• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorder

fryfrye

imported post

Ok, I read in a lot of threads about the use of a voice recorder. I am assuming that its legal in Virginia to record without consent? I am thinking about getting a voice recorder... wondering a few things:

1) Where do most you you carry it?
a) When walking about.
b) When driving

2) Any suggestions on models?

Glock27Bill

imported post

Recording is legal in Virginia as long as one of the recorded parties knows that the conversation is being recorded...read this as No Wiretapping or Bugging Someone's Home.

I have an Olympus I got at Best Buy, the digital recorders have software that you can use to download the recording to a PC via USB as a wav file.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1272

I carry mine in my shirt pocket, I've seen others buy models that come with a belt holster.

When I first got mine, I took it to a restaurant in my shirt pocket and just recorded for an hour while I ate. I was amazed at the conversations that it clearly picked up.

That experience tells me that recording from a belt holster would work fine.

Sheriff

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I carry mine in my shirt pocket....

Smart man! You may only need it one time in 30 years.

But that one time will be worth it's weight in gold. :D

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
I carry mine in my shirt pocket

I usually do too. Sometims if I KNOW I am going to have a close conversation.. (like with the gov of Virginia) I will use the mini mic inside my shirt and just under my neckline.(ebay)

minimic.jpg

I have (in order of preference)

Panasonic

Sony

Olympus

I like them in this order mostly because of the software that comes with them. If the night was uneventful I erase and never pay any attention to it.

Two samples from Tim Kaine and I.

Public question...http://www.flyboyed.com/gq/1.wav

Face to Face with Tim in a VERY noisy environment http://www.flyboyed.com/gq/2.wav

mobeewan

imported post

I too have an Olympus. I normaly carry mine on a shelf I installed over the visor in my truck. If stopped all I have to do is grab it, turn it on and put it in my shirt pocket. If I go somewhere I think I might need it Iput it in my shirt pocket. Worked pretty good in the pocket when I attended the Norfolk city council meeting where Syzmecki complained about the incident which has kicked off his lawsuit. I recorded it so some friends could listen.

Mainsail

imported post

ICD P520

This Sony is the one I use. I chose it over the Olympus because it has a provision for a lanyard that the Olympus did not appear to have (I couldn’t tell by looking through the packaging). I am using the lanyard from a small flashlight that has two sliders on it to adjust its length. I can wear it around my neck and adjust it so the recorder sits high on my chest. Although it picks up a lot of shirt rustling noises, it records conversation just fine.

In summer when I'm not wearing a sweatshirt to hide it under, I canjust plug in some white ear buds to the earphone jack and it looks like an MP3 player. It can accommodate an external stereo microphone as well.

·PC Compatible via USB: Quickly and easily transfer your audio files to a computer for further processing or archiving.
·256MB Built-in Flash Memory : Available on the integrated circuit chip, which may be recorded over and used again with distortion-free clarity.
·Over 130 Hours of Recording Time in LP Mode: LP Mode gives you plenty of time to record everything you need.
·3 Recording Modes: Choose the quality of recording depending on how much time you need. Long Play(LP) 150h 15m, Standard Play(SP) 81h 15m and High Quality(HQ) 30h 25m.
·4 Message Folders: Keep your voice files organized. The 4 message folders can be used for different applications, such as business memos, correspondence, personal reminders, and more.
·Large LCD Display: Easily shows the number of messages recorded, recording length, date, time, and battery power remaining.
·Single Function Buttons on the Front Make the Unit Easier to Use: Easily access any of the functions on the Digital voice recorder using the ergonomic buttons that make controlling the unit easier.
·Digital VOR (Voice Operated Recording): Save valuable recording time. VOR stops the recording during silent pauses then begins recording again without missing a single syllable thanks to the Digital Buffer.
·Add Recording: Insert and add additional information to any message without affecting the original.
·Selectable Microphone Sensitivity (Hi/Lo): Record different situations, from group meetings to individuals, more effectively.
·Date and Time Stamp: let's you see the day and time you recorded your message on.

32414687-2-200-0.gif

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use, and love, an Olympus WS-110. Records to standard .wav files, connects as a standard USB mass storage device so can be read on any OS that can talk to a flash drive...

FreeRoy

imported post

fryfrye wrote:
Ok, I read in a lot of threads about the use of a voice recorder. I am assuming that its legal in Virginia to record without consent?
Yes, as long as you're a party to the conversation. You can't record someone ELSE's conversation, but you can record anything at which you are present.
See <http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-62>:
§ 19.2-62. Interception, disclosure, etc., of wire, electronic or oral communications unlawful; penalties; exceptions.
[SNIP]
Section B. 2. It shall not be a criminal offense under this chapter for a person to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication, where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

My favorite delivery man dropped of my new Olympus VN-4100PC today. I've downloaded the wave files to my PC and I'm waiting for the bow tie mic to arrive - it's for dress occasions.:)

I'll let you know after the week-end how I like it. My initial testing was extremely promising. It looks like it will drop right into a small generic knife case.

BTW - It only ran $39.95 - refurbished w/full warrantee + $2.95 shipping!
http://www.overstock.com/

Yata hey

C

ccloud43

imported post

I use a voice recording watch. Here is the Link

Watch

The only drawback I dont like so much is you have to press 2 buttons at least twice each. But it will record several hours of voice and the quality is really good.

I have practiced with it several times and I feel i have it down enough that I can get it started without anyone noticing, and almost everyone wears a watch so it just blends in.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ccloud43 wrote:

Watch

The only drawback I dont like so much is you have to press 2 buttons at least twice each. But it will record several hours of voice and the quality is really good.

I have practiced with it several times and I feel i have it down enough that I can get it started without anyone noticing, and almost everyone wears a watch so it just blends in.
Shades of Dick Tracy this is too cool.

Can you download reording to PC though?

Yata hey

C

ccloud43

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
ccloud43 wrote:

Watch

Shades of Dick Tracy this is too cool.

Can you download reording to PC though?

Yata hey
Yeah it comes with a USB cable/adapter to download .wav files to computerand charge phone. It also keeps great time.

Sheriff

imported post

I can think of apretty serious problem with the watch. In the event of a false arrest, when you most want a recording obviously, you're going to be handcuffed in the back. This places the watch behind you where it may or may not record well. Especially after you're thrown in the back seat of a cop car. Because of this I think I still prefer a small recorder in the front shirt pocket. Yeah, I know, people say the pocket recorder will mysteriously disappear once the cops discover it while searching you. That's just a chance you have to take.

C

ccloud43

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I can think of apretty serious problem with the watch. In the event of a false arrest, when you most want a recording obviously, you're going to be handcuffed in the back. This places the watch behind you where it may or may not record well. Especially after you're thrown in the back seat of a cop car. Because of this I think I still prefer a small recorder in the front shirt pocket. Yeah, I know, people say the pocket recorder will mysteriously disappear once the cops discover it while searching you. That's just a chance you have to take.

I didnt think about this before hand, but I believe that if I can sit kinda sideways with my right shoulder towards the seat, which should put the watch which is on my left wrist in a little better position to record. I will try it tomorrow in my back seat and see what happens.

Thanks for bringing this up. I never thought about it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There is no perfect recorder for each and everyone of us.

Like the 1st rule of a gunfight suggests (have a gun) maybe the first rule of an unavoidable confrontation should be: Have a recorder. The best that you personally chose according to your criterea, but have a recorder!

Yata hey