• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC meetup at West Valley City Council Meeting

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is being postponed until next week... It should still be Tuesday and the time and place should be the same, but check back for any updates!

Ok all; let’s go ask the WVC Mayor and city council to call off the dogs so to speak. Then go to the mall or near the E-Center for some dinner.

I think it would be a great idea to attend the weekly city council meeting and discuss some recent "events" with the local PD and their response to people legally OC'ing.

Here are the details of the meeting:
http://www.wvc-ut.gov/sirepub/pubmtgframe.aspx?meetid=526&doctype=AGENDA

The Regular Meeting of the West Valley City Council will be held on Tuesday June 17, 2008, at 6:30 PM, in the City Council Chambers, West Valley City Hall, 3600 Constitution Boulevard, West Valley City, Utah. Members of the press and public are invited to attend.

A G E N D A

7. Comment Period
(The comment period is limited to 30 minutes. Any person wishing to comment shall limit their comments to five minutes. Any person wishing to comment during the comment period shall request recognition by the Mayor. Upon recognition, the citizen shall approach the microphone. All comments shall be directed to the Mayor. No person addressing the City Council during the comment period shall be allowed to comment more than once during that comment period. Speakers should not expect any debate or dialogue with the Mayor, City Council or City Staff.)
In case anyone is just joining us, or wants to know the details of why we are doing this, please review the following threads.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/10692.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11407.html
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11673.html

ETA: Background information -

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's awesome! I would love to attend, but will be travelling to Vegas that day.

I really hope TJ makes it and can make comments.

Looking forward to hear how it goes.

ScottyT

imported post

I have to go take the NPOST tomorrow night so that I can turn my Sherrif's Dept. application in on Friday!

I wish I could be there!

I am working on a letter to send to the WVCPD Chief, the Mayor and the City Attorney. Since I visit the city everyday (for work), this concerns me greatly.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Me alone:uhoh:.

WVC PD will have a HAY DAY with me there alone. Talk about[suB][suP]1 tiny little[/suP][/suB]shep walking into den of wolfes.:uhoh:

TJ

Decoligny

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

WVC PD will have a HAY DAY with me there alone. Talk about[suB][suP]1 tiny little[/suP][/suB]shep walking into den of wolfes.:uhoh:

TJ

Remember: Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

TJ

Remember: Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

I'd rather have Democracy = 1, Sheep = 2:uhoh:...:celebrate.

TJ

ScottyT

imported post

Screw it! They administer the NPOST on Wednesday night as well.

I won't let you go alone TJ!!!

I think it would be best if you spoke for all OCers during the comment period, as you are the one on the front lines of this effort.

Prepare your statement in advance!!! Time it and practice it in front of the mirror!

Include the December "at gun point" story, as well as your recent info from the off-duty cop (about the mandatory 3-4 officers for MWAG call).

At the close of your remarks, be sure to acknowledge your appreciation for the men and women in uniform -- then DEMAND that this harrassment be stopped before we are forced to take legal action!

I was a speech writer and journalist at the Y, so I would be happy to help! Just let me know. Maybe we could do lunch tomorrow and discuss it? Or an early dinner just before the meeting?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We can go next week! Maybe give us all a chance to invite more people from UCC.com and give everyone a chance to decide who will speak what they will use the 5 minutes talking about etc...

Just a thought, but it might work out a little better with more notice!

ScottyT

imported post

I think it would be better to have TJ speak for all of us, since he has the most first-hand experience and actually lives in the city.

If we gett up one by one and take the whole time, I feel that would hurt us much more than help us.

TJ kindly allowed me to prepare some remarks for him and we are in the process of refining his statement.

I think as long as a few of us show up to back him up, we should be good to go.

I will be there with my video camera and dressed in shirt and tie -- and strapped, of course...

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I think it would be better to have TJ speak for all of us, since he has the most first-hand experience and actually lives in the city.

If we gett up one by one and take the whole time, I feel that would hurt us much more than help us.

TJ kindly allowed me to prepare some remarks for him and we are in the process of refining his statement.

I think as long as a few of us show up to back him up, we should be good to go.

I will be there with my video camera and dressed in shirt and tie -- and strapped, of course...
Sounds good to me. I'll post this over at UCC to see if we can get any more last minute support.

Edit: Nevermind looks like you beat me to it at UCC. :lol:

abrian8

imported post

I will be behind you guys all the way in spirit. The cost of fuel just makes it dificult to do.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear the details.

P.S. I did not find the post on UCC.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

abrian8 wrote:
I will be behind you guys all the way in spirit. The cost of fuel just makes it dificult to do.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear the details.

P.S. I did not find the post on UCC.
I'd be willing to pitch in to get you here if needed... Should cost you about 10 bucks right? (60 miles @ ~30 mpg = 2 gallons * $4 per gallon) I'll throw in $3-4 bucks to get another person to help our cause...

Also the post is located here on UCC
http://utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2578

Outsider

imported post

I will try to be there, but I have to clear it with the wife. I want to support you, TJ, and hope she gives me the okay. I'll probably come straight from work. Any schools around that area? Don't want to get nailed since I don't have a CFP.

EDIT: I just cleared it with my wife and she said it was okay. I'll be there!!! Be nice to meet you guys finally.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
I'd be willing to pitch in to get you here if needed... Should cost you about 10 bucks right? (60 miles @ ~30 mpg = 2 gallons * $4 per gallon) I'll throw in $3-4 bucks to get another person to help our cause...

Hmmm... (90 miles @ ~30 mpg = 3 gallons * .63 per gallon) $1.89! Count me in!