• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC meetup at West Valley City Council Meeting

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Outsider wrote:
For the record I drove from Orem to WVC and then called TJ to ask where you guys were at. Found out it was cancelled, but that is okay. We need TJ!!! I should have checked online first. Oh well. I won't be able to make it next Tuesday because we're moving so I'll be there in spirit.
Dang sorry man, I wish we had been able to get ahold of everyone!

GeneticsDave

imported post

Ok, so can we go to Red Robin afterwards, 'cause if not, I'm not coming ;)

I'm really craving a Bleu Ribbon Burger:

2439692267_db0a278627.jpg

UTOC-45-44

imported post

GeneticsDave wrote:
Ok, so can we go to Red Robin afterwards, 'cause if not, I'm not coming ;)

I'm really craving a Bleu Ribbon Burger:

2439692267_db0a278627.jpg

SHUT UP. And now I'm suppossed to go to bed with that image on my mind and drool in my mouth:cuss:...:banghead:...:lol:...

Red Robin it is:celebrate

TJ

ScottyT

imported post

I will be at the meeting, but I have to leave right after the comment section (not advised for everyone, lest we appear too self serving). My brother-in-law and his family are flying in from North Carolina today -- I am lucky I was able to talk my way into being able to go to the meeting at all!

Good luck tonight TJ! I hope you practiced your speech!

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

swillden wrote:
I wish I could go, but Tuesday is Scout night. I managed to get out of it last week, but this week there's no way.
Bring them for a lesson on civics!

ScottyT wrote:

I will be at the meeting, but I have to leave right after the comment section (not advised for everyone, lest we appear too self serving). My brother-in-law and his family are flying in from North Carolina today -- I am lucky I was able to talk my way into being able to go to the meeting at all! Good luck tonight TJ! I hope you practiced your speech!
Wahoo, OC at the airport!!

murph

imported post

I'm very excited for this meeting tonight. I've been planning on it since last Tuesday. I'm even blowing off my father in law's "Fathers Day" get together and sending my wife by herself (she's VERY supportive).

I've been working up the courage to OC so I'm not sure if I'm going to bringmy firearmtonight (Don't want my first experience to be in handcuffs) but I will be there to support TJ and to meet the rest of you who are coming. See you all there!

ScottyT

imported post

murph wrote:
I've been working up the courage to OC so I'm not sure if I'm going to bringmy firearmtonight (Don't want my first experience to be in handcuffs) but I will be there to support TJ and to meet the rest of you who are coming. See you all there!
Not OCing is fine, but this is a great opportunity to do it with the backup of the more seasoned veterans. Much easier to do it in groups than on your own.

murph

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
murph wrote:
Not OCing is fine, but this is a great opportunity to do it with the backup of the more seasoned veterans. Much easier to do it in groups than on your own.
Very good point.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

murph wrote:
I'm very excited for this meeting tonight. I've been planning on it since last Tuesday. I'm even blowing off my father in law's "Fathers Day" get together and sending my wife by herself (she's VERY supportive).

The more the merrier, and we'll be glad to have you with us...Hope you decide to OC!

ScottyT

imported post

I swung by WVC City Hall today during lunch. No posted restrictions at all, beyond the usual no smoking sign. No food or drink in the council chambers, turn off cell phones, etc...

NOTHING posted regarding firearms.

See you guys tonight! I will have my video camera rolling to capture TJ's moment of glory! :celebrate

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

[align=center]Posted at OCDO Media Center: http://www.opencarry.org/Press/June-17-08.pdf[/align]
[align=center]----[/align]
[align=center]Hey all, I've forwarded the following press release to a few local media outlets hoping that we can get some coverage.

OpenCarry.org
For Immediate Release – June 17, 2008
Utah OpenCarry.org members to attend West Valley City Council
meeting tonight to ask that the Mayor reign in his police
department from their practice of unlawfully detaining,
searching, and harassing citizens who legally open carry

[/align]
[align=left]A large number of citizens from around Utah will be attending the West Valley City Council meeting tonight, Tuesday June 17th at 6:30 P.M.

Some will be legally openly carrying handguns in holsters. Others will be legally carrying handguns concealed.

They will be there to demand that the Mayor rein in his police department from their practice of unlawfully detaining, searching, and harassing citizens who are peaceably going about their business while armed.

These citizens are part of a group of people who “Open Carry” - who meet regularly to discuss the laws and complexities of carrying firearms openly for protection as well as to make a political statement. They also discuss and organize their meetings on the internet at OpenCarry.org, a website founded by two law students in Virginia that allows people across the country to discuss the practice.

In Utah there is no law against openly carrying a firearm as long as there is no bullet in the chamber (for semi-automatic firearms). If a person has a concealed weapons permit, the chambered round restriction is lifted, and one can carry “fully loaded”.
Recent encounters, especially with WVC PD, have prompted the group to educate the mayor, city council, and police department in the laws, so that law abiding citizens are no longer treated like criminals while going about their business.

Recent articles in the Salt Lake Tribune, the Deseret News, the LA Times, and other local and national newspapers and internet blogs have caused the open carry movement to explode in the last year across the country, a fact that the West Valley Police must have heard about by now.

Footnotes
1. Information about the West Valley City council meeting can be found at http://www.wvcut.
gov/sirepub/pubmtgframe.aspx?meetid=528&doctype=AGENDA.
2. Incidents with WVCPD are described at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11739-
1.html.
3. LA Time article can be found at http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-naopencarry7-
2008jun07,0,849912.story.
4. Salt Lake Tribune article can be found at http://www.sltrib.com/News/ci_9519160
5. Deseret News article can be found at
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695220748,00.html
[/align]