• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith and Wesson Model 59

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I just replaced by Bersa Model 85 with this thing, and I had a few questions.

Is the 59 considered part of the 5900 series? Basically, will the Serpa designed to fit the 5900 fit the 59?

Also, the magazine appears to be a factory piece, but it will fit 15 rounds. Did S&W make any 15-round mags for this pistol, or were they all aftermarket? In that case, do I have a worn magazine spring?

Also, does anyone know how to disassemble/reassemble one of these?

Legba

imported post

The model 59 was a reworking of the model 39, with a staggered high(er) capacity magazine. I had thought that it was different from the later 5900 series in that the magazines are not substitutable. It was originally supposed to have magazines that were interchangeable with the Browning Hi-Power, so I'm pretty sure that won't work.

-ljp

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now I am going to have to google because I am not familiar with that pistol and Legba, as usual, said just enough to get me interested. ;)

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Legba wrote:
The model 59 was a reworking of the model 39, with a staggered high(er) capacity magazine. I had thought that it was different from the later 5900 series in that the magazines are not substitutable. It was originally supposed to have magazines that were interchangeable with the Browning Hi-Power, so I'm pretty sure that won't work.

-ljp

Pretty sure what won't work? The Serpa, or 5900 mags? 59-specific mags are easy enough to find, in both 14 and 15 round capacities, so I'm not to worried about that. Thanks for the info.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Well, I took it to the range today, and answered my own question regarding the magazine. It will load and feed 15 rounds easily. I fired about 70 rounds, some of them Federal HST 147-gr JHP, and the rest various 115-gr FMJ target loads, with no malfunctions. It shoots like a dream, with a VERY light single action trigger (and a very heavy double action). It's steady and accurate and fun to shoot.

Still don't know if the Serpa will fit it, haha..

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Nice ammo choice btw.

Thanks. I've read nothing but good things about that round, and since I love 9mm, it seemed the natural choice.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

BTW, here is a pic:

gundog022kp1.jpg

Weak 9mm

imported post

Man that S&W looks good. I've thought about snagging one of those myself. The capacity is even higher than I'd imagined and it seems like a nice substantial frame.

I've got some 124gr +P HST's at the moment and I love them, the expansion is unbelievable. I found some 147gr +P HST's for sale too, so I'm going to snag some of those if they're still available when I get some $.

ute

imported post

Dr. Fresh- the SW59 is a first gen of the high cap mag. I still CC and OC a SW659 which is the 2nd generation stainless version. They were carried by a lot of LE's. I have put thousands of rounds through these weapons and a dream is an understatement.

Walleye

imported post

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in any way, this is the procedure for disassembly according to my S&W manual.

The S&W metal frame automatic pistols (M39, M39-2, M59, etc) should all have the same basic disassembly steps:

1. Remove the magazine.
2. Clear the chamber.
3. Pull the slide back until the slide stop notch is aligned with the slide stop pin.
4. Push the slide stop pin out by pressing the right side of the pin through the frame.
5. Pull the slide forward and off the frame.
6. Proceed with this step with extreme caution - spring has a lot of force in it! Remove the recoil spring by pressing the spring forward and removing it from the radial notch.
7. Rotate the muzzle bushing until it can be pulled out.
8. Barrel can now be removed by pushing forward and then pulling back.
Weapon is now field stripped.

The manual for S&W metal framed auto pistols is available in .pdf format here:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/SW_Metal_Frame_Auto_Pistol_06_16_08.pdf

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Awesome. Thanks for the replies guys. I don't carry +Ps in it because it's 1970s vintage and I don't wanna risk it. Besides, the subsonic 147s have very little recoil, yet plenty of punch.

I got a Bianchi holster for it, but only because they were out of Serpas at the store. Eventually I'll get my Serpa.

Thanks for the instructions. :celebrate

Legba

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Legba wrote:

-ljp

Pretty sure what won't work? The Serpa, or 5900 mags? 59-specific mags are easy enough to find, in both 14 and 15 round capacities, so I'm not to worried about that. Thanks for the info.

I meant the magazines - dunno about the Serpa, sorry. Also, most of the newer Smiths don't have the bushing, but the field stripping instructions are otherwise the same. I have a 5900 series and I broke the extractor at the range last time using out-of-spec ammo. Oops.

-ljp

bassrocker4God04

imported post

The Serpa for the 5900 Model does fit the model 59. I purchased one recently and have been extremely happy with this product. as to breaking down the firearm, simply send a request on the Smith and Wesson website and they will send a manual to you.

rictshaw

imported post

Dr. Fresh,

I know this is an old thread, but I don't see much about the M59 anymore, so I couldn't resist :celebrate

I have a S&W M59 that I've owned since the 70's. I just saw the pix of your gun, so I thought I'd show you some pix of mine...

I made two different grips for it, so you're seeing two different pics of the same 59:

DSC06058.jpg

DSC06048.jpg