• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Virginia

gstactical

imported post

I am Virginia once or twice a year and usually carry concelaed most of the time. Since it has been unusually hot the last few days, I made a conscious decision to open carry all the time. I am staying at the Sheraton in Tysons Corner and other than getting a few weird looks from people from who knows where, no issues at all. I have been to the local Starbucks, Panera, Borders, and a few other businesses, all while open carrying.

Tonight I went down to Richmond to have dinner with a friend and his wife. We ate at the Tabacco Company Restaurant, an upscale establishment in the old cobblestone section of downtown Richmond. No issues in the two hours we spend at the restaurant, and there were lots of people all around us. On the way back to my car parked a block away, I walked right by a Richmond cop sitting at a stop light. I waved and he waved back.

I have three more days here. If anything new takes place, I will write an update. In my home state of Michigan, while legal, open carry is rare, and I only open carry occasionally in very rural places.

Sleepless

imported post

gstactical wrote:
I am Virginia once or twice a year and usually carry concelaed most of the time. Since it has been unusually hot the last few days, I made a conscious decision to open carry all the time. I am staying at the Sheraton in Tysons Corner and other than getting a few weird looks from people from who knows where, no issues at all. I have been to the local Starbucks, Panera, Borders, and a few other businesses, all while open carrying.

Tonight I went down to Richmond to have dinner with a friend and his wife. We ate at the Tabacco Company Restaurant, an upscale establishment in the old cobblestone section of downtown Richmond. No issues in the two hours we spend at the restaurant, and there were lots of people all around us. On the way back to my car parked a block away, I walked right by a Richmond cop sitting at a stop light. I waved and he waved back.

I have three more days here. If anything new takes place, I will write an update. In my home state of Michigan, while legal, open carry is rare, and I only open carry occasionally in very rural places.
From what I have heard, a Michigan CC Licence is the only one that is accepted in even more states then the FL or UT licences but to my knowledge it is only given to residents of Michigan.

Have you heard anything about this??

gstactical

imported post

Yes, you are correct. Michigan CPL (CCW) is currently accepted by (I believe) 33 states, including states with few reciprocity agreements like South Carolina, West Virginia, Minnesota, and Nevada. You are also correct in that it is only issued to residents.

Please note that that I decided to open carry strictly due to heat as well as for a little social experiment. I have CCWs from a dozen different states including Virginia as well as law enforcement credentials. I am glad that I didn't have to produce any of these things.