• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moderator question

KBCraig

imported post

I'm just catching up on OCDO after a few days away, and I have a question for the administrators.

1. When did LEO229 become a moderator?
2. Is it proper for him to lock a thread, claiming contentious name-calling, in which he is one of the contentious debaters?

Yes, this is the Ryan Frederick thread, if anyone is keeping track.

Thanks for your feedback.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Hes been a mod for a few weeks now.
Conflict of interest? Yes, no, maybe, though I was about to lock it myself.

Sheriff

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
I'm just catching up on OCDO after a few days away, and I have a question for the administrators.

2. Is it proper for him to lock a thread, claiming contentious name-calling, in which he is one of the contentious debaters?

I am a fairly new member here, but I lost some respect for LEO229 when he also locked a thread where we were very civilly discussing police benefits and salary. Most people weredisagreeing with what he was trying to preach. Once LEO229 found himself on the short end of the debate, he locked it. It's not so much a conflict of interest than it is an abuse of magical Internet powers. :) See....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/10418-14.html

RU98A

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

I am a fairly new member here, but I lost some respect for LEO229 when he also locked a thread where we were very civilly discussing police benefits and salary. Most people weredisagreeing with what he was trying to preach. Once LEO229 found himself on the short end of the debate, he locked it. It's not so much a conflict of interest than it is an abuse of magical Internet powers. :) See....

Must be a power play thing. Carries over from the job maybe.:)

longwatch

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

Well it was OT and lockable but not good form if a mod was participating in the OT chatter. That said we mods aren't perfect, I've done some bonehead moves while on the job. I try not to do them twice, especially when it's pointed out to me.

Sheriff

imported post

longwatch wrote:
....but not good form if a mod was participating in the OT chatter.
Exactly my point. You catch on fast.

Then he has nerve enough to lock the thread.

longwatch

imported post

Well I hope nobody gets too much heartburn over it. That thread and many others tend to get real iffy after page 10 or so, if not sooner. If it isn't a reporting thread or some really big event, its usually run its course and getting off topic.

les_aker

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Well I hope nobody gets too much heartburn over it. That thread and many others tend to get real iffy after page 10 or so, if not sooner. If it isn't a reporting thread or some really big event, its usually run its course and getting off topic.

That thread is only the first example of many that are sure to follow which will contain billboard space showing why making CLEO a moderator was a serious mistake.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

les_aker wrote:
longwatch wrote:

That thread is only the first example of many that are sure to follow which will contain billboard space showing why making CLEO a moderator was a serious mistake.
Agreed.

Glock27Bill

imported post

I don't have a dog in the LEO fight, but have a general quetion.

I've only been posting on forums since December, and haven't seen threads get locked because they are going off topic.

What would the reason for this be? If folks are still chatting about something, is there a reason the conversation is not allowed to continue?

LEO 229

imported post

As I recall... the thread in question was locked and I explained why.

"And on that note..... This thread has gone off track and has been played out."

The thread was supposed to be about"Rights - Law professor speaks on exercising 5th amend rights"

But turned into a discussion about other stuff14 pages later.

• Police Pay
  • Nepotism
  • Teachers
  • DNA
  • Exonerated prisoners
  • Dissertation
  • You name it....
I do not mind straying for a short spell but when the thread does no go back on topic and continues to be a thread about anything else... it is played out and should just be closed. I can tell when the thread is no longer of any value.

I have seen LW close threads for the same reason and that seems to be fine but not when I do it.I do notneed to closeit because I have "lost" and have nothing to fight back with. I stopped because it was the best interest for all. He even acknowledges "Well it was OT and lockable"

In regards to his following comment... "but not good form if a mod was participating in the OT chatter" I have seen all mods do this. There were 7 posts after mine and it simply was still headed off topic. I found myself responding to member posts about off topic items and decided enough was enough. It truly was played out.

I do not desire to go off topic but I too am only human. Every thread will sway and then get back to the original subject.

But as usual.... other members and moderators are allowed but if LEO does it.. OH MY!! For Shame!! :lol:

And the funny part is that the members that are complaining are the same that have never liked me here and have gone out of their way to bash me. Even Doug has taken the time to chime in too!! Like clockwork!

Unlike the other moderators here.... I do a lot morechatting on here so I have more opportunity to go off topic with so many members being involved. I do my best to not let that happen but I try to answer all questions andpoint out thingsthat need to be noted.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
As I recall... the thread in question was locked and I explained why.

"And on that note..... This thread has gone off track and has been played out."

The thread was supposed to be about"Rights - Law professor speaks on exercising 5th amend rights"

But turned into a discussion about other stuff14 pages later.

• Police Pay
  • Nepotism
  • Teachers
  • DNA
  • Exonerated prisoners
  • Dissertation
  • You name it....
And police benefits and salary. At which time YOU joined right in debating the issues. Then YOU locked the thread after YOU felt you were outnumbered and were on the losing end of the debate, IMHO.

Don't join in a conversation...... and then lock it? Make sense?

I don't know these other guys condemning you, I am fairly new here. But I do agree with them -- based on what I have seen so far --that making you a moderator was not a wise choice perhaps.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
But as usual.... other members and moderators are allowed but if LEO does it.. OH MY!! For Shame!! :lol:
ps - stop being so paranoid. :shock:

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
And police benefits and salary. At which time YOU joined right in debating the issues. Then YOU locked the thread after YOU felt you were outnumbered and were on the losing end of the debate, IMHO.

Don't join in a conversation...... and then lock it? Make sense?

I don't know these other guys condemning you, I am fairly new here. But I do agree with them -- based on what I have seen so far --that making you a moderator was not a wise choice perhaps.
I actively participating in the thread since page one.

After 14 pages..... it was simply played out as it just went to far off track.

Sheriff

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Well I hope nobody gets too much heartburn over it.

What usually happens is half the membership breaks off and forms their own discussion forums when micro-moderation takes over ad starts dissing numerous people. Wasn't too long ago MercuryMarauder.net wassplit into two groups by a new form of micro-moderation and a new forum was started ( motorcitymarauders.com ).

This obviously accomplishes nothing in the long run. Do you want to see an opencarry.com and an opencarry.net ?

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I actively participating in the thread since page one.

After 14 pages..... it was simply played out as it just went to far off track.
Even more reason to not lock the thread. Locking the thread came shortly after somebody told you that YOU were plain talking crazy in reference to police salary and benefits.

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff....

Now you are hijacking this thread too with your numerous posts.

You have racked up 6 already out of the 18 total. That is 1/3 of the thread so far.

It would appear that you have an agenda to have me removed as a moderator. How about contacting John and tell him how you feel and he can ultimately decide.

You do not need any confirmations that you do not like what I do here unless you are looking for collaborators. :lol:

Even if I was not a moderator.. I am sure you would try to have me removed as a member too.

Sheriff... Pleasefind someone else to occupy your time. Your LEO 229obsession is really creepy. :?

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sheriff....

Now you are hijacking this thread too with your numerous posts.

You have racked up 6 already out of the 18 total. That is 1/3 of the thread so far.

It would appear that you have an agenda to have me removed as a moderator. How about contacting John and tell him how you feel and he can ultimately decide.

You do not need any confirmations that you do not like what I do here unless you are looking for collaborators. :lol:

Even if I was not a moderator.. I am sure you would try to have me removed as a member too.

Sheriff... Pleasefind someone else to occupy your time. Your LEO 229obsession is really creepy. :?

Seriously, stop being so paranoid. I have no idea who John is, or how to contact him. And even if I did, I have no plans on contacting him. Nor do I have any plans to contactany other member in some sort of conspiracy against you.

I have simply come to observe what I consider to be your being on an abusive "power trip". Don't letyour ability to micro-manage these forums turn you into a monster. OK?

Yeah, yeah, I have 7 replies in this thread now. I had to answer you. :)