Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the worst POS firearm you've ever owned?

Post imported post

I saw a thread with this same topic on another gun board I frequent and wanted to get one started here. What is/are the worst POS firearm(s) (handgun or long gun) you have ever owned? Here are mine:

Hi Point C-9: My problem with this gun was not so much with FTF or FTE, but with the magazines. The magazines on this gun were always sliding out. At first I thought it was because the mag release button was always pressing up against the holster, so I filed down, which I thought would fix the problem. When that did not work, I found that a simple tug on the bottom of the mag was enough to make it come out. It got so bad that every time I carried this gun, I had to check to see if the mag was in place. When I finally purchased my Glock 22, I still kept checking the mag on that one. Of course it did not happen on that one.

Cobra: (Not sure of the model, but it was a .32 with an 8 rd mag and chrome slide); I could never get through a full mag without a FTE.

Cobray MAC-10: The damned thing just would not fire. I could maybe fire 2 or three consecutive shots before the damned thing would just stop. Total POS.

Post imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
    I saw a thread with this same topic on another gun board I frequent and wanted to get one started here. What is/are the worst POS firearm(s) (handgun or long gun) you have ever owned? Here are mine:

Hi Point C-9: My problem with this gun was not so much with FTF or FTE, but with the magazines. The magazines on this gun were always sliding out. At first I thought it was because the mag release button was always pressing up against the holster, so I filed down, which I thought would fix the problem. When that did not work, I found that a simple tug on the bottom of the mag was enough to make it come out. It got so bad that every time I carried this gun, I had to check to see if the mag was in place. When I finally purchased my Glock 22, I still kept checking the mag on that one. Of course it did not happen on that one.

Cobra: (Not sure of the model, but it was a .32 with an 8 rd mag and chrome slide); I could never get through a full mag without a FTE.

Cobray MAC-10: The damned thing just would not fire. I could maybe fire 2 or three consecutive shots before the damned thing would just stop. Total POS.
    Never owned a hi-point but I can look at one and tell its not the best quality. My worst has probably been a Bersa Thunder 380CC. It sucked, just overall sucked. I think it was more of a lemon than the entire line, but still, I won't own another.

Post imported post

Nothing i'd call a POS, but I bought a TC Contender G2 that I really don't like the trigger on. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not as smooth as I'd like, and nothing like the G1 Contender I have. On a related note, does anyone want to buy a barely used G2 Contender?

Post imported post

both of my guns have had problems.

I bought a MP .40c and it started dropping magazines after 1k, which has been factory fixed *fingers crossed*

And a used browning buckmark .22 which occationally gets stovepipes and bad feeds.

Edit - And i'll never sell em.

Post imported post

On a related note, does anyone want to buy a barely used G2 Contender?
    lol.

What kind of price are we talking?

Post imported post

My Raven Arms P25 is a POS compared to most modern guns but it is what it is - a cheap "saturday night special" that I only carry when I need to deep conceal. It took a lot of time to fluff and buff it to smooth functioning and end the stove pipes and jamming. Now it fires off a mag of .25 HPs without issue although, if you grip the little thing too high, you won't get slide bit, you'll just jam the pistol as the slide doesn't have enough momentum to overcome any amount of extra drag. But the fixed barrel makes it pretty accurate up to about 10 yds.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I have a Hi-point .380 and I don't have problems with the mags, of course I replaced the spring for the mag release, which is really weak, with a piece cut off of the old firing pin spring. I placed it between the button and the frame and haven't had that problem since.

Jennings J22, the biggest POS I have ever seen, It was my moms, and it would FTF, FTE all the time. couldn't get a second round off no matter how hard you tried. Took it apart and it looked like it was lubricated with vaseline. cleaned that up, polished the feed ramp, replaced the ejector and the recoil spring, redid the bore as it was too tight, and it still sucks donkey nuts.

After looking into it, the design just sucks, It has nothing to hold the casing down as it contacts the stop which helps eject it, and the stop has a backwards and upwards slant.

If it ejected out the top, it would have worked just fine, but it didn't.

Post imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
    lol.

What kind of price are we talking?
    I sent you a PM.

Post imported post

Actually, a Beretta 21A, a little .22 pistol that wouldn't fire more than 2 rounds in succession without jamming to where you had to drop the mag and rack the slide several times to clear the jam.......got rid of it and quick.

Ironically, my HP 45 works just fine, almost or over a thousand rounds with no problem......carry it whenever I OC. You should have sent the C9 back to HP to have it fixed....would have been done for free.......oh well. Someone else is a happy HP owner, I'm sure.

Post imported post

I am, this .380 works great. Wish it was a larger caliber though

Post imported post

The one reason I've never liked the .380 is that it's weaker than a 9mm but it seems like it costs more to shoot with all of the ammo I've seen. That is ass backwards!!!

It is powerful enough to be useful though, just snag some Federal Hydrashoks for defensive purposes. Those are quite good in .380 Auto.

Post imported post

I agree with you there, it is ass backwards, but the gun was cheap, so I bought it.

Hmmm, I haven't tried it with hollow points.

Post imported post

Well, they're expensive so I'd only use them for defense, but of course initially you want to make sure that they function properly. You'd want to try them first to make sure, but they have good performance for a .380 Auto.

Post imported post

Well, I guess if they don't work, I'll have a box of HPs to give away.

Post imported post

Hi Point 9mm -jamomatic POS. It will jam at least once per clip.

Post imported post

Oh, I don't know. I have 4 mags for my C9 and I've yet to jam once and have lost track of how many rounds I've fired thru it. Well over 1000 I know of. Now if you're limpwristing it, well, there ya go. But I'm sure your a big beefy guy with wrists the size of telephone poles so thats out of the question...

Post imported post

Doesn't jam on my wife,

4'11" 97lbs.

If you're limpwristing it and can't stop, then you suck.

And it doesn't jam on me, course it's a .380 so maybe that's why.

Oh wait, the 9mm and the .380 are the same gun with minor differences, that can't be it then.

I'm afraid this thread is going to turn into a HP bashing party.

Probably gonna get closed.

Post imported post

Not jammin on yer wife thx, I'm jammin on crotalus!!!

Post imported post

What would possess a person to buy a cheap ass hi point to begin with?

Post imported post

Oy....so was there a reason to start this thread, or was it the purpose to start yet ANOTHER flame war?

Post imported post

Yup, here we go again...looks like we're back to back again Compmanio!!!

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley, California, USA

Post imported post

I'll try something back on topic and see where it gets me :

I have what I consider two POS guns, the first is a Davis .380. These are the guys that the CA legislature put out of business for manufacturing Saturday Night Specials. Bought it for my wife because she complained everything else kicked too much. Turns out the thing is so small and light it kicks like hell and she can't prevent FTE unless she uses both hands. Practically impossible with a tiny POS like this.

Not sure this qualifies, but also have a WWII era Mauser 7.65 semi, manufactured without a safety. Fires and functions fine, but since you can't carry it with a chambered round, it's a POS in my book.

Post imported post

I'm not trying to be mean and single out Hi-point, but when you see a 9mm or 45 or 40 or whatever for $150+/-, you should know you are getting crap. This goes for many other companies. Jennings, Bersa, I mean come on, if you are buying a gun like that for pp, you are saying that your life and the lives of loved ones are only worth $150

Post imported post

I see what you are saying, but I have only had good experiences with my HI-point. I think what posseses people to buy them is they don't have a lot of money. I am of the belief that any gun can be a lemon, just like any car out there.

And I believe the reason that Hi-points are so inexpensive, not cheap, is that they are manufactured in the U.S., therefore no import fees and taxes, and they have absolutely no bells or whistles.

They are a simple blowback style, and they have a not so great but simple trigger.

I guarantee that most of the Glocks and XD's don't cost nearly as much to produce as they are being sold for. They need to add overseas shipping and other fees. Then they still need to make a profit.

So, I don't think they are cheap, I think they are inexpensive, and actually of decent quality.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    I see what you are saying, but I have only had good experiences with my HI-point. I think what posseses people to buy them is they don't have a lot of money. I am of the belief that any gun can be a lemon, just like any car out there.

And I believe the reason that Hi-points are so inexpensive, not cheap, is that they are manufactured in the U.S., therefore no import fees and taxes, and they have absolutely no bells or whistles.

They are a simple blowback style, and they have a not so great but simple trigger.

I guarantee that most of the Glocks and XD's don't cost nearly as much to produce as they are being sold for. They need to add overseas shipping and other fees. Then they still need to make a profit.

So, I don't think they are cheap, I think they are inexpensive, and actually of decent quality.
    I agree. I'm not trying to insult anyone on wealth. But its a you get what you pay for deal. You are absolutely right, all manufacturers have lemons, I have had two lemons, one from S&W and one from Glock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast