• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

under 21 handgun laws in washington state

balg23

imported post

Im new to the forum and was wonering about something
I know its legal for someone under 21 to own a handgun in their home and fixed place of business
my question is how would one go about buying that handgun if under 21
FFL dealers dont sell to under 21s
I dont think
but i could be wrong
anybody know?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
I can only think if one way. Gift from Parents or other relative.

You can't have your parents buy it for you because that would be a straw purchase, but they can gift it to you.
Face to face too I think.

Brad Cowin

imported post

They have to be sold to you by a private party. This can be a friend, relative or a complete stranger. A gun show would probably be your best bet.

I think there is also a way to have it gifted over to you by an immediate family member, but I'm unsure of the process.

Agent 47

imported post

No gun registration in Washington so gifting a gun requires no paperwork, they hand you the gun, you say thank you, end of transaction.... Ok you don't have to say thank you but if you don't they may think you are a jerk. ;)

My dad gave me my first handgun when I turned 18, and I carried it whenI went camping or to the shooting pit or just around my house. I concealed carried it a couple times at my job but it was kind of a pain in the ass to load it when I got there and unload it before I left.

expvideo

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:

You can't have your parents buy it for you because that would be a straw purchase, but they can gift it to you.

Wrong. You can legally own it, so buying it for you is not a straw purchase. It's only a straw purchase if you are buying a gun for someone who can't legally own one.

To answer the OP's question: Yes, you can buy a gun, but not from a dealer. Any face to face transaction would be legal, and so would "gifts". Also, it is important to note that the only way that you can legally carry a gun when you are under 21* is unloaded in an opaque case or wrapper. While that doesn't mean that you can carry it in a flap holster, there is some room for interpretation of what an "opaque case or wrapper" is, and you don't have to have a CPL to carry that way. I would like to know what this would be considered.

Does anybody know if a briefcase, purse, fanny pack, backback, etc are considered an "opaque case"? It is very vague, and since "opaque" only means that it is not see-through, it seems like this would make backpack/briefcase/purse carry legal for anyone 18-20 without a permit (provided the gun isn't loaded).

*not including your home/fixed place of business/etc, and not including on your way to a or from a shooting range, etc... There are some exceptions.

Agent 47

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Right Wing Wacko wrote:

Wrong. You can legally own it, so buying it for you is not a straw purchase. It's only a straw purchase if you are buying a gun for someone who can't legally own one.

To answer the OP's question: Yes, you can buy a gun, but not from a dealer. Any face to face transaction would be legal, and so would "gifts". Also, it is important to note that the only way that you can legally carry a gun when you are under 21* is unloaded in an opaque case or wrapper. While that doesn't mean that you can carry it in a flap holster, there is some room for interpretation of what an "opaque case or wrapper" is, and you don't have to have a CPL to carry that way. I would like to know what this would be considered.

Does anybody know if a briefcase, purse, fanny pack, backback, etc are considered an "opaque case"? It is very vague, and since "opaque" only means that it is not see-through, it seems like this would make backpack/briefcase/purse carry legal for anyone 18-20 without a permit (provided the gun isn't loaded).

*not including your home/fixed place of business/etc, and not including on your way to a or from a shooting range, etc... There are some exceptions.

Also you can carry concealed / open while participating in numerous outdoor recreational activities or when traveling to or from such activities.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

expvideo wrote:
Right Wing Wacko wrote:

Not true.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ffrrg/transcripts/ltfour.htm

[align=center]MR. LUCAS
Not always. A straw purchase is a purchase in which the actual purchaser uses someone else—a.k.a. the “straw person” to make the purchase and complete the paperwork. Generally straw purchasers are utilized because the actual purchaser is not eligible to conduct a transaction because they’re in one or more legally prohibited categories, such as being addicted to a controlled substance, being a felon, being underage, and so on. [/align] [align=center]However, a straw purchase occurs even when the actual purchaser is not a prohibited person. The crime committed is knowingly making a false statement on the Form 4473 indicating that the straw purchaser is the actual purchaser, when this is not the case.[/align] [align=center]Felons, who are also prohibited from conducting a firearms transaction, will sometimes attempt to obtain guns this way, because they wouldn’t pass the NICS background check and could not truthfully fill out Form 4473. If, however, Bobby was with his father or other legal guardian, and his father was legally eligible to obtain the handgun as a gift for Bobby, his father would fill out Form 4473, undergo the NICS check, and assume legal responsibility for the transaction and the gun. Bobby’s father could truthfully complete the form 4473 to indicate that he is the actual purchaser because he would take title to the weapon and then transfer the firearm to Bobby as a gift.[/align]

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

What if Bobby was over 18 and under 21, and paid Dad for a handgun before the purchase was made? Also, what if he paid Dad after the purchase was made? It sounds fishy to buy and sell a firearm immediately, but at what point can you sell it.

expvideo

imported post

carhark wrote:
What if Bobby was over 18 and under 21, and paid Dad for a handgun before the purchase was made? Also, what if he paid Dad after the purchase was made? It sounds fishy to buy and sell a firearm immediately, but at what point can you sell it.
It's technically illegal for him to buy the gun knowing that he is only making the purchase for his son, but unless his son is an ATF agent, no one is going to know the difference, and I doubt anything would stick in court anyway, because intent is hard to prove. He can buy the gun and sell the gun to his son, but he can't buy the gun with his son's money for his son, even though they both constitute the same thing. I would just go ahead and just not worry too much about it, since your intent is going to be very difficult to prove in court.

killerson6

I know its legal for someone under 21 to own a handgun in their home and fixed place of business
I dont think
but i could be wrong
anybody know?

Could anyone update this for 2017??

solus

welcome to the forum...

not much has changed in nine years...

< 21 need to have their caregivers 'gift' them the firearm.

i am positive you will have some kind Washingtonians along to add further guidance.

again welcome

ipse

golddigger14s

Activist Member
They have to be sold to you by a private party. This can be a friend, relative or a complete stranger. A gun show would probably be your best bet.

I think there is also a way to have it gifted over to you by an immediate family member, but I'm unsure of the process.

No Brad, 594 eliminated the private party 18-20 "loophole". Requires FFL, which automatically kicks in the 21+ rule.

solus

I dont think
but i could be wrong
anybody know?

Yep. However solus was completely wrong in post #12. Almost everything regarding 18 to 20 year olds purchasing handguns in Washington state has changed in the last 9 years. They "used to could" legally purchase handguns in private transactions. Now there is no legal way for them to purchase a handgun in Washington State.

humm, let's see commander, how did i word my response to the new OP's reposting of a nine year olde question...

oh ya...not much has changed in nine years! < 21 need to be gifted...

completely wrong commander?

seems the reasked nine year olde question was answered quite appropriately doesn't it? coupled w/my acknowledgement re nice washingtonians would provide further guidance...which you rightly provided, then decided to add the needless ad hoc commentary...

i am sure the navy taught you the term RTFQ...

'used to could' gas sold for 25 cents...huh!

ipse

Last edited: