• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moderator question

Sheriff

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Just wondering if you would have felt that way if the other posters on that thread had agreed with you. If things were going your way, I seriously doubt that you would have just abruptly locked it. Just human nature, that's all.
BINGO! We have a winner! :celebrate

mobeewan

imported post

So, the police are now policing the board.

Might as well see if Fairfax or Manassass PD have some officers who would like to do some special duty too. That way they could get back atsome of the "Tards", "F#$%ing Tards"and "Ass-clowns" that made them look bad.

Sheriff

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Remember your new mod thinks ALL gun sales should have a background check. Very Tin Kaine of him.

WOW!!! I wasn't aware of this. SHAME ON HIM!

I think you might be surprised to know the true feelings most cops have about citizen gun rights. If most of them were to make their feelings known and were able to successfully lobby for and have laws passed, there would be NO concealed carry or open carry in the USA.

When's the first time or last time you have ever seen a cop on any of these reality based police shows on TV notice a gun in somebody's car and strike up a "friendly" conversation with them about weapons and the right o carry? Usually they back up, draw their weapon, and shout out, "Partner, he has a gun!!"

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

mobeewan wrote:

Might as well see if Fairfax or Manassass PD have some officers who would like to do some special duty too. That way they could get back atsome of the "Tards", "F#$%ing Tards"and "Ass-clowns" that made them look bad.
As one of the few people who can make an informed judgement as to similiarity between the Manassas police and LEO229, I can say you are way off base with that one.

Sheriff

imported post

mobeewan wrote:

And Alexandria too please! :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Just wondering if you would have felt that way if the other posters on that thread had agreed with you. If things were going your way, I seriously doubt that you would have just abruptly locked it. Just human nature, that's all.
Actually... I am guilty of letting my posts get off topic. I am new to the mod position and have to learn to fight going off topic.

You will notice that I believe 7 posts occurred after my last and it was when I returnedthat I realized the whole thing had just gone wayoff topic.

I apologise for not staying on topic but things happen. And it was closed for the very reason I posted.

Edit: Clarification

Sheriff

imported post

longwatch wrote:
As one of the few people who can make an informed judgement as to similiarity between the Manassas police and LEO229, I can say you are way off base with that one.
As one who can make an informed judgement about police reputation, I can honestly say that very few departments in Northern Virginia and Maryland have a very good reputation overall. My gosh, have you see the shenanigans going on in just the Baltimore, Maryland police department lately?

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Actually... I am guilty of letting threads get off topic. I am new to the mod position and have to learn to fight going off topic.

Guilty of letting them go off topic? You still don't get it, do you?

You participated in them going off topic. YOU started the discussion of police

salaries and benefits YOURSELF... at Posted: Fri May 30th, 2008 01:05 pm.

Then YOU locked the thread when people disagreed with YOU! :cuss:

tattedupboy

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Remember your new mod thinks ALL gun sales should have a background check. Very Tin Kaine of him.

WOW!!! I wasn't aware of this. SHAME ON HIM!

I think you might be surprised to know the true feelings most cops have about citizen gun rights. If most of them were to make their feelings known and were able to successfully lobby for and have laws passed, there would be NO concealed carry or open carry in the USA.

When's the first time or last time you have ever seen a cop on any of these reality based police shows on TV notice a gun in somebody's car and strike up a "friendly" conversation with them about weapons and the right o carry? Usually they back up, draw their weapon, and shout out, "Partner, he has a gun!!"
Exactly! Remember back when the Ohio CCW law was passed how the Ohio State Highway Patrol lobbied intensely for some of the more riduculous provisions of the law, including no concealed carry in vehicles, and locking handguns not carried on the person in the glovebox or a lockable container in plain sight? Even after the preemption law was passed over Governor Bob Taft's veto, people still aren't allowed to put guns underneath the seat, or in an unlocked glovebox or console. That is because law enforcement wanted this.

Sheriff

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Exactly! Remember back when the Ohio CCW law was passed how the Ohio State Highway Patrol lobbied intensely for some of the more riduculous provisions of the law, including no concealed carry in vehicles, and locking handguns not carried on the person in the glovebox or a lockable container in plain sight? Even after the preemption law was passed over Governor Bob Taft's veto, people still aren't allowed to put guns underneath the seat, or in an unlocked glovebox or console. That is because law enforcement wanted this.

I have never been around or worked for any law enforcement agency that feels a person's right to carry open or concealed should exist.

Departments nationwide often hold "Gun Buy" days. Bring in any handgun or rifle and we will pay you $200.00 for it, no questions asked. Does this sound like law enforcement agencies that want the people to own firearms of any type or description?

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:

Then YOU locked the thread when people disagreed with YOU!
What is your real intent here? You really do have a way of being negative all the time.... Cyber Stalker!!

I freely admit... I have gone off topic many times and who here has not. Even you have hijacked threads and gone off topic yourself. You are starting tohijack this one now. We all try to stay on topic but chat can take some odd directions.

Sheriff wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:

I have never been around or worked for any law enforcement agency that feels a person's right to carry open or concealed should exist.

Departments nationwide often hold "Gun Buy" days. Bring in any handgun or rifle and we will pay you $200.00 for it, no questions asked. Does this sound like law enforcement agencies that want the people to own firearms of any type or description?
Youhave just gone off topic now and you criticized me for doing it as if it was some egregious violation.

This is certainly gun related but does not fit the current thread.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
You should let me know when these are so I can stock up on hi-point 380ACPs. Easiest $70 I've ever heard of.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sheriff wrote:

Then YOU locked the thread when people disagreed with YOU!

What is your real intent here? You really do have a way of being negative all the time.... Cyber Stalker!!

I freely admit... I have gone off topic many times and who here has not. Even you have hijacked threads and gone off topic yourself. You are starting tohijack this one now. We all try to stay on topic but chat can take some odd directions.

Oh my God! The stalking word now, huh? :lol:

Why do you keep pointing your finger at me? And only me? Seems like other folks are voicing their concerns about you now too. Are they Cyber Stalking you too?

Try being a moderator rather than a micro-moderator. I think you will get further.

By the way, has Fairfax ever done a "gun buy" day recently? What type of message do you think this sends people concerning their right to own, carry and possess firearms?

Sheriff

imported post

asforme wrote:
You should let me know when these are so I can stock up on hi-point 380ACPs. Easiest $70 I've ever heard of.
Will do. How far are you willing to travel? :)

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
ed wrote:
is sheriff REALLY a sheriff?
No. :?

First off.... You do not call yourself a "Sheriff..." you are a Deputy or Deputy Sheriff

Well, not to nitpick, but "Sheriff" is a perfectly acceptable term to use when addressing a Deputy Sheriff, since a Deputy is acting in the place of the Sheriff.

I knew many an attorney or older citizen that addressed me as "Sheriff".

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd say it would be best to save the torches and pitchforks for later. LEO229 brings his ownperspective to the forum, as do I, as does longwatch, as do all of us. He is the newest moderator and as such is still learning.All new moderators are often quick on the "lock", I was and so was longwatch.

I myself sometimes get caught up in the thread and even throw it off topic at times (usually on a humorous note). I'm not just a moderator, I'm also a member and was a member first. As such I DO have things I throw out there, DO have my more passionate moments and equally so I DO have my stupid moments, just like anyone else.

Not taking any sides here, but if you think a thread was locked too fast or have concerns, PM any or all of us and just ask that it be reopened! Simple!

Now somebody go off topic so I can lock this thread! lol....

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I saw a bug today on a plant...

And there we go... ;)

Remember folks, if you think a thread was unjustly closed, they CAN be reopened by any moderator. You just kave to ask.

As for this thread, let's all keep the criticism constructive, stop bashing and insulting, perhaps help him. Let's move on...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK gentlemen, now that the thread has cooledoff enough to touch, please think before posting. Disagree passionately by all means! But please be polite to one another.

Thread reopened. Have a great 2A day.

Gunslinger

imported post

I'll put my 2 cents in.

I disagree with LEO on a lot of things, well probably most things, and he needs to get over his proclivity to become defensive out of the chocks. But, he has a right to his opinion, just like I have. He was asked to take the well paid job of Moderator, and did. In this, he has to exercise his opinion of if/when a thread should be locked. It seems to me, he's been a bit too quick on thetrigger, pun intended. However, I won't castigate him for that but rather suggest he begin to err on the side of let it go a while further, if a close call. In the discussion (general) section we need a lot more latitude on topics/posts than any othersection. As long as the discussion is lively, not personality centered--as thisone was veering to, and of general interest--and the number of posters certainly would be the prime indicator of that, let it alone. It will play out eventually, and what's the harm? I think it makes for a more entertaining forum and that's what draws the members and pays the bills.

In re attacking the fuzz: showing the bad apples isn't attacking the good ones. And exposing the ignorance a large percentage seem to exhibit with respect to OC serves the purpose of this forum. That's not cop bashing. That LEO has said he doesn't think I have a law degree or Sheriff was a Deputy, or whatever,is something I find amusing--and shows his quick jump to defensive counterpunch when he's losing the argument. He needs to get over that. He brings good knowledge to the forum--like what doughnuts are best when sitting and running a speedtrap...:lol:, so I'm willing to cut him some slack. If it gets nasty, has nothing to do with guns, 2A, OC/CC or the law with respect to these areas, shut it down. Otherwise, let it alone.

Thanx to Bob for reopening and giving others a chance to put in their opinions.