• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WHY NOT AN OPEN CARRY RALLY? A BIG ONE THIS SUMMER?!

Takezo

imported post

Why not an open carry rally sometime this summer in Nevada or Arizona? Everyone shows up carrying openly....

I love the NRA, but if you come down to brass tacks--they're only playing a "defensive game" forestalling an enevitable total ban. Larry Pratt and the GOA is a bit more "in your face," but has either organizations gotten behind this movement?

My guess is no.

I just found this site off the LA Times. Yes I live in the People's Republik Of Kalifornia.

Let's look atrecent NRA poster I just saw... It shows a guy with a duck hunting gun slung over his shoulder in he country. Hey but this is not what the 2nd Amendemnt is about. You do not have a constitutional right to hunt and fish in this country. Hunting and fishing are liscenced activities, and can be "infringed, modied, regulated or banned by your governing authorities

Perhaps a better, more agressive stance is needed, like this sites?

I'd prefer to see an NRA poster of some guys holding AR's, and holding off a bunch of looters and rioters. Or armed men and women (who banded together in an "unorganized militia--Title 10, section 2), helping out in a Katrina like disaster.

Open Carry seems to be on the right track--it just has to be ramped up a notch. Rallies would be a good way to get more attention, an perhaps a way to get Wayne LaPierre out from his desk in that fancy building in DC.

Just some thoughts.... what do you think?

T

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

We are probably going to have to start smaller than a 'rally'. Also if you want to organize a meetup you should start a thread over in the Arizona and Nevada forums.
But really this requires leadership, planning, an agenda, etc. I'm all for it and encourage the idea highly, but it's one of those things thats easy to suggest but much harder to pull off.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Interestingidea....

Look at this NV law though.Probably doesn'tmean anything relevant thoughsince we wouldn't be "associated as a military company or organization."

NRS 412.604 Unlawful drill or parade with arms by voluntary organization without license; drill or parade by students with consent of Governor; penalty.

1. It is unlawful for any body of persons whatever, other than the Nevada National Guard and the troops of the United States, to associate themselves together as a military company or organization to drill or parade with arms in any city or town of this state, without the license of the Governor, which license may at any time be revoked.

2. Students in educational institutions where military science is a part of the course of instruction may, with the consent of the Governor, drill and parade with arms in public under the superintendence of their instructor.

3. Nothing contained in this section shall be construed so as to prevent members of benevolent or social organizations from wearing swords.

4. Any person violating any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(Added to NRS by 1967, 1340; A 1975, 800)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Just ask the governor for a license. Or don't do any military drills.:D
I would just start with a picnic or dinner first, before you start doing a big rally.

Takezo

imported post

Read Title 10 of US law... section 2.

This defines the "unorganized militia" which was refered to in the 2nd Amendment--it did not mean the National Guard as many donkeys believe today. The unorganized militia means everyone, excluding elected politicans, government employees (including police) and active duty military. An unorganized milita does not need the permission of any governing body to meet, or to rally for political speeches--or even to drill for emergency preparedness.

Title 10 superceeds Nevada law. The Nevada law was meant for "private militias" or security armies that were somtimes used in the old days to break strikes, or to put down whatever the backers wanted put down.

Anyways... we could meet at one end of the Las Vegas Strip (10 or 20 or 50 thousand strong--as individuals, not a militia) and merely walk the stip (on the sidewalks), at a slow pace and head downtown.

There we'd meet at a park for a big picnic--and there'd be games for the kids, and some speakers. Wouldn't it be nice is Glenn Beck or Michael Savage and perhaps Lou Dobbs--were out in front of all this. Hey, how about Wayne LaPeirre?!

A good time would be in the fall--cooler, and it's the off season for Nevada.

Or perhaps do this in Arizona, in Sherrif Joe Arpio's jurisdiction?!!! Better idea yet!

Surely Sherrif Joe would be walking out ahead of us--wouldn't that be nice.

I'm just saying, this article has received national attention, and you have to capitalize on it to make hay--or you're screwed.

like_the_roman

imported post

Article 2 Section 26 of the AZ Constitution:

The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

Could Gov. Napolitano use this clause to quash any large pro-RKBA meetings by executive order?

If so, then Nevada (or even New Mexico) might be a better state in which to organize this rally.

imperialism2024

imported post

A nice idea, but I'm of the opinion that it would be more counterproductive than anything. Our political goal in open carrying is generally to show the public that normal people carry guns while going about their normal daily business. A rally would seem to mostly send a message of intimidation rather than normalcy, which isn't what we're looking to do, overall.

Maybe a better option would be to have an open carry convention. Have guest speakers, invite holster and handgun manufacturers, and then citizens open carrying could go about their normal business in the city while open carrying.

ScottyT

imported post

I like the convention idea, but I think local meetings (dinners, shoots, picnics, community service) are more effective in getting the message out... at least for now. Once OCDO reaches 100,000 or 500,000 members we could talk about a rally...