• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry question

ghoststan

imported post

i got a ccw i didnt know you can open carry in the state of nc other than on my car set it on the dash etc..my question can i have a gun out in the open at the hip and dont get in any legal trouble?

HughA69

imported post

Where can I find out where I can and cannot open carry in the state of NC. I guess I also need to know aboutmy local town and the surrounding areas?

I just read the following in the NC State statutes. What am I to take from this?
[font=BernhardModBT,Bold]

[align=left]6. G[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]OING [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]A[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]RMED [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]T[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]O [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]T[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]HE [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]T[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]ERROR [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]O[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]F [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]T[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]HE [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]P[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]EOPLE [/font][/align]
[align=left][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]
[/font]By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. [/align]
[align=left]The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.[/align]

apcci2

imported post

That is left to local law enforcement. In some counties, sheriff's offices are pretty hard on ocing. I know they are a little tough in brusnwick, richmond, and scotland.

HughA69

imported post

Is NC a statewide Open carry State?

If so I'm assuming it is left up to the municipalities to say whether or not it is further regulated?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

HughA69 wrote:
Where can I find out where I can and cannot open carry in the state of NC. I guess I also need to know aboutmy local town and the surrounding areas?

I just read the following in the NC State statutes. What am I to take from this?
[font=BernhardModBT,Bold]

[align=left]6. G[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]OING [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]A[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]RMED [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]T[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]O [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]T[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]HE [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]T[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]ERROR [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]O[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]F [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]T[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]HE [/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]P[/font][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]EOPLE [/font][/align]

[align=left][font=BernhardModBT,Bold]
[/font]By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. [/align]

[align=left]
The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.
[/align]
Read what is in red. You need to meet all the criteria before you can be charged.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Hugh, to answer your question: yes, NC has statewide preemption that prevents municipalities from further legislating OC. Chapel Hill has legislated the size of the weapons you are allowed to carry openly, and I believe that there have been other parts of the triangle that have attempted to break the law for their own municipalities and regulate OC. Have no fear, and arm yourself with knowledge (I think it comes in .40 cal ;)).

HughA69

imported post

Even though a gunIS considered an unusual and dangerous weapon it can still be openly carried if you are not stupid or threatening about it!?

HughA69

imported post

Thanks for your help and welcomed news.

As long as it's not posted by the store/company, it's not a Federal, State or local city bldg, financial bldg, school, place that serves alchohol, state, fed or city park I should be good to go?

I also noticed under your sign on name it says "State Administrator" what does that mean? Are you with the state of NC in some form or another?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

My job is to keep up with state laws and peculiarities, as well as offer some insight (opinion and personal understanding, as I am not a lawyer) to newbies and other members. Really it just means I spend too much time on the net. A gun is not unsual, a streetsweeper is unusual, an RPG is unusual. A sidearm is never unusual.