Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderator question

Post imported post

I'm just catching up on OCDO after a few days away, and I have a question for the administrators.

1. When did LEO229 become a moderator?
    2. Is it proper for him to lock a thread, claiming contentious name-calling, in which he is one of the contentious debaters?

Yes, this is the Ryan Frederick thread, if anyone is keeping track.

Thanks for your feedback.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Hes been a mod for a few weeks now.
    Conflict of interest? Yes, no, maybe, though I was about to lock it myself.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    KBCraig wrote:
    I'm just catching up on OCDO after a few days away, and I have a question for the administrators.

2. Is it proper for him to lock a thread, claiming contentious name-calling, in which he is one of the contentious debaters?

I am a fairly new member here, but I lost some respect for LEO229 when he also locked a thread where we were very civilly discussing police benefits and salary. Most people weredisagreeing with what he was trying to preach. Once LEO229 found himself on the short end of the debate, he locked it. It's not so much a conflict of interest than it is an abuse of magical Internet powers. See....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/10418-14.html
    Must be a power play thing. Carries over from the job maybe.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    KBCraig wrote:

I am a fairly new member here, but I lost some respect for LEO229 when he also locked a thread where we were very civilly discussing police benefits and salary. Most people weredisagreeing with what he was trying to preach. Once LEO229 found himself on the short end of the debate, he locked it. It's not so much a conflict of interest than it is an abuse of magical Internet powers. See....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/10418-14.html
    Well it was OT and lockable but not good form if a mod was participating in the OT chatter. That said we mods aren't perfect, I've done some bonehead moves while on the job. I try not to do them twice, especially when it's pointed out to me.

Post imported post

Well I hope nobody gets too much heartburn over it. That thread and many others tend to get real iffy after page 10 or so, if not sooner. If it isn't a reporting thread or some really big event, its usually run its course and getting off topic.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Well I hope nobody gets too much heartburn over it. That thread and many others tend to get real iffy after page 10 or so, if not sooner. If it isn't a reporting thread or some really big event, its usually run its course and getting off topic.
    That thread is only the first example of many that are sure to follow which will contain billboard space showing why making CLEO a moderator was a serious mistake.

State Researcher

Post imported post

les_aker wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    That thread is only the first example of many that are sure to follow which will contain billboard space showing why making CLEO a moderator was a serious mistake.

Agreed.

Post imported post

I don't have a dog in the LEO fight, but have a general quetion.

I've only been posting on forums since December, and haven't seen threads get locked because they are going off topic.

What would the reason for this be? If folks are still chatting about something, is there a reason the conversation is not allowed to continue?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

The owner is concerned with the perceptions of unfriendly lurkers as OCDO being a haven for social disruptors and harch critics of law enforcement.

Post imported post

As I recall... the thread in question was locked and I explained why.

"And on that note..... This thread has gone off track and has been played out."

The thread was supposed to be about"Rights - Law professor speaks on exercising 5th amend rights"

But turned into a discussion about other stuff14 pages later.

• Police Pay
    • Nepotism
    • Teachers
    • DNA
    • Exonerated prisoners
    • Dissertation
    • You name it....
    I do not mind straying for a short spell but when the thread does no go back on topic and continues to be a thread about anything else... it is played out and should just be closed. I can tell when the thread is no longer of any value.

I have seen LW close threads for the same reason and that seems to be fine but not when I do it.I do notneed to closeit because I have "lost" and have nothing to fight back with. I stopped because it was the best interest for all. He even acknowledges "Well it was OT and lockable"

In regards to his following comment... "but not good form if a mod was participating in the OT chatter" I have seen all mods do this. There were 7 posts after mine and it simply was still headed off topic. I found myself responding to member posts about off topic items and decided enough was enough. It truly was played out.

I do not desire to go off topic but I too am only human. Every thread will sway and then get back to the original subject.

But as usual.... other members and moderators are allowed but if LEO does it.. OH MY!! For Shame!!

And the funny part is that the members that are complaining are the same that have never liked me here and have gone out of their way to bash me. Even Doug has taken the time to chime in too!! Like clockwork!

Unlike the other moderators here.... I do a lot morechatting on here so I have more opportunity to go off topic with so many members being involved. I do my best to not let that happen but I try to answer all questions andpoint out thingsthat need to be noted.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    The owner is concerned with the perceptions of unfriendly lurkers as OCDO being a haven for social disruptors and harch critics of law enforcement.
    Thanks, Doug.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    And police benefits and salary. At which time YOU joined right in debating the issues. Then YOU locked the thread after YOU felt you were outnumbered and were on the losing end of the debate, IMHO.

Don't join in a conversation...... and then lock it? Make sense?

I don't know these other guys condemning you, I am fairly new here. But I do agree with them -- based on what I have seen so far --that making you a moderator was not a wise choice perhaps.
    I actively participating in the thread since page one.

After 14 pages..... it was simply played out as it just went to far off track.

Post imported post

Sheriff....

Now you are hijacking this thread too with your numerous posts.

You have racked up 6 already out of the 18 total. That is 1/3 of the thread so far.

It would appear that you have an agenda to have me removed as a moderator. How about contacting John and tell him how you feel and he can ultimately decide.

You do not need any confirmations that you do not like what I do here unless you are looking for collaborators.

Even if I was not a moderator.. I am sure you would try to have me removed as a member too.

Sheriff... Pleasefind someone else to occupy your time. Your LEO 229obsession is really creepy. :?

Banned

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Sheriff... Pleasefind someone else to occupy your time. Your LEO 229obsession is really creepy.

And mine? It is not about you! Change your username and watch how the rhetoric changes, eases.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    In circumstances where law enforcement violates the rights of the citizens law enforcement is supposed to be protecting, law enforcement should be harshly criticized, ie the Tony's Pizza confrontation in Manassas. Bad law enforcement should expect the same treatment by the general population as bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad teachers, bad construction site safety inspectors, etc. The most certain way for law enforcement to avoid the perceptions that appear to be of so much concern to law enforcement would be for law enforcement to act in an appropriate and lawful manner during interactions with the citizens who employ them.

If no "social disruption" is our new standard, we've already retreated to the point where we should just stop open carrying anywhere someone might be "alarmed", where people feel "threatened" by anyone who has a gun, or where other customers might not like the idea. And let's not forget the ever present "anywhere there might be a lot of children". I joined this forum because it represented a group of people who exercised their rights and weren't afraid to confront situations where other people were trying to infringe on those rights. If law enforcement isn't part of the latter group, law enforcement has no reason to be concerned.

I seriously doubt that I've posted anything in this thread that many long time members of this forum believe but are reluctant to post.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

is sheriff REALLY a sheriff?
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    No. :?

First off.... You do not call yourself a "Sheriff..." you are a Deputy or Deputy Sheriff and according to his position on his "department" as he was never "The Sheriff" for his location.

He has also made many errors when posting LEO related stuff that are obvious. For someone that is supposed to have 20+ years on the job they are major mistakes. To the point that I have no doubt he is NOT and has never been in law enforcement.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    longwatch wrote:
    ....but not good form if a mod was participating in the OT chatter.
    Exactly my point. You catch on fast.

Then he has nerve enough to lock the thread.

les_aker wrote:

I'm not sure why he's a mod but someone should pull the plug on the OC.org police, abuse of power.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    ed wrote:
    No. :?

First off.... You do not call yourself a "Sheriff..." you are a Deputy or Deputy Sheriff and according to his position on his "department" as he was never "The Sheriff" for his location.

He has also made many errors when posting LEO related stuff that are obvious. For someone that is supposed to have 20+ years on the job they are major mistakes. To the point that I have no doubt he is NOT and has never been in law enforcement.
    OT Chatter.....

Banned

Post imported post

JeffersonDavis wrote:
    OT Chatter.....
    Gossip that can no more be verified than LEO status.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    les_aker wrote:
    longwatch wrote:

Agreed.
    +1000000000. I liked how he locked the thread "A black man not voting for Obama" saying it was OT and nothing to do with gun rights, when there was other threads like it that have been open for a while. It's bad enough we give people badges, guns and batons that aren't smart enough to do anything else we now have to deal with them here. There are police officer forums I'm sure were CLEO would be better off. Oh well, all good things come to an end I guess OCDO is now one of them. Think about this, he will lock threads on a wim but, if he pulled over one his fellow LEOs for DUI and endangering you or your kids lives he would give him ride home no charges filed. Thanks to all who made him a mod and alienating people for one person.

Post imported post

I'm kinda amazed at the true colors that are coming out. LEO229 made the right call in locking the thread, it was off topic and played out, end of story. Get over it. Seems to me there are some folks who just don't want to give the man a chance, just because they disagree with him. Guess what? He's doing the job John Pierce asked him to do. LEO229 is here to stay, and if he goes I go.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    I'm kinda amazed at the true colors that are coming out. LEO229 made the right call in locking the thread, it was off topic and played out, end of story. Get over it. Seems to me there are some folks who just don't want to give the man a chance, just because they disagree with him. Guess what? He's doing the job John Pierce asked him to do. LEO229 is here to stay, and if he goes I go.
    It's more like yours and John Pirece's true colors are showing. Remember your new mod thinks ALL gun sales should have a background check. Very Tin Kaine of him.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    and if he goes I go.
    Seems like such a small price to pay....

Post imported post

Thats the NRA position too, and I disagree with it. No one says we have to march in lockstep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast