• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Frustrating Situation

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I probably wouldn't have unholstered, but I would have unsnapped the thumb strap and walked with my hand on the gun. If the gun isn't in my hand I certainly don't want it ending up in anybody else's.

LordJim

imported post

In addition to the other mistakes you made there's one more that I haven't seen mentioned. You played your hand - now these thugs know one more address where they can get their hands on, at minimum, a shotgun (I assume that you carry your pistol with you 24x7), and who knows what else. Seriously, you're not going to stay home 24x7 to guard your stuff, are you? What are you going to do when they come in force to get your pistol, too?

Really, I think you played your hand too early. You took a dangerous situation and could have escalated it to a deadly one. It wasn't a potentially deadly situation FOR YOU until you made it one. Did you think that you were the only one there with a gun? They had you outnumbered by a LOT. No matter how good of a shot you think you are, you can't defend yourself against multiple assailants like this and expect to come out on top.

As it's already been suggested, you could have, really you SHOULD have, driven around or out of the complex and called the cops and then had nothing to worry about. That's what I would have done. I'm glad it worked out for you, though - now, don't do it again.

Consider this whole experience a withdrawl from your bucket of luck and a deposit into your bucket of experience.

-
Jim

LordJim

imported post

asforme wrote:
I probably wouldn't have unholstered, but I would have unsnapped the thumb strap and walked with my hand on the gun. If the gun isn't in my hand I certainly don't want it ending up in anybody else's.
I hadn't even considered this . . . an unholstered weapon walking through a crowd? Would have been pretty easy, I think, to get that weapon away from the OP. At least in a retention holster it's going to be reasonably difficult to get it away from its owner.

-
Jim

compmanio365

imported post

In addition to the other mistakes you made there's one more that I haven't seen mentioned. You played your hand - now these thugs know one more address where they can get their hands on, at minimum, a shotgun (I assume that you carry your pistol with you 24x7), and who knows what else. Seriously, you're not going to stay home 24x7 to guard your stuff, are you? What are you going to do when they come in force to get your pistol, too?
Honestly, I hadn't thought of that point.......that is maybe the one point that would give me pause about how this was played out. But if you are OCing, you are taking that risk anyways.......most of the time, especially if those people know you know where they live, aren't going to want to get in a firefight with you.........possible though.

The rest.........I for one would never wait on the cops in that situation.........

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LordJim wrote:
asforme wrote:
I hadn't even considered this . . . an unholstered weapon walking through a crowd? Would have been pretty easy, I think, to get that weapon away from the OP. At least in a retention holster it's going to be reasonably difficult to get it away from its owner.

-
Jim
The point I was making was actually opposite. I think it's going to be alot easier to get a gun out of a holster where someone has to take the time to react and protect the firearm, than it would be if they tried to snatch it out of my hand. I'd go for the compromise and keep my hand on it protecting it, and ready to draw if necessary, but leave it in the holster.

protector84

imported post

As long as my post was (and this one is worse), I'm sure there were some details left out. First when I was pulling in the parking lot, I saw quite a number of individuals in the parking lot which was unusual at this hour but for the few seconds it took for me to go from where I first saw a crowd to pulling into the parking spot things changed quickly. Everybody knows that when people are fighting they rarely stay in the same spot and things happen quite quickly. Large numbers of people can immediately move sizable distances in short amounts of time. My guard already went up a little bit when I saw a higher than usual amount of people standing and moving around but from where I was seated in the car, I saw no violence. This was again as I was approaching my parking space and before I actually pulled into the space itself. I am a quick thinker and good at assessing situations but nobody is perfect. The only type of possible emergency that entered my mind that could have been the case as I was pulling around the corner to my spot was that there either was a fire which would explain the people being out there due to an evacuation or a medical emergency where people were trying to help someone while emergency crews were on the way. There were no signs of violence from where I could see originally. Therefore, my assessment of the situation demonstrated that it would have likely been safe to pull into the parking spot as a fire or medical problem would not be endangering my safety if people were there in that location.

Second, the buildings are angled in a bit of a funny way which led to a major disadvantage in this situation. Immediately where I make a right turn to pull into the parking spot is a large wall preceding that space blocking my viewof a huge area. An additional point to make is there were numerous other parked vehicles in the lot that were originally blocking my view of everything that was going on. It was not until I pulled into the space that suddenly I realized I was completely surrounded by fights. The people including the spectators were moving around so quickly that as soon as I had pulled in, it was in front of the car, directly behind me, and on both sides of the car. Unless any of you suggest I back out and run over people which I don't think was the advisable solution, I had no way of backing out and driving away as some people suggested. With bottles flying in random directions, I was at risk sitting in the car as they could break the windows out and I could be hit by them. Additionally, I am too used to stupid cops who do nothing to help you and had I sat there on the phone I would have had to repeat my story dozens of times to the dispatcher and it would have likely taken an hour for them to show up and at that point I may be in serious trouble. I also assessed that staying in the car was a bad idea for another reason. The crazies were already using deadly weapons (beer bottles) which told me that the group currently within view did not have firearms or other weapons or they would have already been in use. However, the longer the fight continues the more likely it is to escalate. With that many of them out there and that much going on, there was a reasonable chance that one of the members may have gone to their car or apartment, gotten a gun, and come back and started shooting. Now I don't want to sit in a vehicle surrounded by people shooting at each other.

Third, as the fights were moving quickly there was a fast opportunity to move from the car to the house where the violence was far enough away for a quick escape. If this is hard for any of you to imagine, just picture a wheel spinning around and half of the wheel are the fighters and the other half are the spectators. Draw a line through the wheel and this is the path you must go from the car to the house. As the wheel is spinning there will be a point at which the distance betweentheescape pathand the fighters is greatest and consequently the distance between the path and the spectators is the closest. The point at which I bailed was when the spectators were who I had to go through as the fights at that split second in time were at just a good enough distance to make an exit. Rather than risking sitting in the car waiting for cops who may never arrive when there was an opportunity for escape, it made sense to take it. There was another factor at work as well: being directly involved. Those involved in the fight obviously knew that none of the spectators were there to help them and the new arrival (me) may be their only hope. Should one of them had run to me for help, the others would have attacked me. Suppose one of them had tried to pull me out of the car and carjack the vehicle and use it to try to run over the others. This stuff happens. People are crazy and will do anything.

Fourth, I did not want to be attacked even accidently while leaving the area. The display of the firearm was done while I was walking away from the fighters and toward the spectators. While I could see the spectators, I made eye contact with none of them. I didn't say anything to anyone either. This is simple body language that I am NOT interested in their fight but wish to safely get by. The gun in 99% of cases is in condition 1 and it was actually an error that it was in condition 3. The gun should have never been in condition 3 and it was an error on my part and extremely bad timing for such an error to happen. I cocked the gun to bring it to condition 1. As to "intimidating or brandishing" I don't see how that applies. I was in fear for my life which gives me right under Arizona law to display and use deadly force if a "reasonable person" would consider it necessary. If you can testify under oath that you felt your life and limb was in immediate danger and the evidence presented shows that such conclusions were logical, you would be justified in the display of deadly force. Threatening/brandishing/intimidating with a firearm is a class 6 felony last time I checked but I don't see how that would apply to this situation. Waving a firearm because your order was wrong at Jack in the Box is a felony. Displaying a firearm to safely flee an army of Mexican gang members killing one another is not brandishing. Get real.

Fifth, comments were made that I could have been shot or the gun would have been grabbed. I believe some people here are watching way too much TV. The criminals were not interested in me but in each other. However, should I have done the stupid thing and sat in the car for an hour waiting for the cops (because at that point I wouldn't have known how long it was going to take for them to arrive), I would have likely made them more interested in me. The longer you hang around, the more likely you are to get in trouble. Again, several of the spectators or fighters could have gone back inside their apartments and come back out with guns and at that point it would have been really bad had I still been sitting in the car. As to me getting shot or a gun grab while I was walking through them, understand that I wasn't exactly in condition white. I was in condition red and if anybody had even taken a step toward me in a threatening manner, they would have been shot. This would have been a legal shoot according to Arizona law. Trying to grab a gun away from someone or coming at someone with a beer bottle is considered an aggrevated assault if not attempted murder. If a reasonable person considers his life in danger or a third person's life in immediate danger and that deadly force is the only reasonable method to stop the threat, it is legal. Read the statutes if you don't believe me. With bottles flying everywhere, I was in danger of getting hit in the head even accidently which can be fatal. As to grabbing the gun, if they had grabbed the gun they would have used it on each other instead of me. It is unusual, however, for even the most derranged to try to grab a gun away from someone who is likely to use it on them if they try. This stuff is mainly on TV. Anyone who would have even gotten within arms-reach of mewould have had it pointing at them and probably shot.

Sixth, I don't think I was playing my cards early as someone mentioned. I gave the gangbangers a headache but I am not their primary threat. Use some criminal pyschology here. I found out through the grapevine that these were "three feuding families." Yet the all of these members were between 25-35 years of age. That does not look like a "family" to me. "Three feuding families" is a code word for "three feuding gangs." Obviously, these people are all gang members and it was between rival gangs. Now these gangbangers aren't stupid. They would see me as a "crazy white guy" who wanted nothing to do with them. They also would have noticed how I never took sides with any particular group. They also know that I am a "tough guy" and own weapons which would make them view me as a potential asset instead of a potential enemy. Instead of me being concerned about retaliation, I should be concerned about the opposite. If one gang is trying to get rid of the other and cannot, they will find ways to get stronger. They could pretend to be "decent people" and become "friends" with me and give me BS stories trying to get me to call the cops on their enemies or otherwise try to fool me into getting on their side and against the others. So the intelligent thing to do is simply stay low profile and act like nothing happened. Someone suggested that the gang-bangers would surround my apartment and force their way in to get my guns. Get real. If they do that, hundreds of rounds will be fired at them and the SWAT team will be on the way. I don't think that is their tactic as I am not their enemy.

Last but not least, it is worth considering moving out but at the same time it may also be safe to see how things ride out. Gangs want to be low profile. It is not like the 90s where they try to attract lots of attention. The management of the apartment does appear to be on top of things as they are unusually prompt at resolving maintenence issues, they are always issuing memos to the residents giving friendly tips on how to make the most of their community, they will work with you if you have problems paying your rent, and they have a zero tolerance crime policy. It is a gated community with multiple posted signs stating "No Trespassing" and "No Loitering" and any resident who commits a crime on the property faces immediate eviction. I have seen this enforced as well. These gangbangers have been put in the spotlight with all of the police attention and arrests which is something they do not want. If they feel their profits from drug dealing or whatever it is they do is being threatened, they will find a new territory. It is not like how they operated in the 90s. They are mobile and come and go quickly. Additionally, there are many many families with children here and most of the people are working legitimate jobs. I have been there about 9 months and no one has directly bothered me. Sure it is not a nice area but this whole incident appeared out of nowhere and may disappear as fast as it came.

One more thing to mention is life is about principles. I pay the damn rent and utilities and I have a right to park and go inside my apartment. I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in the home that I live in. I am a United States citizen, a registered voter, and an honest taxpayer. I refuse to be a doormat to illegal aliens, gang members, criminals, and other low-lifes who feel that I am somehow not entitled to these things. If I am no longer allowed to exercise these most basic rights that our Founding Fathers fought for, then I seriously believe it is time to declare war and start fighting for them. You can call it paranoid but I am sure that the FBI is actually reading this thread and good for them. Every person who believes that a U.S. citizen, taxpayer, and registered voter needs to go out of their way to "avoid" criminals and terrorists who do not respect those rights is ensuring that we are no longer citizens but subjects. You can avoid these problems but they don't go away and you cannot avoid them forever. People can move out of bad areas and to better ones but sooner or later the better areas also turn bad. You keep running from it and sooner or later there is no place left to go. Think about it. Enough said.

Ohio Patriot

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I got out of the car with a gun in my hand. I had it out of the holster and walked right through the onlookers and cocked the gun (pulled the slide back) in front of them.... I continued to walk through them and away from them with a gun in my hand but with the barrel pointing down of course.

I don't care that the cops allowed you to do this. This was a Bad Move.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I didn't even say anything when I first posted because I figured this would happen.

It probably was a bad move, but it's over now. I just hope that you don't get robbed, that is what would be my biggest concern. It concerns me to just walk out of my place to my car with an ammo can and a rifle case when I go to the range. Then people who are scoping places out would know where it "lives."

You're also going to need to watch your back a lot more now. If one of them was a gang member they may feel that you've somehow disrespected them, and that's something they will kill anyone (Including LEOs) over. Next time try to either enter from another direction or don't enter at all if it's not possible. I think you should try to avoid a crowd of intoxicated folks full of adrenaline at any cost. If that means not driving up to a parking space right in front of your place, then so be it. If your apartment were completely ablaze you wouldn't just walk into it because you think you shouldn't have to deal with the place being on fire. I don't see this as being very different, it's a highly volatile situation that's best to simply avoid.

I know for sure that what you did made it so that if you'd shot anyone you would have gone down for it in North Carolina. I am not sure about the laws in your state, but most have a duty to retreat and also require that you do nothing to instigate a problem. You did something that could easily be seen as instigating IMO and you made no attempt to flee, but rather walked right into it. The duty to retreat is a requirement in almost all states when you feel like you're in enought danger to justify having the weapon in your hands. By walking right into it with a weapon and racking the slide in front of everyone, you presented all of them with a threat. Nobody there knew whether or not you were going to just turn around and start shooting them or what. If they'd have attacked you I don't know how much of a defense you'd have had if you shot them for it. You would have had a part in instigating their attack by presenting them with a lethal threat when nobody had threatened you. Not to mention you were the one that chose to walk right into the massive fight when you had no involvement in it prior to that time.

Whether or not you think you should be able to walk into your house without a fight going on in front of it doesn't really matter. If it's too dangerous then it doesn't matter what you should be able to do, that's not always reality. Unfortunately you have to deal with idiots in this world, especially in a bad neighborhood. Just remember that if you'd have shot any of them you likely would have paid dearly for it in one way or another.

Also, walking back outside again was even more ridiculous IMO. You now intentionally went into the situation TWICE. If they'd have been on your property that would have been one thing, and btw even then you couldn't shoot them unless they attacked you. But to go into it TWICE, making blatant threats at people who were not making threats at you is kind of crazy. You should have just stayed inside, armed to the teeth of course, and perhaps taken photos or somehow recorded the scene. That way if they damaged anything you'd have evidence. Instead you went back into the situation and again presented a clear threat to all involved when you had no clue of what started it or anything else. You honestly had no good reason to be involved in the situation, especially once the Police were on the way. Your duty was to get out of the situation and not risk escalating it further or turning it into a lethal force encounter. Those people aren't worth it man.

When I lived in an apt a few years back (I did not own a firearm or carry any weapons), I lived on the third floor of a super low rent place. The stairway only had one entrance and required you to walk down a long walkway. One day this 400lb guy that lived right next door started talking shit to me because I woke his baby up when I left. The doors there were so messed up (Crooked) that you had to shut them hard for them to actually shut. There was no other way to do it, he did it too, as did everyone else around. The walls were thin, and there was a newborn in there that's just plain prone to crying.

Anyway, he threatened me and I had to call the police. They set it straight and later he apologized to me and became much more friendly. He still smoked crack cocaine with the white boy thugs across the way and smoked blunts of marijuana at the top of the stairwell in front of my door, but that was fine with me. I don't care about that stuff if you don't bother me and I never called the police about that. Both he and his crack smoking neighbor had handguns too. It was a very strange place, and I'm glad I left, but honestly I think they'd have shot someone trying to break in my place for me anyway, lol. They were pretty nice once you worked out any kinds of issues.

Dustin

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
My main point was to not armchair quarterback the situation.

Well when you post a story on a public forum, then your just asking for criticism.

Whether Good or Bad ;)

Ifhe were just trying to vent, thenI wouldsuggest heopen up a word document next time and start writing :)

David.Car

imported post

Well Arizona is a no retreat state but what you did is considered brandishing in AZ, and I am certain that if you had told the police you walked through the crowd with an unholstered weapon they would have paid you a visit.

Per AZ law:

"The defensive display of a firearm by a person against another is justified when and to the extent a reasonable person would believe that physical force is immediately necessary to protect himself against use or attempted use of unlawful physical force or deadly physical force."

The immediately necessary part is the very important part. According to the law the interpretation of this law proceeds as it being illegal to brandish or display your weapon to an aggressor who is using or attempting to use unlawful or deadly force before it reaches the point where you have to draw your weapon & shoot in self defense.

Now in your case, you didn't even have an aggressor... You were pre-emptively pulling your fire arm to try and make it so you did not have an aggressor. Which per your own state ruling seems to be illegal.

41 Magnum

imported post

This will be my last post on this-

WE WEREN'T THERE. WE DON'T, AND CAN'T KNOW all the important details.

Bottom line-

He came out alright, wether or not we agree if he handled it well. The responding officers seemed to think he did OK. Going back out with the shotgun was a stretch for sure. And his handgun should have been loaded in the first place. But the fact remains that he had every right to go from his car to his residence unmolested. He did so in the most appropriate manner he thought wasavalible to him.

As far as folks saying he wasn't in danger? YOU'RE NUTS. I've seen what happens in this type of situation. Thanks togangbangers, I've been shot, stabbed, and ran over. Just sit in your car and call the cops? That's a good way to get your windows and lights broke out, then be assulted in a confined space that you can't escape. BTDT. Won't happen again.

David.Car

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
He did so in the most appropriate manner he thought wasavalible to him.

As far as folks saying he wasn't in danger? YOU'RE NUTS.
1.I am trying to show himwhat someother options are as well as the consequences of the actions he chose, so next time he will know of other options he could take.

2. He was in just as much danger as every other spectator there, and from the story, sounds like they were just fine with their chip bags.

Dustin

imported post

David.Car wrote:
41 Magnum wrote:
He did so in the most appropriate manner he thought wasavalible to him.

As far as folks saying he wasn't in danger? YOU'RE NUTS.
1.I am trying to show himwhat someother options are as well as the consequences of the actions he chose, so next time he will know of other options he could take.

2. He was in just as much danger as every other spectator there, and from the story, sounds like they were just fine with their chip bags.

Exactly, this is just future advice.

Plus I tell you what. Put me in a car, with the doors locked, Give me a pistol with a full mag, and I promise, no one will get in that car ! After the first few fall, the rest won't have anything to do with me or the car. At least that way, you would have been on the defense while waiting the three minutes it took for the Cops to show up like he said.

Think about the guys, sitting in your car with your Carry pistol and 2 Full Mags. Dudes outside with bats trying to get in :lol::lol::lol:

It would be a bad day to be a Gangsta ! :cool:

Weak 9mm

imported post

Plus, a crowd isn't going to overpower a car, especially if I'm in the SRT. That 350lbft of torque (It's not stock) will put them down if necessary. If you stay in the car you have lots of options. I would never have stopped right there. I might have come up to investigate, but once it was clear this was a massive fight, I'd have circled around and gone to a safer area.

LordJim

imported post

asforme wrote:
LordJim wrote:
asforme wrote:

-
Jim
The point I was making was actually opposite. I think it's going to be alot easier to get a gun out of a holster where someone has to take the time to react and protect the firearm, than it would be if they tried to snatch it out of my hand. I'd go for the compromise and keep my hand on it protecting it, and ready to draw if necessary, but leave it in the holster.
I carry in a Serpa retention holster. You'd have to rip through my pants and belt to get that gun off of me. In all honesty, I'd go flying before the holster let free. Hand on, and ready to draw? Maybe. Though in this situation I'd have simply driven on by and called the cops and come back after they'd cleaned up the mess.

apcci2

imported post

David.Car wrote:
41 Magnum wrote:
To those that jump him for escalation issues-

DON'T! Not until you've been through it yourself. I have watched my neighborhood go down the tubes in the last year. But like our OP-Piss on 'em! I pay my taxes, bills, utilities, etc.I get up and go to work every morning. The class of folks he's dealing with don't do any of the above! But they're damn straight the first onesin line for the welfare check!

They deserve no better than what he gave them. I'd give 10 to 1 odds that had he given thema look, or made one comment that any of these individuals took offense to, he'd have been the new target of all three groups.I'd be damned if I'd call 911 just so I could walk from my vehicle to my residence!
I'm sorry but what he did is illegal in many states. I wish I knew his location so I could pull up the state laws for him to read.

I would HIGHLY suggest that the OP take a concealed weapons class.

There was NO reason for him to pull out his firearm and use it as an intimidation tool, and don't kid yourself, that is exactly what it was used for. Lucky he didn't wind up dead. Any one of those people could have pulled out their own firearm after seeing him carrying one and shot him.

Again. If he was so afraid for his well being, stay in your damn car. Drive around the block a couple times until the police arrived and calmed things down.

Being a law abiding citizen and a firearm owner you need to set the right image. Going around walking with a loaded gun in your hand is going to give a whole lot of negative press and send the wrong symbol. It tells the rest of the world that you are looking for trouble.

He should have hauled that bastards back to mexico

bohdi

imported post

Shoulda just drove through the crowd :D You would have hit more and then they really would have thought u wuz a crazy @ss cracker, lol. That's the vodka talking. Glad your okay, seriously. Might want to consider moving though.

protector84

imported post

While I greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts and feedback, several posts here have demonstrated that such persons did not carefully read everything I posted. For one, this incident took place in Arizona and Arizona laws apply. Arizona used to have poor self-defense laws not too long ago but that has changed. Arizona has a stand-your-ground law. In addition, it also has a citizens' arrest law. A person can act on behalf of a peace officer in his or her absense and actually detain someone who a reasonable person would believe is constituting a danger to public safety.

First, Arizona has no restrictions on open carry anywhere in the statutes other than that the firearm is carried in a safe manner. You can openly carry long guns and handguns with or without their cases or holsters or slings attached or placed in but the weapon must be pointed in a safe direction and it cannot be done in away that is deliberately designed to cause a public disturbance. Concealed carry without a permit is restricted in the statutes and an exemption is made if the holster, case, or other carrying device itself is visible. But there is no statuatory restriction on the actual gun being visible itself. If you enter a public place that provides storage lockers to check the gun in when entering, that will require you to remove it from the holster, pull the slide back to unload it, and then you will have to hand the gun to the person securing it for you and this will probably be done in front of many other people. There is nothing illegal to that. A lot of the so-called "pro-gun" people on this forum sound a lot like the anti-gun people who think that anything you do with a gun is illegal. Maybe in your state but not in ours.

I need to critique some more points in the following post:
It probably was a bad move, but it's over now. I just hope that you don't get robbed, that is what would be my biggest concern. It concerns me to just walk out of my place to my car with an ammo can and a rifle case when I go to the range. Then people who are scoping places out would know where it "lives."

That is worth considering. However, my apartment itself is pretty well secured. The main risk of a burglary is from people who know you, what you have, and how to get it. That makes the maintenence crew who have all the keys the most likely to break in, not the gangbangers. If I'm really concerned about that, I can put up a camera in the apartment and have it aimed at the entrances and record any activity to an external computer. That would prevent any maintenence person or someone with a key from breaking in. As to gangbangers, they don't know my habits or what exactly I have and the place isn't that easy to get into forcibly. Likewise, they don't want to get killed and if they consider the possibility that even though the place "looks" empty that someone actually is inside, then they risk facing a wall of 00 buckshot.
You're also going to need to watch your back a lot more now. If one of them was a gang member they may feel that you've somehow disrespected them, and that's something they will kill anyone (Including LEOs) over. Next time try to either enter from another direction or don't enter at all if it's not possible. I think you should try to avoid a crowd of intoxicated folks full of adrenaline at any cost. If that means not driving up to a parking space right in front of your place, then so be it. If your apartment were completely ablaze you wouldn't just walk into it because you think you shouldn't have to deal with the place being on fire. I don't see this as being very different, it's a highly volatile situation that's best to simply avoid.
Obviously, you didn't read the recent post carefully as I didn't notice there was a serious situation until I was right in the middle of it. Please re-read the second description. As to avoiding a "highly volatile situation" that applies to the street but not your home. Arizona has a "castle doctrine" law. If people want to kill each other, fine, but get it off of my property. These criminals were on the property where I live. The lease agreement governs my right to my apartment as well as the common areas. In essence, the parking lot, swimming pool, laundry rooms, and other areas of the complex are also my property. While the castle doctrine only applies to inside of the house, these people were on private property which I have legal rights to according to Arizona law and the lease agreement. If the situation involved following the fighters down the street and off the property, that is different, but it was happening on the property. There is a major difference between violence on the street and on the property where you live. Anyone who thinks that anyone should put up with it when it is on their property needs to do a reality check.

I know for sure that what you did made it so that if you'd shot anyone you would have gone down for it in North Carolina. I am not sure about the laws in your state, but most have a duty to retreat and also require that you do nothing to instigate a problem. You did something that could easily be seen as instigating IMO and you made no attempt to flee, but rather walked right into it. The duty to retreat is a requirement in almost all states when you feel like you're in enought danger to justify having the weapon in your hands. By walking right into it with a weapon and racking the slide in front of everyone, you presented all of them with a threat. Nobody there knew whether or not you were going to just turn around and start shooting them or what. If they'd have attacked you I don't know how much of a defense you'd have had if you shot them for it. You would have had a part in instigating their attack by presenting them with a lethal threat when nobody had threatened you. Not to mention you were the one that chose to walk right into the massive fight when you had no involvement in it prior to that time.

Nonsense. Arizona has a "stand your ground law." There is no duty to retreat. First of all, I was threatened by multiple assailants. While they were not interested in me, there was no guarantee that they might suddenly become interested. Additionally, deadly weapons were already introduced and in full use by the fighters. With beer bottles being thrown, that immediately puts my life in danger. In addition, even had my life not been in danger, Arizona has a third party defense statute. The people attacking each other with bottles were not only threatening each other with deadly force but they were endangering the public safety of everyone there. I could have legally shot anyone who had threatened me or another with a bottle. So to say I wasn't being threatened is ridiculous. These situations are extremely dangerous and even people who chose to stay inside their own homes were in danger. While there were numerous spectators who obviously were not afraid of where they were positioned, that is meaningless for two reasons. Stand your ground has nothing to do with someone else feeling or not feeling threatened. It has to do with you being threatened. Additionally, these spectators could have also been gang members, drunk, or on meth. Either way, just the fact that they were there made them a part of the situation and thus a threat. Since they were doing nothing to prevent or stop the violence and were actually egging the others on, they were also a threat to public safety as well as mine.

There is no such thing as me instigating a fight when it clearly was already on the borderline of someone getting killed. Ask yourself how likely you are not to be injured or killed if someone picks up a broken beer bottle and busts it over your head? If it didn't kill you, it may knock you unconscious and probably put you in the hospital. Technically, I should have gotten out of the car, pointed the gun at anyone reaching for, holding, or ready to throw a bottle, and shot them. Let me repeat this one more time. Not only was my action not considered brandishing, I actually had the right to shoot anybody wielding a bottle. People who still are not reading my posts clearly need to understand that this was not a common fist fight but a fight involving the use of deadly weapons.
Unfortunately you have to deal with idiots in this world, especially in a bad neighborhood. Just remember that if you'd have shot any of them you likely would have paid dearly for it in one way or another.

Not according to the statutes. Yes, you have to put up with "idiots" in public who may inconvenience you but are doing nothing illegal. You do NOT have to put up with felons who are putting your life as well as other people's lives in danger. Period. A "bad neighborhood" does not mean that you have to put up with it. The fact that I am a United States citizen and pay my taxes means I don't have to put up with it ANYWHERE.
even then you couldn't shoot them unless they attacked you

Again, not true and third party defense. Additionally, Arizona allows the use of deadly force if necessary to protect public safety. That means if I pull into the Circle K and see some idiot acting "cool" by holding a lit cigarette to the gas pump, I can pull my gun on him, tell him to get the cigarette away from the gas immediately, and if he continues to be funny by holding the cigarette where it could cause an explosion, I can legally shoot and kill him. True, he would not be threatening me or even a third party but his actions constitute a severe danger to public safety putting multiple lives in danger. That allows the use of deadly force. This is Arizona. It is not California, New York, or Chicago, IL. Keep that in mind.

Final point: I have to say it certainly was a learning lesson. Next time I witness someone threatening someone with a baseball bat, beer bottle, pool stick, knife, or other deadly object, I won't walk through them and rack the slide. Instead, I'll point the gun at them and pull the trigger. This is how you handle it. End of story.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointman wrote:
People said the OP had a duty to retreat and should have done so. He did--instead of running over "innocent" people he retreated to his dwelling. He didn't brandish, he defended his life in a reasonable manor. Perhaps he did use a show of force--with some cultures it's required; in fact, in any culture force is required to defend against unreasonable use of power. Should he have offered the crowd cookies? Dialed 9-1-1 while an operator tried to convince him to stay on the line and keep talking?

As much as I now hate the phrase "get off the X," it applies. It's easy to find oneself in a bad situation when in a not-so-good part of town, and the best a person can do is get out of it quickly before weakness is detected. The OP did what he had to and nothing more; if someone was offended it's their fault, not his.

Should the OP have displayed a shotgun? It certainly isn't the portable weapon of choice for drug-dealers. Displaying anything of value is a risk, and the OP took one. Hopefully his guns are scheduled on his renters' insurance and serial numbers recorded. Having the perfect response in any situation requires knowing all the variables and possible outcomes; if the OP's response worked, so be it.
+1