Thread: County Parks

Post imported post

What are the rules about OC and CC in county Parks? Such as Deep Run Park in Henrico?

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Henrico used to have an ordinance banning guns in county parks but now there is this:

15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

Firearms are fine in the park, carry away!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Ain't state preemption grand?!? I love that cite...

Cal

Post imported post

see de fitty....i told ya it was ok just make sure that u cc not oc.........you will be fine....see ya at work tommorow...later

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

ballester wrote:
    see de fitty....i told ya it was ok just make sure that u cc not oc.........you will be fine....see ya at work tommorow...later
    Um... What? Why not OC. OC is protected by preemption too.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

OC and CC are fine.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

really i thought it was cc only in parksat least state parks..iwill stand corrected if need be...i justcc in thepark jsut to play it safe... but if you can oc than more power to the people

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You are correct on state parks being CC only. National parks are off limits. County and City parks are OK any way you want to carry and any local regulations are blocked by preemption.

Post imported post

State parks are run at the state level and conform to state law. Preemption only works at the local level. Must CC in state parks, can do whatever works for you in locally owned parks.

Post imported post

i see...ok then i was mistaken and i apologize...spectre asked me this a few days ago and i thought locals fell under the state law...ok now i know...still i personally choose to cc in parks....nothing wrong either way and if i see a fellow citizen being hasseled over oc in a local park then i will be firsts in line to defend them and our rights...thank you for clarifing it... and d e i talk more about it at work tommorow maybe we can get a copy of the law printed up jsut in case to keep in our back pockets...hooah:celebrate

Post imported post

Having a copy on-hand isn't a bad idea, but most of the employees done care, the cops are aware, and the game wardens are the only ones you will likely see, if there's a fishin' hole. I OC in several parks in the area with those, and I've run across the game warden several times at different parks/fishin' holes. He actually has started to ask if it's under my shirt/coat, but he's never carded me when I say yes. I guess he thinks I'm not gonna mug the fish, though he doesn't know how tempted I've been after a day without a bite.

Post imported post

Having a copy on-hand isn't a bad idea, but most of the employees done care, the cops are aware, and the game wardens are the only ones you will likely see, if there's a fishin' hole. I OC in several parks in the area with those, and I've run across the game warden several times at different parks/fishin' holes. He actually has started to ask if it's under my shirt/coat, but he's never carded me when I say yes. I guess he thinks I'm not gonna mug the fish, though he doesn't know how tempted I've been after a day without a bite.

Edited to add...

Having a copy of the state park rule is HIGHLY recommended, and can be had on the state park website.

Post imported post

i wholeheartedly agree with you...nobody can tell you your breaking a law hopeing you dont know it...then suddenly appear with the whole state code on firearms and ask them again jsut what are you doing wrong....really pisses them off but what can they do????? i try to remain on the plus side with the law..but if your wrong your wrong....dont matter who you are....so i understand cc and oc are good in the local parks...always carry in maymont...to many dark secluded places to hide in there....love it though....hooah