• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting VA in July

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, if you have a CCW, the only place at risk it would seem is in an ABC restaurant or club. Elsewhere, it wouldn't matter as both CC and OC would be legal for you. So in an ABC location, an officer walks in, arrests you for CC and then I guess that is a simple matter of going to court and having the hearing -
Judge: "You arrested this man for CC in an ABC establishment?"
Officer: "Yes ma'am"
Judge" "How did you know he was CCing?"
Officer: "I saw the grip of the pistol sticking up out of his holster above his waistband and upon seeing he had a CC firearm I approached him and arrested him."
Judge: "You saw the weapon in plain sight, recognized it as a weaopn and so arrested him for concealing the weapon."
Officer: "Yes, ma'am"
Judge: "I passed English and Logic my freshman year in college -- DISMISSED"

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Well, if you have a CCW, the only place at risk it would seem is in an ABC restaurant or club. Elsewhere, it wouldn't matter as both CC and OC would be legal for you. So in an ABC location, an officer walks in, arrests you for CC and then I guess that is a simple matter of going to court and having the hearing -
Officer: "I saw the grip of the pistol sticking up out of his holster above his waistband and upon seeing he had a CC firearm I approached him and arrested him."
Judge: "You saw the weapon in plain sight, recognized it as a weaopn and so arrested him for concealing the weapon."
While entertaining, I think that is an oversimplification of the statute. If it was obscured, and required investigation by the officer to identify it as a gun, it would fit the statute....like I said, just my opinion.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
While entertaining, I think that is an oversimplification of the statute. If it was obscured, and required investigation by the officer to identify it as a gun, it would fit the statute....like I said, just my opinion.
Laff - I know it was - just having a little fun and was not directing it at you.

I guess my point was that I think it would be pretty obvious to an officer whether or not someone was attempting to conceal or attempting to follow the law. It seems to me it will be LEO discretion whether to just say something to the citizen about being more careful or to follow the letter of the law to it's natural conclusion. It is incumbent on us to do our best to be in full compliance with the law like it or not.

caltain

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

I guess my point was that I think it would be pretty obvious to an officer whether or not someone was attempting to conceal or attempting to follow the law. It seems to me it will be LEO discretion whether to just say something to the citizen about being more careful or to follow the letter of the law to it's natural conclusion. It is incumbent on us to do our best to be in full compliance with the law like it or not.

Reply:

Attempting to follow the law is a good point, and a valid one. That said, it's probably why we haven't seen any case law on the topic. The LEOs are giving the benefit of the doubt. They don't have to do that, and at some point, some narrow minded LEO is going to testthis for us.

I behave the same way in all my daily life. I drive at 55 indicated, if that's the speed limit, even though I know that radar doesn't show me at 55 until I indicate 58+. I try to follow the spirit of the law, as well as the text. The spirit of this law is that it be plainly obvious to everyone that you are carrying a firearm, so that's how I make it...your mileage may vary.

Cal

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

caltain wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Reply:

Attempting to follow the law is a good point, and a valid one. That said, it's probably why we haven't seen any case law on the topic. The LEOs are giving the benefit of the doubt. They don't have to do that, and at some point, some narrow minded LEO is going to testthis for us.

I behave the same way in all my daily life. I drive at 55 indicated, if that's the speed limit, even though I know that radar doesn't show me at 55 until I indicate 58+. I try to follow the spirit of the law, as well as the text. The spirit of this law is that it be plainly obvious to everyone that you are carrying a firearm, so that's how I make it...your mileage may vary.

Cal
deepdiver and caltain - I agree. Points well said by both of you.