y'know that looks like aREAL gun!" I turn fully toward her and say: "Yes ma'am, it is" Her eyes grew very large as she saw my badge and said"Yes, I see" while making a hasty retreat.

    That made my day even though I didn't get to educate her.

    As an aside, I carry everywhere I go and carry open when I feel like doing so. No one in these parts worries about it.



  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    Got another "Is that a real gun?" question today....

    I went to Borders to pick up a Heinlein paperback that I had ordered, and a new issue of SGN.

    While I was in the sci-fi book section, a youngster (about 8-10yrs old) walked up to me rather sheepishly. I knew from the look on his face that he was going to ask me about my handgun, and I was right.

    "Mister, I just wanted to ask you if that's a real pistol?" I told him that indeed it is. "Are you a police?"No, I'm not. Just an ordinary guy.

    Ya'll knowhow kids are when they start talking about something they're really interested in. The kid thenlaunched into how much he liked guns, and wishes he could shoot guns, and wants a gun when he's older, and his mom doesn't like guns and sez he can't have any guns, but when he's older and doesn't live at home anymore he'll have his own gun for hunting squirrels and deer. He ended with; "That's ok to have a pistol if you're not policeand not shooting deer?"

    I can't pass up anopportunity to encourage young kids that are interested in firearms.

    "Yep, it's ok because the Constitution's 2nd Amendment says so. Did they teach you in school about the Constitution?".... "Yessir" (polite kid) ..... "The 2nd Amendment saysyou can have guns when you're older,and carry them even ifyou're not a policeman or soldier. But you have to be very safe with guns, and if you want to carry a pistol like mine you have to understand the laws too. It's against the law to carry a pistol like mine but hide it under your shirt, unless you have a special license"...."Like a driver license?".... "Yep, like a driver's license. But in Colorado you can carry apistol like mine in the open.You just can't hide it or threaten anyone with it because you're mad. You canbe put in jail for that.".... "But what if a mean dog comes after me?".... "Well, you could shoot the dog, but only if it tries to bite you. And it might be you'll still get in trouble, because lawyers are bad."....

    The next bit almost had me rolling on the floor; "I know lawyers are bad, my mom says that all lawyers arebloodsuckers and theyhelp my dad steal money from us."

    At that point his mother comes down the aisle and grabs his arm; "******* it, don't talk to him! You don't know who he is!" She had that look ofworking too many late nights at the Super Walmart, and ofwaiting too long between hair-bleaching.

    Something about her accusational tone downright irked me. "It's alright, he just wanted to ask me some questions about my gun. You've given him the right idea about lawyers, but maybe you should let him make his own opinions about firearms."

    "He'sgot nobusiness with guns, and you've got no right to have one in public like that!".... "Yes, I do. Guess you didn'tlisten inschool whilethey were teaching about the Constitution and our Right to Keep & Bear Arms."

    Sheglared at me, sucked the back ofher teeth, and damn near wrenched the kid's arm from his socket as she turned and dragged him down the isle. I felt really bad for the little guy, being raised by a mean-spiritedignorant hag; I could tell he had a good head on his shoulders. It's not often I run into kids that are polite like that, or have the nerve to ask a total stranger a fairly personal question. Then again, kids are rather brutally honest until about the age of12.

    So as far as public response to my OC'ing goes, I'm 2-1.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    AnaxImperator wrote:
    While I was in the sci-fi book section, a youngster (about 8-10yrs old) walked up to me rather sheepishly. I knew from the look on his face that he was going to ask me about my handgun, and I was right.

    "Mister, I just wanted to ask you if that's a real pistol?" I told him that indeed it is. "Are you a police?"No, I'm not. Just an ordinary guy.

    Ya'll knowhow kids are when they start talking about something they're really interested in. The kid thenlaunched into how much he liked guns, and wishes he could shoot guns, and wants a gun when he's older, and his mom doesn't like guns and sez he can't have any guns, but when he's older and doesn't live at home anymore he'll have his own gun for hunting squirrels and deer. He ended with; "That's ok to have a pistol if you're not policeand not shooting deer?"

    I can't pass up anopportunity to encourage young kids that are interested in firearms.

    "Yep, it's ok because the Constitution's 2nd Amendment says so. Did they teach you in school about the Constitution?".... "Yessir" (polite kid) ..... "The 2nd Amendment saysyou can have guns when you're older,and carry them even ifyou're not a policeman or soldier. But you have to be very safe with guns, and if you want to carry a pistol like mine you have to understand the laws too. It's against the law to carry a pistol like mine but hide it under your shirt, unless you have a special license"...."Like a driver license?".... "Yep, like a driver's license. But in Colorado you can carry apistol like mine in the open.You just can't hide it or threaten anyone with it because you're mad. You canbe put in jail for that.".... "But what if a mean dog comes after me?".... "Well, you could shoot the dog, but only if it tries to bite you. And it might be you'll still get in trouble, because lawyers are bad."....

    The next bit almost had me rolling on the floor; "I know lawyers are bad, my mom says that all lawyers arebloodsuckers and theyhelp my dad steal money from us."


    That part made me smile. Renewed my hope for a younger generation, and my hope for America in general.

    And I'll go to sleep now pretending I didn't read after the part I quoted.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Renewed my hope for a younger generation, and my hope for America in general.

    And I'll go to sleep now pretending I didn't read after the part I quoted.
    Yup, kids say the damndest things.... it's too bad they're only cute when they're still larva, andthen likelyend up doing the kinda stuff I did when I hit 16.

    I'm actually surprised the mom didn't grab management or call the police.... then again, I didn't stick around after that little encounter. The store still doesn't have the book I ordered.... and it's been three %#&$!* weeks.

    That's it.... I'm sticking to Barnes & Noble from now on. At least their coffee is better.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    779

    Post imported post

    The next bit almost had me rolling on the floor; "I know lawyers are bad, my mom says that all lawyers arebloodsuckers and theyhelp my dad steal money from us."

    Freakin priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Welcome home Anaximperator!!!!!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    806

    Post imported post

    My mom isn't that bad, but she still made sure I had nothing to do with any kind of gun when she could. Not a toy dart gun or anything else. Anything that had a trigger and ejected something, including water, was imitating a real gun and I was not allowed to have it.

    When I went to this summer camp I always liked to go to though, I would chose to do the rifle range. You could choose certain activities to take up your day and you'd do each for like 2 hours or so everyday for the week you were there. So I'd pick the range for one of my activities (And stuff like the zipline and lake activities) and we'd shoot .22LRs and pellet guns. I would always try to get to one of the .22's though, because it was a "real gun." The instructor had a magazine fed .22LR which I wanted to use (It's SOO KEWL!!) but we were only allowed to use the single shot ones. I also remember one day there was a HUGE (Especially at that age, lol) hole in the wood that held up the targets and I asked the instructor what caused the hole. He was maybe 21, so I thought he was so cool (lol), and he was like "My brother's 12 gauge shotgun." So of course from then on I wanted to try a 12 gauge because it seemed so powerful. I asked him if he could bring it for me to shoot and he was like, "we can't let you shoot that." Unfortunately I didn't get the chance until I bought one myself.


    That was my introduction to firearms and basic firearm safety. I still appreciate that camp to this day, and I'm glad my mom sent me there, not realizing I would be shooting everyday. :P

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    Weak 9mm wrote:
    My mom isn't that bad, but she still made sure I had nothing to do with any kind of gun when she could. Not a toy dart gun or anything else. Anything that had a trigger and ejected something, including water, was imitating a real gun and I was not allowed to have it.

    When I went to this summer camp I always liked to go to though, I always chose to do the rifle range. You could choose certain activities to take up your day and you'd do each for like 2 hours or so everyday for the week you were there. So I always did the range (And stuff like the zipline and lake activities) and we'd shoot .22LRs and pellet guns. I always wanted to get the one of .22's though, because it was "real." The instructor had a magazine fed .22LR which I always wanted to use (It's SOO KEWL!!) but we were only allowed to use the single shot ones. I also remember one day there was a HUGE (Especially at that age, lol) hole in the wood that held up the targets and I asked the instructor what caused the hole. He was maybe 21, so I thought he was so cool (lol), and he was like "My brother's 12 gauge shotgun." So of course then on I wanted to try a 12 gauge but he was like, "we can't let you shoot that." Unfortunately I didn't get the chance until I bought one myself.


    That was my introduction to firearms and basic firearm safety. I still appreciate that camp to this day, and I'm glad my mom sent me there, not realizing I would be shooting everyday. :P
    Good for you:celebrateAnd what mamma didn't know didn't hurt her one little bit.



    My introduction to shooting firearms was 10 years old on the back end of my daddy's 12 guage :what:

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    252

    Post imported post

    I was introduced to firearms with my uncle's vintage blackpowder muskets; we used tojam bowling-balls onto broom-handles, and thenstick 'em into the ground. I remember being mightily impressed whenever we'd nail one of those bowling-balls, and seeing it explode in a fairly cinematic fashion.

    Then I regularly shot BB & pellet-rifles that belonged to my Dad & other uncles, until I was given a single-shot .22 pellet-rifle that was just as powerful as a regular .22.

    My step-father inherited a bring-back Luger which my step-grandfather acquired while searching for Nazis after VE-Day when he wasin Patton's 3rd Army. That was my first experience with a "real" handgun.

    And ever since the beginning, firearms safety was drilled into my head by my uncles & my Dad. My mother doesn't really like guns, but she understands that they're not inherently evil, and she didn't actively try to suppress my interest in firearms.

    I'm a firm believer in nurture vs. nature, especially when it comes to kids & guns, and teaching them respect, safety, and proper usage of them. During the whole of my younger years, there could've been a loaded 9mm sitting unattended in front of me, and I wouldn't have touched it without an adult's permission & supervision. In fact, I would've found the nearest adult and notified them of an unattended firearm without even thinking about it. I knew guns weren't toys & could be dangerous when not handled properly, and some of my friends thought I was a square when I'd get pissed at them for sneaking their dad's 12ga. out for a little show-n-tell.

    So every chance I get, I try to educate young'ins about firearms. And invariably, they always tell me that they're taught in school that guns are very bad and should be illegal except for police & military use. Exactly why my kids ain't going to public school.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    806

    Post imported post

    And invariably, they always tell me that they're taught in school that guns are very bad and should be illegal except for police & military use.
    They're bringing in a new generation of sheep. Nice. :?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Hmpf, I guess I have a sore-spot for anti-lawyer comments. When any one of us is illegally detained/arrested/imprisoned for peaceably keeping and bearing arms, lawyers suddenly don't seem so bad after all.

    I'll be teaching my kids that prosecuters and district attorneys are bad...

  21. #21
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    My first exposure to firearms was through a friend's father's collection. His dad was in WWII (European theater) and brought back a nice little collection for himself. A Mauser, a Luger, a short .32 as I recall, his own carry 1911 Colt's, and a prized fully functional MP40 (could have been the MP38 for all I knew). Thing is, this submachine gun was operational and my friend and I used to play for hours in his back yard with several of these real guns - the MP40 included. He also had, what I seem to remember, an 1861 Springfield that had been passed down through the family from the war (for Southern Independence - they were from Columbia, SC). Yes, I know the Springfield was a U.S. Army piece, however many found Southern hands when picked up from dead union soldiers.

    In today's climate, this father would be thrown in jail and his children stolen for foster homes. But back then, no one thought any harm was being done (we tended to play with his guns when he was at work).


    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •