• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Carolina, New Hampshire to Georgia

derdz

imported post

I am a SC resident and have a SC cwp and a non resident cwp for New Hampshire which allows me to carry concealed in GA. The question that I have is can I openly carry in GA. even though I cannot in SC. The way I read it I can but I just want to be 100% sure . I will mainly be in the metro ATL area and if there is any other advice that you guys could give me it sure would help.

Thanks derdz

Viking03a

imported post

Good Evening,

Georgia's law has been for concealed carry, and is restricted until July 1st
from restrurants and any other places serving alcohol, or place of public
gathering, or other places where the owners refuse to allow weapons.

Open carry has been permitted here, and onlycarry of a concealed weapon
needed to be licensed. But the restrictions of locations were the same as
for ceonealed.

I have not seen the entire new code yet, but you may want to go to the
state of Georgia web site and read it for yourself.

Atlanta for the time being is probably not a good place to try out open
carry, and I would not push the issue until after July 1st, when the new
law goes into effect. On the other hand, there area's of Atlanta and surrounding
area I personnaly would not enter , unless armed, and probably with a partner.
I say this after serving in Law Enforcement for over 10 years In Georgia, and working in and around Atlanta for a good bit of time.

My wife and I both openly carry outside of the Atlanta area,I do not go into
the Atlanta area with out carrying, but concealed.

Have a great day.

Viking03a.

Peacemaker

imported post

In Georgia, you can carry openly anywhere you can carry concealed. Both open and concealed carry of a firearm is unlawful unless you possess a Georgia Firearms License or recognized out-of-state license.

Georgia law on the carrying of firearms is complicated, particularly because carrying TO or WHILE AT a public gathering is prohibited. Therefore, you can be violating the law even while leaving your weapon in your parked and locked vehicle.

You should read the following:
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

You should also note that the law will change significantly on July 1. Public gatherings will still be off-limits though.

Peacemaker

imported post

Viking03a wrote:
Open carry has been permitted here, and only carry of a concealed weapon
needed to be licensed.  But the restrictions of locations were the same as
for ceonealed [sic].

That is not true! Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. The carrying of a pistol, either open or concealed, in Georgia requires a GFL (or out of state license).

See O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128:
Carrying pistol without license

(a) A person commits the offense of carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person, outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without having on his person a valid license issued by the judge of the probate court of the county in which he resides, provided that no permit shall be required for persons with a valid hunting or fishing license on their person or for persons not required by law to have hunting licenses who are engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the persons have the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; provided, further, that the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, shall be carried only in an open and fully exposed manner.

(b) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a pistol without a license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he is guilty of a felony, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

(c) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licenseholder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

derdz

imported post

So OC is ok with an out of state cwp

Thanks for the help

derdz

Peacemaker

imported post

Yes, OC is legal. Just watch out for the obnoxiously long, and vague, list of places off-limits. Things will be a little better after July 1 as State parks, public transportation, and restaurants that serve alcohol will be ok. Beware of public gatherings. Those can sneak up on you when you least expect! The criminal code here actually includes the phrase "including, but not limited to!"