• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are NC people carrying?

Oxblood

imported post

Glock 20 'nuff said:

IMG_2437.jpg

--Oxblood

Oxblood

imported post

Yes I do have big hands :p Now I just need to figure out how to conceal it in summer garb which for me is jeans and a T-shirt.

--Oxblood

ParaChem

imported post

Oxblood wrote:
Yes I do have big hands :p Now I just need to figure out how to conceal it in summer garb which for me is jeans and a T-shirt.

--Oxblood
Yeah, I know.... It's hard enough to conceal the G22 as a jeans and T-shirt guy.. let alone a G20.

swoolard

imported post

Springfield Armory XD 45 (.45ACP) with BlackHawk Serpa.

13 round magazine is loaded with both...

Black Hills Ammunition .45 ACP+P 230 gr. JHP
Black Hills Ammunition .45 ACP 230 gr. FMJ

Loaded as such: 3 JHP/10 FMJ

Why? While JHP has a much greater stopping power (not necessarily greater lethality), FMJ performs better for me at medium range distance (5-25 yds.). Also, the +P JHP round is a beast, but it could possibly be stopped by very thick clothing, the FMJ is far less likely to have that issue.

I don't really care to get into the ballistics argument, it's just my opinion and the way I do it.

Charlotte_resident

imported post

I'd been carrying a rather large .357 mag S&W stainless 6 in. barrel revolver my father gave me, just because I didn't have a holster for my Taurus .38 special, but I'm going to switch to the .38 exclusively as soon as I get a holster for it in the next day or two. The .357 is a real heavy gun to carry around, even when walking the dog or going to my apartment's laundry room. Besides, I'm not trying to look intimidating.

FWIW, the FBI says that most gunfights occur at distances of less than three feet and are over with in two shots or less. So that means, in black and white, that while there may be a macho factor to carrying a huge gun with fifteen rounds in it, it's entirely unecessary since a small revolver or even a small Kel-Tec and some cool nerves are all you're going to need.

Another thing: Don't forget that if your gun is heavy enough to pull your waistband down, there's nothing wrong with wearing a nylon or leather duty belt with belt keepers (sold seperately) to reduce that sag and keep the gun steadier and neater looking on your belt. I do.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Depending on my mood when I was out there G17, XD9, or 1911 clone, all rode in BH SERPA holsters

TFED12 wrote:
Colt Combat Commander .45 with Black Talons and Glock 23 with Black Talons.
Take the Black Talons out stow them in their original box. Black Talons are going for a premium on places like gunbroker, they are reaching collector status.

Not to mention the Black Talons are old technology and poor performers compared to newer more modern designed hollow points. Such as Gold Dot, HST, EFMJ ect.

Also I wouldn't want to have to argue the point in court when the edit:prosecution finds out you are running bullets with such a bad PR history, and bullets that have been discontinued for years because of the bad press.

TFED12

imported post

jeepinbanditrider wrote:
Depending on my mood when I was out there G17, XD9, or 1911 clone, all rode in BH SERPA holsters

TFED12 wrote:
Colt Combat Commander .45 with Black Talons and Glock 23 with Black Talons.
Take the Black Talons out stow them in their original box. Black Talons are going for a premium on places like gunbroker, they are reaching collector status.

Not to mention the Black Talons are old technology and poor performers compared to newer more modern designed hollow points. Such as Gold Dot, HST, EFMJ ect.

Also I wouldn't want to have to argue the point in court when the edit:prosecution finds out you are running bullets with such a bad PR history, and bullets that have been discontinued for years because of the bad press.

Having been in LE for fifteen years I have had the oportunity to see many bullets perform in ballistic gels. Black Talons being one of them. I agree Gold Dot and others are excellent performers. However, I am making my decision on personal experience and knowledge. Not sure what performance ratings you got your info from. I assume some BAD PRESS. Also, the technlology may be older but the performance is still top of the line. Contrary to some reports and rumors, Black Talons are NOT teflon coated. They area polyjust like the Winchester Supreme Lubaloxand are now and have always been legal. If the performance of the newer hollow points are so much better, then where is theBAD PRESSon THEM. So, I doubt I will be arguing the issue in court.Several of myLE brothers carry BlackTalons. Onebrotheractually used his firearm loaded with Black Talonswhile off duty about eight years ago.No issues in court. I tend not to rely on PRESS but on experience. Even modern deer cartridges are made of the same materials now. And, I have shot deer with .44 mag Talons and others. The Talons perform much better. Another myth is that Talons willpenetrate Bullet proof vests. NOT TRUE. I have seen the test models. In addition. I use bullets for self defense or hunting. Not collecting. Sure, I could get a little money for them but thats just not what I am into. There are plenty of other things I can collect if I so desire. Just my humble two cents of experience.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

TFED12 wrote:

Having been in LE for fifteen years I have had the oportunity to see many bullets perform in ballistic gels. Black Talons being one of them. I agree Gold Dot and others are excellent performers. However, I am making my decision on personal experience and knowledge. Not sure what performance ratings you got your info from. I assume some BAD PRESS. Also, the technlology may be older but the performance is still top of the line. Contrary to some reports and rumors, Black Talons are NOT teflon coated. They area polyjust like the Winchester Supreme Lubaloxand are now and have always been legal. If the performance of the newer hollow points are so much better, then where is theBAD PRESSon THEM. So, I doubt I will be arguing the issue in court.Several of myLE brothers carry BlackTalons. Onebrotheractually used his firearm loaded with Black Talonswhile off duty about eight years ago.No issues in court. I tend not to rely on PRESS but on experience. Even modern deer cartridges are made of the same materials now. And, I have shot deer with .44 mag Talons and others. The Talons perform much better. Another myth is that Talons willpenetrate Bullet proof vests. NOT TRUE. I have seen the test models. In addition. I use bullets for self defense or hunting. Not collecting. Sure, I could get a little money for them but thats just not what I am into. There are plenty of other things I can collect if I so desire. Just my humble two cents of experience.
Yes I also base my decission off of facts. I know about all the negetive PR (as was stated in my post). Yes I know that it's not Teflon, yes I know they will not penetrate bullet resistant vests. All these things are and were false info on the Black Talons.

Being in LE your day in court would probably be an easy one compared to many of us mere civilians. The newer rounds don't get a bad rap (most times) because they didn't have the advertising campaign that the BTs did back in the day nor the high profile shootings that the press claims the BTs were invovled in.

I just see a lot on the internet where people think that Black Talons are the shiz and nothing out there is better. Just like everything else in the world bullet technology advances.

But carry what you want to carry and what makes you comftrable. If it's BTs then carry BTs if it's FMJ then by all means carry that.

ETA

124grn +p Gold Dot HP on left 200 grn +p EFMJ on the Right.
1911004ov5.jpg

1911001oc5.jpg

380 90grn non +p Gold Dot

coltgovtmodel380001es6.jpg

coltgovtmodel380003xt6.jpg

TFED12

imported post

Jeep, You also bring up an excellent point about FMJ. I actually carry a spare mag loaded with nothing but FMJ. They are excellent for penetrating car doors, walls, and many other solids. I know most Civilians probably will not be shooting through these things but you never know. Many home invasions could involve doors, walls, furniture etc. It's just something to consider. I am glad you mentioned the FMJ.

I have been reading these forums for quite a while now. It's good to see that so many people are becoming OC or concealed for that matter. As a LE it's comforting to know that I might need one of you some day and that chances are there is someone around. I had one experience when I used to be on patrol. It was about 11 pm at night and I had stopped a car full of suspected gang members who I could tell were under the infulence of something. Being that I was on a back country road it was going to be several minutes before any backup could arrive. Two of the subjects exited the vehicle and were giving me a verbally hard time. I noticed a small truck pass by very slow and turn around and stop. To my delight it was a normal citizen and he asked me if would like him to hang arround until my back-up arrived. I asked him if he was armed and he replied "abslolutely!" . I told him to pull in behind me and just keep an eye out. When the subjects saw that I was not alone anymore they retreated back to the vehicle. When My back-up arrived about two miinutes later, we contained the situaton. I walked over to the man that had stopped and shook his hand and thanked him. No, I did not even ask if he had any permit or anything. My Sergeant even wrote him a letter thanking him for his support.

I look at it like we are "All on the same team" when it comes to policing our communities.

I appreciate all the civilians who carry.

rangerdavid

imported post

I carry either a Sig P229 chambered in 40 S&W, or a Bersa .380. I also carry a Tarus pt22 in an ankle holster as backup.

swoolard

imported post

rangerdavid wrote:
I carry either a Sig P229 chambered in 40 S&W, or a Bersa .380. I also carry a Tarus pt22 in an ankle holster as backup.
The Sig P229 in .40SW is a great gun. In fact, that's probably going to be the next one I buy.