• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moderator question

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sheriff... Pleasefind someone else to occupy your time. Your LEO 229obsession is really creepy.

And mine? It is not about you! Change your username and watch how the rhetoric changes, eases.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

les_aker

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The owner is concerned with the perceptions of unfriendly lurkers as OCDO being a haven for social disruptors and harch critics of law enforcement.

In circumstances where law enforcement violates the rights of the citizens law enforcement is supposed to be protecting, law enforcement should be harshly criticized, ie the Tony's Pizza confrontation in Manassas. Bad law enforcement should expect the same treatment by the general population as bad doctors, bad lawyers, bad teachers, bad construction site safety inspectors, etc. The most certain way for law enforcement to avoid the perceptions that appear to be of so much concern to law enforcement would be for law enforcement to act in an appropriate and lawful manner during interactions with the citizens who employ them.

If no "social disruption" is our new standard, we've already retreated to the point where we should just stop open carrying anywhere someone might be "alarmed", where people feel "threatened" by anyone who has a gun, or where other customers might not like the idea. And let's not forget the ever present "anywhere there might be a lot of children". I joined this forum because it represented a group of people who exercised their rights and weren't afraid to confront situations where other people were trying to infringe on those rights. If law enforcement isn't part of the latter group, law enforcement has no reason to be concerned.

I seriously doubt that I've posted anything in this thread that many long time members of this forum believe but are reluctant to post.

LEO 229

imported post

ed wrote:
is sheriff REALLY a sheriff?
No. :?

First off.... You do not call yourself a "Sheriff..." you are a Deputy or Deputy Sheriff and according to his position on his "department" as he was never "The Sheriff" for his location.

He has also made many errors when posting LEO related stuff that are obvious. For someone that is supposed to have 20+ years on the job they are major mistakes. To the point that I have no doubt he is NOT and has never been in law enforcement.

JeffersonDavis

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
longwatch wrote:
....but not good form if a mod was participating in the OT chatter.
Exactly my point. You catch on fast.

Then he has nerve enough to lock the thread.

les_aker wrote:

That thread is only the first example of many that are sure to follow which will contain billboard space showing why making CLEO a moderator was a serious mistake.

I'm not sure why he's a mod but someone should pull the plug on the OC.org police, abuse of power.

JeffersonDavis

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
ed wrote:
is sheriff REALLY a sheriff?
No. :?

First off.... You do not call yourself a "Sheriff..." you are a Deputy or Deputy Sheriff and according to his position on his "department" as he was never "The Sheriff" for his location.

He has also made many errors when posting LEO related stuff that are obvious. For someone that is supposed to have 20+ years on the job they are major mistakes. To the point that I have no doubt he is NOT and has never been in law enforcement.
OT Chatter.....

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

DreQo wrote:
les_aker wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Well I hope nobody gets too much heartburn over it. That thread and many others tend to get real iffy after page 10 or so, if not sooner. If it isn't a reporting thread or some really big event, its usually run its course and getting off topic.

That thread is only the first example of many that are sure to follow which will contain billboard space showing why making CLEO a moderator was a serious mistake.
Agreed.
+1000000000. I liked how he locked the thread "A black man not voting for Obama" saying it was OT and nothing to do with gun rights, when there was other threads like it that have been open for a while. It's bad enough we give people badges, guns and batons that aren't smart enough to do anything else we now have to deal with them here. There are police officer forums I'm sure were CLEO would be better off. Oh well, all good things come to an end I guess OCDO is now one of them. Think about this, he will lock threads on a wim but, if he pulled over one his fellow LEOs for DUI and endangering you or your kids lives he would give him ride home no charges filed. Thanks to all who made him a mod and alienating people for one person.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'm kinda amazed at the true colors that are coming out. LEO229 made the right call in locking the thread, it was off topic and played out, end of story. Get over it. Seems to me there are some folks who just don't want to give the man a chance, just because they disagree with him. Guess what? He's doing the job John Pierce asked him to do. LEO229 is here to stay, and if he goes I go.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I'm kinda amazed at the true colors that are coming out. LEO229 made the right call in locking the thread, it was off topic and played out, end of story. Get over it. Seems to me there are some folks who just don't want to give the man a chance, just because they disagree with him. Guess what? He's doing the job John Pierce asked him to do. LEO229 is here to stay, and if he goes I go.
It's more like yours and John Pirece's true colors are showing. Remember your new mod thinks ALL gun sales should have a background check. Very Tin Kaine of him.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Thats the NRA position too, and I disagree with it. No one says we have to march in lockstep.

LEO 229

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
longwatch wrote:
It's more like yours and John Pirece's true colors are showing. Remember your new mod thinks ALL gun sales should have a background check. Very Tin Kaine of him.
I have my own opinions such as private sale checks. I also like that people can get CC permits easier now too. I also think that people should arm themselves so they can fight off criminals.

If you like... I can flip on my opinion about sales but must do so on the other two as well.... What would you have me do?

I am not a lemming and will have opinions that will not match yours. We are both entitled to believe in what we want.

Believing in something differently than you has no bearing as a moderator.

Edit: I do not care for Subaru automobiles but I eat lunch and hang out with a guy on this very board that has one. No big deal to me. Our opinions on cars are not the same yet we are friends anyway.

Edit: I have been a valuable source of information here and many members have told me they appreciate me being here. I am here as a person with knowledge. I talk to cops all day so why would I want to go to the officer boards?

les_aker

imported post

longwatch wrote:
When I was a kid growing up in the coal camps of southern WV, I learned many things playing in my grandmother's kitchen. It was many years later before I realized just how many lessons she taught all of her grandchildren while she was babysitting us. One of them was to never make an ultimatum that I wasn't afraid to lose.

longwatch wrote:
Thats the NRA position too, and I disagree with it. No one says we have to march in lockstep.
Apparently we do have to march in lockstep concerning some topics.

Sheriff

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Thanks to all who made him a mod and alienating people for one person.

I am beginning to agree.And I don't even know all the actors here yet.

And Ed.... I was a sworn deputy sheriff in Virginia for almost three decades whether LEO229 likes it or not. I have adoped the user name of "SHERIFF" in almost every Internet forum I have ever posted in.It's also been on my license plate for the last 25 years. DMV wouldn't issue 13 letters so I could have "DEPUTY SHERIFF". :)

(Now that I have posted this personal information, I will have to have the VSP do a query in a few monthsto see how many people ran my license plate just to see who I am. :lol:, which is illegal of course. Teletype is suppose to be used for official business only.)

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Back to the original subject. It seems to me Leo229 has been quite busy locking threads with at least six in the last few days. On a couple of occasions I thought rightfully so but on others I felt he was exercising his authority unnecessarily. He is a new moderator and I believe deserves time to settle into the position.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I have been a valuable source of information here and many members have told me they appreciate me being here. I am here as a person with knowledge.

Want some free advice? After you break your arm reaching around and patting yourself on the back, report to work.

This way you can claim it was an on-duty injury. :)

tattedupboy

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
And police benefits and salary. At which time YOU joined right in debating the issues. Then YOU locked the thread after YOU felt you were outnumbered and were on the losing end of the debate, IMHO.

Don't join in a conversation...... and then lock it? Make sense?

I don't know these other guys condemning you, I am fairly new here. But I do agree with them -- based on what I have seen so far --that making you a moderator was not a wise choice perhaps.
I actively participating in the thread since page one.

After 14 pages..... it was simply played out as it just went to far off track.
Just wondering if you would have felt that way if the other posters on that thread had agreed with you. If things were going your way, I seriously doubt that you would have just abruptly locked it. Just human nature, that's all.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just to start, I have always appreciated having the perspective of LEO on this board. I disagree with it quite often, but a different perspective is always good to have.

I consider myself to be a relatively new member here so maybe I do not have the perspective of others, but it does seem that before LEO became a mod off topic threads were more or less tolerated. I enjoyed the free flow of the forums here as it allowed a natural conversation to take place. It is impossible to separate the issue of gun rights from the issues of modern day politics, so off topic political threads get started. Now I have no idea if LEO was made a mod and then happened to start closing OT threads, or if he was made a mod because the owners saw OT threads as a problem that needed to be addressed. If the latter is true, then I think it would have been a nice gesture if the admins had let us know that they see this as a problem so that we can be more cooperative. (if this already happened, forgive my inability to keep up with the many discussions here)

I have asked many times, and will ask again because this seems the most appropriate discussion to post it in. Can we have an off-topic forum? Possibly two, one for general politics, and one as a lounge area? Open carrying is not the only reason I visit this forum, I visit it because it is a group of like minded individuals who value freedom and are able to articulate their values better than most. I consider their opinions on politics and general current issue to be worth reading. I have learned quite a bit from this forum about a wide range of topics, not just open carry. We have a board for selecting a handgun because you cannot discuss carrying a handgun with discussing what handgun you are carrying. I believe similarly that you cannot discuss issues relating to the second amendment independent of other political issues.

That is just my $.02, if I am out of line than I suppose I will need to reform and use this forum only for discussing open carrying and I will search for a more broad 2nd amendment forum to discuss other issues. But finding another forum with the same level of educated and well articulated discussions that can be found here will be difficult.

Sheriff

imported post

irfner wrote:
.....I felt he was exercising his authority unnecessarily. He is a new moderator and I believe deserves time to settle into the position.
This is exactly what I told him above. Not to let his newfound ability to micro-moderate the forums turn him into a monster. It's way too easy to diss off a bunch of people, but damn hard to ever regain their trust back. I once had to can a moderator in a major Ford forum.